Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2013 16:00

software issues on xps 12 - cut and paste

I'm having a myriad of software issues with my brand new xps 12 (many reported...around the touchpad and touchscreen becoming non-responsive), but one I haven't seen as publicized is around copy and paste...

i'm finding that over 80% of the time when i highlight something (say an email address on a website) and hit ctrl+c, then move to another application and hit ctrl +v, it doesn't paste. i have to do it a few times for copy and paste to work.

would this be a driver or windows 8 issue? this happens with both the keyboard on the machine as well as when I use an external keyboard.

it really slows me down and is quite annoying.

thanks,

andrew

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 04:00

I uninstalled the keyboard and restarted - still have the issue!

Notepad seems to work well, but I only tried it twice.

I use Outlook mostly for email. It also happens with Gmail though - or attempting to copy and paste in Word from the internet.

Can you recommend anything else?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 04:00

Hi Andrew,

It would be annoying when the cut and paste option does not work properly. I suggest you to check if this issue occurs in Notepad. You will need to uninstall the keyboard from the Device Manager. Restart the computer and check if it fixes the issue.

Please let me know about your findings and the name of the e-mail service provider (E.g. Comcast).

6 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 13:00

I see the same thing from time to time,

I really see it when copying something from the metro screen then pasteing in the old desktop screen.

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 17:00

This is most noticeable for me when trying to copy from the address bar of Google Chrome to the text of an email (in Microsoft Outlook 2010).

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 20:00

But also happens when copying to/from Internet Explorer. I also find it doesn't work to/from Notepad on further testing.

Also, it's not just the keyboard...if I right click and choose copy, then paste in another application, it still doesn't work most of the time.

And even if I successfully cut (and the text disappears), when i hit paste, it will not reappear.

Cheers,

Andrew

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. I suggest you to update the security software installed on the computer and run a complete system scan to check if is infected. You can also uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Office and check it is fixes the issue.

Please let me know about your findings.

6 Posts

January 4th, 2013 12:00

DELL-RAJATH,

He never even said he was seeing problems with Office???

I was seeing this before I had virus software installed and these are also brand spanking new laptops.  If they have viruses on them causing this, they are coming from Dell with viruses on them.

Just grab an XPS 12 and start playing with cutting and pasting and you'll see it sooner rather than later...

5 Posts

January 4th, 2013 20:00

Not sure what you mean by security software? I've had this problem out of the box. I haven't installed any third party security software.

As Typhon62 mentions, this isn't limited to Office...it is across all applications.

I'm kind of fed up with all the problems I'm having...a lot of small ones, but they make using this system counterproductive. Want to like it as the form factor and physical build are great, but the software and drivers are a mess.

If there is a solution that will work, I would appreciate it... but please test it at Dell...don't want to spend hours trying a bunch of random steps.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 8th, 2013 11:00

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for the inconvenience and delay caused. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name ‘DELL-Rajath N’ highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide the system’s Service Tag and contact details (including the name on the account) so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. Please let me know if this helps.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

January 18th, 2013 09:00

Hi Andrew, unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to my post. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2013 08:00

I am having issues cut and pasting in my brand new XPS12.  This seems to be an issue for other people as well.  What gives?

June 29th, 2013 01:00

I bought my Dell XPS 12 in January - have had copy/paste issues from day 1...  I'm not even going to mention the other issues which seem to have been resolved through various updates - when can we expect a fix for this?  Its been 6 months of 50% copy/paste which is unreasonable for a cheap laptop, nevermind an expensive top of the range one... thank you.

1 Message

September 12th, 2013 07:00

I am having exactly the same issue with cut and paste - I've had the unit for about 3 months and it drives me crazy.  Standard unit installed with all Dell software, and standard office install.

also issues that perhaps someone can point to a fix for:

-unit does not wake from sleep when you flip open the screen

-unit does not wake from sleep even when you flick the power switch, and a restart is required

-screen fails and any keyboard stroke causes the screen to flash on, and then turn off - requires restart

-screen does not rotate when you flip the screen around to show others opposite you

-screen does rotate when you flip the screen, however only 90 degrees not 180 degrees when you flip it to show people opposite

-touch pad stalls intermittently

-restart required daily as system performance degrades to the point that I have to wait for the screen to catch up with my typing.... like right now.... ...

-system performance generally is very, very poor given the specification of the machine (8GB RAM!)

-VPN drops intermittently when on a wireless network.

Frankly Dell - this unit is terrible.  I'm hoping that there is a VERY major update to BIOS/Dell control software.... ANYTHING that makes this unit usable...

1 Message

September 17th, 2013 13:00

I am having the same problem across various programs on an XPS 13.  For me, it's usually when simply using control-C & control-V.  When it fails, I typically will go right click Copy & right click Paste.  Are there any known resolutions for this?

2 Posts

January 17th, 2014 11:00

I am having the same problem with a brand new XPS13. 

Can someone from Dell help? this is really annoying.

No Events found!