Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 29th, 2015 22:00

I'm confused

I'm confused

I hope you can assist me. I'm not really sure what to do with this app I just purchased. I can't connect to my iMac, probably because the resolution is too high. It crashes every time since the first time I was able to load it (could watch it load 1 line of pixels across the screen every 30 seconds or so). Even in my little XP installation I've got the worst refresh rate I've ever seen, and the phone's landscape mode is useless as the resolution doesn't adjust for anything but portrait.

I'm no VNC expert but I'm running on 30mbit cable and I've never had issue with such refresh rates. Bandwidth freshly tested, other VNC clients tested, there's nothing I can do on my end short of maybe changing resolutions to 640x480. I'm not going to leave the house and set my resolution down to 1995 standards (not that I even could, especially on the iMac).

Please, I'm not trying to be rude, but what am I supposed to do with this application? I hope I didn't just waste $15. The app description made no note that no Mac client was included capable of changing the screen resolution. If I'm reading the situation correctly, this means a 27" iMac user or an owner of a cinema display is out of luck unless they leave the house and set their resolution down. If I can plan to need VNC beforehand, I can plan to not need it at all.

I know that the standards used by your app are fairly universal, and it seems that other VNC apps that do work for me are compressing the image. Either way, I'm unsure how to proceed. I'm not angry, I'm just dealing with the initial shock that one feels when they think they may have just wasted money that they probably shouldn't have 

200 Posts

Let me try to help you out, hopefully we can narrow things down based on the following feedback
1) What iPhone version do you have (e.g. iPhone4, 3G, 3GS, etc)? Different phones have different 
2) What iOS version are you running? (e.g. 10.6?)
3) Do you know what the actual resolution for your Mac is? (e.g. 1280x1024)?
4) What version of XP do you have on your PC? (e.g. Pro, Home?). What were you doing when you had a low refresh rate?

Wyse PocketCloud Team

6 Posts

Thanks for the response! Here's the info.
1. iPhone 4
2. OS 10.6.5
3. 2560x1440
4. XP Pro SP3, 800x600, anything really. If I clicked the start menu I could watch it appear in small sections at a time. Browsing with firefox was the same.

200 Posts

August 1st, 2015 03:00

This is very strange, based on your settings everything should work. Are both devices connected to the same network ? or are they remote (e.g. connecting over 3G)? One thing that comes to mind are network problems.

Wyse PocketCloud Team

200 Posts

August 6th, 2015 01:00

Jarland,
It sounds like a bandwidth problem. Have you tried changing the Desktop Background to a full-color (as oposed to a picture)? PocketCloud utilizes 16-bit Color for VNC, which results in good visual quality. We are working on a LOW Quality mode (low bandwidth) for a future release.

mvanoosten,
You are not required to install anything on your Mac. The PocketCloud Mac companion is for users that don't know how to manually enable VNC on their Macs and when your Mac and iPad/iPhone are in different networks. If you know how to enable VNC, you can simply create a new VNC connection and enter the IP address of your Mac (as long as you are on the same network).

Wyse PocketCloud Team

6 Posts

Was tested over my wifi, running a brand new airport extreme. I ran Jaadu VNC over the network last night, I know it uses a different protocol, but its speed was flawless. Granted, it changed the iMac's resolution, but then my XP's resolution is already pretty low.

200 Posts

30mbit down and 2mbit up should be more than enough for a decent user experience. Can you try manually changing the iMac resolution to see if that improves your performance? I've sent you a separate message with additional instructions of other things we could test.

Yes, the VNC protocol is what compresses the display images. But VNC can be configured for different compression levels. We will add a low quality mode in the future; However, based on the 2mbit you have, we should be getting good performance already. 

Both devices are on the same WiFi network right? Do you have any other devices that might be causing interference?

Wyse PocketCloud Team

6 Posts

Is there a common thread with the iMac? I have it running successfuly on a MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, Mac Mini, and several Windows machines (XP, 7, 2003, 2008 VM's) If I am on a restricted link (3g MiFi)I can see a difference, but it is still very usable. When I am on my LAN, it performs as good as I would hope. 

Are you using the Auto-Discovered connection, or creating a manual connection?

Also, all of my usage has been on an iPad, iPod, and HTC EVO (android) But I assume performance of iPad would be nearly identical to that of iPhone4.

1 Message

I have the same problem and heard almost everybody has this problem on every system, I just want to connect to my iMac macosx 10.6. I do not want to download extra's it just has to work, is there anybody with an idea or do I just have to take the loss?

6 Posts

Still painfully slow on the iMac (to the point of crashing the app), unusually slow on the XP. I'm not sure how I could have a bandwidth issue. I assume my connections are all local, but even if they aren't I'm looking at 30mbit down and 2mbit up. While not an impressive upload speed, it's been more than enough for other VNC clients. Perhaps you can tell me, is it the VNC protocol itself that compresses the image or is that the doing of an individual client? I ask because Pocket Cloud appears to give me quite a clear image. More so than say...Jaadu. But then if I were stumbling onto a realization that your compression wasn't high enough to transmit over a local wifi (with no other traffic on the router), I assume every other user would be in the same boat as myself. Regardless, I suppose I'm brainstorming here.

No Events found!