Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

August 5th, 2015 22:00

cant get it working!

cant get it working!

I can get this working with gmail--but I dont want to--I would like to set up manual connections--but everytime I try-I get the error:

I want to use pocketcloud to rdp into my windows 7 machine at work
I have turned off the firewall
I was able to get it working using the gmail auto setup

I would like to be able to create a manual connection by putting in my machines ip address-but all I get is :
"connection failed could not connect to server"

please help!

Also, at home, I would like to VNC into my machine and remote control it --rdp is no good- I need to control the screen from my phone, but have the output go to my TV monitor

This I also got to work using gmail connection--but I would like to do it manually.

thanks in advance

(ps. firewall is disabled
pocket cloud desktop app is installed and running )

6 Posts

August 12th, 2015 02:00

I installed tight VNC and now I do show listening on port 5900

However, I cannot RDP or VNC with manual connection setup

-I can connect via google sign in

My question is:

what is google sign in doing to allow connections?

Can I replicate this to successfully connect manually?

Do I have to set up port forwarding on the router?
do I have to use public ip address(whatismyip.com) , or can I connect to private address(192.168.xx.xx) within my LAN?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

Please take a look at our knowledge-base topic on how to create a manual connection here:

http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/e...on-your-router

If you are only seeing a RDP connection, it sounds as though you need to install a VNC client. You can download TightVNC here:

http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php

Please let me know if this does not help.

1.3K Posts

You will need to set up port forwarding on the router for a manual connection and you will need to use the public IP address when connecting from outside of your home network. On your home network you can use your private IP address.

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

1.3K Posts

Port forwarding is not needed if you are connecting from the same network using a manual connection. You can just enter the local IP address. If you are connecting from outside of your, it is needed to properly rout from your public IP address to the private network one. Using the companion does all of this for you automatically. The reason you need to specify the specific RDP/VNC port so it can make it through your firewall etc. 

If you have more than one machine on your network, you will use the Private IP address and port forwarding on your router to make sure it gets to the right place.

Josh Maurer

6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post

You will need to set up port forwarding on the router for a manual connection and you will need to use the public IP address when connecting from outside of your home network. On your home network you can use your private IP address.
Thanks for your reply.

could you please explain why port forwarding is needed for manual connection. I will be accessing the remote machine from within my lan.

I think of port forwarding with setting up a router to receive external requests and forward them to internal LAN address. Why do I need to specify the RDP/VNC port forwarding on my home router.

What if I have more than one machine that I would like to connect to within my LAN?

1.3K Posts

Please take a look at our knowledge-base topic on how to create a manual connection here:

http://pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com/e...on-your-router

If you are only seeing a RDP connection, it sounds as though you need to install a VNC client. You can download TightVNC here:

http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php

Please let me know if this does not help.

Josh Maurer

No Events found!