Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 22nd, 2004 19:00

usb horror

Hi all
My usb ports have all stopped working can't access my digital camera or card reader.I am using dell dimension 2400 windows xp home have installed SP2. What do i do now trash my camera????
Help
Plant

December 22nd, 2004 21:00

plant01,

"USB ports stop working" is not uncommon and the fix seems elusive. Others have reported reinstalling USB drivers didn't work. Do you have any other USB devices? Do they still work? I don't have experience with digital cameras. If it requires installed software, have you tried reinstalling the software.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817900

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;871233

I would also boot into the BIOS and see if USB support is still enabled.
Last case scenerio reformatting your computer may help.
There is also a question of whether static electric shocks can burn out components on the motherboard.

Later, Conrad

Message Edited by Conrad on 12-22-2004 05:08 PM

7.9K Posts

December 23rd, 2004 03:00

right click "my computer" click "properties" click the "hardware" tab click "device manager" ... from there:

1) ensure that you have USB controllers installed -- look for things with yellow question marks or red Xs

2) plug your camera in -- do you hear a beep?  does it come up as an unknown device -- does anything come up at all?  try both USB slots if you have 2.

17 Posts

December 23rd, 2004 16:00

hi

Yes i went into device manager and deleted said items and rebooted they still do not work but thanx for your help m8

3.2K Posts

You did not answer the questions Nemisis asked . . the answers will go a long way towards helping you resolve the issues.  It may be as simple as removing the USB controllers in Device Manager and allowing XP to rediscover them and install the right drivers.

wrs

17 Posts

Hi all

I have tried all my USB hardware on another computer so i know that all the hardware and software is fully functional.I believe the problem started after installing the SP2 upgrade for windows XP,but i have heard also that it is not exactly save to uninstall it as i have heard of complete system crashes.

You would think dell were aware of this problem as when i look in here and on the internet this does not seem to be an uncommon fault. I have several USB ports and have tried them all but to no avail.

Maybe i should just trash my digital camera and this blooming computer!!!!!!!

17 Posts

Hi All

Thanx

17 Posts

Hi All

Thanx for

3.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2004 17:00

what happens when you plug in a usb device? . . does it recognize it and try to load drivers . . or does it not react at all

wrs

3.2K Posts

Did you try the "Scan for new Hardware" in the two Microsoft articles?

wrs

17 Posts

hi again

When i plug in my camera or card reader i get a torch light looking for file autoplay then nothing.

When i got to my computer/ e-drive it say error on folder unable to read outside parameters. What that means i do not know but i am unable to open the e-drive with either the digimax camera or scandisc card reader

Plant

17 Posts

December 23rd, 2004 18:00

Hi Dell told me to try and remove SP2 windows update for XP but i have seen other members in here that have tried that with disasterous results like complete crashes so I'm a bit scared to try it.

17 Posts

hi again

Yes i ran adaware and updated all virus software. I've just been on the phone to dell for 30 mins they seem clueless to so they have given me a number for the software people but that is now closed for whatever period

Plant

7.9K Posts

i would never remove sp2 -- then again, i kinda like it

if you do remove, use add/remove programs under control panel

1 Message

December 29th, 2004 15:00

Hi ,

Iam running a 5150 with XP pro.
Installed SP2 yesterday , and ....................
my usb ports stopped working.
I use a usb optical mouse, it does not get
power. Likewise my camera.

I ve checked att the settings , as suggested here, no joy.
Uninstalled SP2 OK , and USB  ports work fine.

Sorry to be so dumb , but were might I find USB drivers ?

Richnan
No Events found!