Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 6th, 2015 07:00

Building Reference Device on Wyse R00L?

Building Reference Device on Wyse R00L?

My WSM Pilot in a box came with a R00L with 2gb flash memory. I connected a usb DVD and loaded Windows XP SP3 from Microsoft distribution media. I now have only 59 mb of free space. How do I get the rest of the Microsoft updates and my applications loaded?

-Do I upload this basic build to the Core server, set the cache to private mode, boot a non-flash enabled R00L and continue loading?
-Purchase 2gb more flash for the reference device and build my image here noting that I can never exceed 4gb?

* A typical fat PC image for my School running XP Pro is around 10gb.

9 Posts

That works 
My preferred method these days is using an external USB drive, and following the instructions here: http://reboot.pro/10126/

21 Posts

The answer to my original question, for the benefit of any other new users :

-boot to the R00Le (hold the "P" key down as it is powering up and select DVD) with Windows XP installation media
-install XP, don't bother doing Windows updates - they won't fit!
-use thumb drive to load SMBus,video,audio and nic drivers from Wyse website
-upload the reference device to your WSM server, make sure to leave the OS image in the "private mode"
-Boot a R00L device, continue loading updates, and applications
-after you are all set turn cache to persistent or volatile

32 Posts

I did this on the same device youre working with in the following manner:

I did the following:
Aquired a power supply unit, shorted the green and one black grounding wire on this with a paper clip, to make it run without being connected to a motherboard.
Aquired a 2.5" HDD drive, opened the Wyse R00L and connected the SATA cable to one of the SATA ports on the motherboard, and the connected a power kable from the shorted PSU.
Created a bootable USB pen drive with Windows 7 installation on it and connected it to the Wyse terminal
Held P while booting and set the HDD to primary boot device
Help P while booting and booted from the USB pen drive
Installed Windows 7 to the HDD
Rebooted to HDD after installation and made my changes to the image
Installed the WSM client files
Ran the image capture process
Shutdown the device and changed boot priority to NIC
Fixed everything on the WSM server to make the Wyse boot from network using the new image
Voila 

No Events found!