Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2005 02:00

musicmatch jukebox plus

I have a DELL 4550. It came installed with musicmatch jukebox. Using the version that came installed, i was able to record from the line in of my soundcard and convert to mp3 files.

I recently had to reinstall musicmatch from the cd's that shipped with the dell box. Now i'm no longer able to record from the line in. It claims that this is a jukebox plus feature.

How come it worked with the original software but not after i reinstalled. I don't want to have to pay to upgrade when if i don't have to.

2.2K Posts

September 7th, 2005 18:00

Perhaps there is a key printed on the CD or a label attached to the CD case, but it is also possible that the key was installed at the factory without being recorded for your use, if necessary following reinstallation.

The basic, free version may be transformed into the Plus version by a numeric key. There have been different versions of retail MMJB CDs in the past that included automatic activation during installation, but I believe the current model for OEM distribution includes the free basic installation and a key to upgrade, if purchased.

Perhaps Dell's policy is to provide a written record of the MMJB Plus key and it was overlooked in this case, or perhaps it was decided that it is the user's responsibility to record the MMJB key if the Plus version is purchased. Either way, if your invoice indicates the Plus version was to be included, Dell Support may be able to provide that number, allowing you to activate the Plus version features. You can use a felt-tip pen to record the number on the installation CD or any other means of recording the information that will allow you to activate the Plus version features if you ever need to reinstall again.

A similar situation exists for those who install the basic version from CD and purchase an upgrade key on-line. In those cases, MusicMatch support may be able to retrieve the purchase records and provide the key.

Those who download the basic version and purchase the upgrade on-line have the additional challenge of finding the same basic version to download again if they need to reinstall some time later and the version for which they have an upgrade key is replaced by a newer version for which their upgrade key is not valid. MM support may be able to provide a download for a previous version that is compatible with the user's upgrade key, but the user is again dependant on customer support to deliver the capability to reinstall.

Whenever feasable, the installation file for downloaded software should be burned to CD and the key should be safely recorded so that the user does not have to rely on product support, which varies in quality from vendor to vendor, and may be vulnerable to error and data loss. The last thing you want to hear is that the records of your purchase cannot be found, or that there is now an additional charge for replacement, or that the replacement can only be sent to the e-mail address you dumped a couple of years ago.

The bad news is that the availability of resources necessary to reinstall is not necessarily getting any simpler, and there are a number of situations that require user research and action to assure reinstallation capability. Those not familiar with the process will likely find numerous instances of complexity and difficulty. Some complexity is unavoidable, but unnecessary difficulty in the process is certainly annoying.

The good news is that Dell Support should/might be able to fix you up with the key to activate the Plus version of MMJB if the records indicate it was purchased as a part of your system.

GM

6 Posts

September 8th, 2005 16:00

thanks for your response. i'll try and contact dell support. since i'm no longer under warranty, i'm not sure about the level of support i'll receive.

i'm trying to convert some of my cassette tapes to mp3. MMJB basic doesn't support this. i'm going thru the convoluted process of using creative recorder (which does support recording from line in) to create .wav files (it will not create mp3 files). then i'm using MMJB to convert these .wav files to mp3.
No Events found!