Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M2

August 5th, 2015 00:00

RDP connects with XP Pro but not with Win 7 Ultimate???

Post RDP connects with XP Pro but not with Win 7 Ultimate???

XP Pro & Win 7 on same router with same static IP address. The XP Pro RDP connects with the Droid X & your Pocket Cloud paid version but when I added my Win 7 Ultimate it says that the username or password is wrong even though I verified & re-entered the exact password several times. I have the Wyse Companion software installed in the Win 7 Ultimate machine. The settings are clearly set to allow RDP. Rebooted the Droid X & the Win 7 computer --- it did not help. I thought logging in on the Droid X with the gmail login would help in its settings--autodiscovery login. I do not see anything on the Win7 Computer that allows me to put the Gmail login within the Wyse Companion software so I tried running my email login at the same time also. What can causes the Wyse Remote Desktop to say the login or password is incorrect even though it is correct along with the correct Static IP Address???

The only thing different with the settings from the XP Pro machine is the local area IP address & the machine name & the login name & password. The port used on both is 3389 as they both use the same Motorola 3347 Router.

200 Posts

August 10th, 2015 02:00

1) Is the Win 7 machine part of a Domain? (e.g. a work PC?). If so, you need to include the Domain as part as the user name to log in: \
2) Can you try to connect from the XP machine to the Win 7 machine to see what happens?

Wyse PocketCloud Team

Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post

1) Is the Win 7 machine part of a Domain? (e.g. a work PC?). If so, you need to include the Domain as part as the user name to log in: \
2) Can you try to connect from the XP machine to the Win 7 machine to see what happens?
1. It is just a workgroup local network. My understanding is that I would have to have a Microsoft Server to establish an actual domain. I am not using any server software that sets up an actual domain. I set it up the same as the XP machine except that the username is different. I do not see any entry place on Wsye to put in the computer name - just the user name & IP address, resolution, & port. I notice your maximum resolution setting is less than the 1920 x 1200 on the host machine. Port is the recommended 3389. Nickname seems less important but I did put a made up nickname to tell the difference between that & the Win XP machine. Console mode is left in its default "off" setting.

2. The XP machine along with 2 laptops on the workgroup do not have any trouble connecting to the lone Win 7 machine. I do notice that XP does ask for the specific computer name besides just the username & password during the RDP login though.

145 Posts

We would like to get some more information on this issue.

1. Were you able to see the windows logon screen when using blank username and password?
2. What error are you getting when you connect with blank username and password?
3. What language keyboard are you using?

Sure we will try our level best to resolve all your issues.

Wyse PocketCloud Team

200 Posts

Please try the following on your Win 7 Machine:
1) Right Click on "Computer" and select "Properties"
2) Select "Remote Settings"
3) Make sure that the "Remote Desktop" settings is set to: "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop"

Wyse PocketCloud Team

145 Posts

For troubleshotting, can you keep the user name and password field blank in the pocketcloud connection page. This will bring the windows logon screen when you connect, try login from the windows logon screen and let us know the results.

Wyse PocketCloud Team

Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post

Please try the following on your Win 7 Machine:
3) Make sure that the "Remote Desktop" settings is set to: "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop"
This is the first item that I definitely knew enough to make sure that setting was set properly like you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by sarun View Post

For troubleshotting, can you keep the user name and password field blank in the pocketcloud connection page. This will bring the windows logon screen when you connect, try login from the windows logon screen and let us know the results.
I tried 3 times what you suggested with the pocketcloud name & password field blank. It tries to log in for about a 30 seconds so I would say that the static ip address got to the host router but for some mysterious reason the proper user name & password does not get me in. The password field goes blank after a minute of trying if that is any clue. Also, when I tried this latest approach that you suggest --- now it does not tell me I have an incorrect password if that is useful information.

Let me know if you run out of suggestions because I can get by without the Windows 7 remote desktop for now until you update the software etc. On another future post I hope you can address some issues I am having with a more needed Win XP Pro SP3 remote desktop after successful connections are made.

August 10th, 2015 03:00

Quote: We would like to get some more information on this issue.

1. Were you able to see the windows logon screen when using blank username and password? 
Yes 
2. What error are you getting when you connect with blank username and password?
No sign of any error message just a delay & then the password goes away
3. What language keyboard are you using?
English
Sure we will try our level best to resolve all your issues.

I will try to follow your suggestions & answer your questions but if you need to just say "new update coming soon" do so! Thanks

145 Posts

mjwalsh,

Can you please create a new user in windows 7 and try accessing using the same. I am suspecting the user profile might have corrupted. Make sure user has administrator or Remote Desktop User privilege.

Unfortunately this is the first time we are hearing about this issue and could not simulate the issue in our environment. As of now we do not have any update coming for this issue but would like to root cause the issue. 

Thanks

Wyse PocketCloud Team

Sarun,

I did try the whole new account with the Remote Desktop User Privilege. Same problem. I also tried to see if the 1920 x 1200 screen resolution had any bearing on the situation by matching a lower resolution. Still same problem. Hopefully, we will find the root cause eventually & I am glad to hear that it is just my Windows 7 install & not a bunch of others in the meantime I will be looking for other clues possibly with other phone remote desktop software with my specific Win 7 machine. The install has been flawless in all other ways for about 6 months ---- since I added Microsoft Security Essentials & got rid of the other protection software. Since my greater need is to resolve the instability that I have with the Wyse Pocket Cloud on my Windows XP SP3 machine I will be posting a separate post for that. I will be watching other posters in case they come up with a solution to a similar non connect situation that is isolated to a specific machine on the same Workgroup & Router address of another connecting machine. Thanks.

No Events found!