Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 6th, 2016 03:00

recovery disc

I have a 2006 Dell Media Edition running Windows XP.  It did not come with recovery disc.

Since Windows XP is now defunct, I would like to have the OS on a disc that I can use if necessary.

I have an external backup drive which is saving all my material.  If the system crashes, I would need to have XP re-installed and then I could recover my data from the external drive.

When searching the Internet for instructions, Dell says : click

Start> All Programs> Dell Accessories> Dell OS Recovery CD

The only issue is that I do not have Dell OS Recovery CD in Dell Accessories.  All I have is Driver Reset Tool.

So, what do I do to make a copy of my OS in case I need it?  Also, the internal CD burner no longer burns and I have to use an external burner, which most programs refuse to let me switch to. 

Lastly, I am a user who has a  modicum of knowledge, but I am in no ways a techie - so if anyone answers this post, please keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance

• 

17K Posts

June 6th, 2016 08:00

CBWEISBROT,

The recovery OS Disk maker was for Windows 7 and above. You can click the link below to purchase a Windows xp disk for your computer. Dell no longer has Windows xp disk.

Restore Disk

If you need to replace the internal cdrom drive drive you could search the internet for your computer model and parts for it. You could also try calling the Dell Spare Parts Department at 1-877-717-3355 or search  You can click the other link below to choose your computer from the list and download the online manual. The manual provides information for removing/replacing parts within your computer as well as other helpful information.

Support.dell.com

Discount Electronics

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 6th, 2016 08:00

Windows XP reached End of Life back in April 2014 and the system will be long out of warranty as a consequence Dell cannot provide OS installation media... 

Moreover the Dell Windows XP Media Centre Reinstallation DVD is a relatively rare Edition of Windows XP so can even be difficult to source on the likes of eBay.

Most systems shipped with Media Centre were late Windows XP systems so will run Windows 10 fine and you can likely take the Unofficial Windows 10130 Insider preview path (32 Bit). See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-xpvista-%e2%86%92-windows-10-free-upgrade/

What is the system model?

No Events found!