Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2021 03:00

Precision or Vostro

Hi all,

I'm buying a couple of laptops for my company (c35 people). In the past the drive has always been "get the cheapest" hence we have consultants struggling with very poor £300 HP 'special deals' that are just not fit for purpose!

I've, therefore, been trying to migrate over to Dell as laptops come up for renewal.

I've typically either bought from EuroPC or Dell refurbished.

My question is whether itw worth paying the c£200+ on a Precision 3551 over a Vostro? I'd only go for 2020/21 chips. The Precision I'm looking at as an i5-10400H processor and I prefer the unrestricted chips as you get that bit more power out of them. The Vostros will have the 'g' chips either 11xGx or 10xGx.

The users are desk based (in the main) so portability is less important than power. Also my company is cloud based so they will mainly be using browser windows, but probably many windows open at a time (10+).

My final concern is the Dell warranty. Precisions come with the 3yr Dell warranty out of the box, whereas with the Vostros directly from the Dell outlet, there's no options to extend beyond 1 year.

Advice/opinions gratefully received!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 13th, 2021 06:00

Your comparisons are correct.

My suggestion when I'm asked what to buy is "buy over what you think you need" or "buy as much as your wallet can stand".  I've had many clients thank me for the suggestion to buy more than you think you need.

I worked for a US Government agency and all procurement's were commercial/business quality.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 13th, 2021 05:00

The Vostro's are Dell's "entry level" business line.  Not much different from the consumer line.

The Latitude is Dell's "workstation" commercial line.

I'm a retired LAN/WAN Network and Hardware Help Desk Manager.  If I were to buy for a business and had to chose between the two it would be the Latitude's.

16 Posts

May 13th, 2021 06:00

Thanks for that @fireberd and would you choose the Precision over the Latitude? I'm finding the 3 year standard warranty on the Precision to be quite a persuasive argument as on most Latitudes (certainly from Dell Refurbished) you need to spend a few extra pounds to get the warranty.

Am I right in comparing the Dell business laptops to (for example) the VAG group cars - Vostro = Skoda, Latitude = VW and Precision = Audi?

(I guess XPS must be a top end VW?!)

16 Posts

May 13th, 2021 07:00

Thanks @fireberd , you and I are quite alike in that regard, I always buy the best that I can afford (even a little bit beyond!) on the basis that, in the grander scheme of things, and extra £100-£200 for greater peace of mind is well worth it. That's why, after flirting with other hardware companies, I always come back to Dell as, in the main, their kit is solid, reliable and decent quality.

I think I'm sold on the Precisions, great spec for around £725.

Thanks for your help

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 13th, 2021 09:00

I think you made the best choice.   I hope they do well for you.

Jack

No Events found!