Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

63 Posts

November 13th, 2018 19:00

Dell 8930, HDMI to Sony 43" monitor issue on restart.

Just working with my new 8930 and ran in to what I would call a quirk,  and I hope this makes sense...

New computer with I7 8086 CPU,  SSD os drive 2TB storage drive and a 1tb ssd on a PCI card in x4 PCIE slot. 32GB Ram,  Windows 10 Pro.

System has only the On Board Video adapter no graphics adapter added (at this time),  No Game use only as a workstation with a 1080p monitor.  I am using Samsung 43"  smart TV with 2 HDMI in.   Everything works great,  when I start up the computer the monitor sees the computer fine,   but, when I want to restart the computer I hit restart and the computer goes thru the reboot sequence but the monitor just say No source HDMI.  Id I do a hard restart everything comes up fine.   I have tried both HDMI ports on the TV and Talked with Samsung today. 

I do have a 2nd system in the studio,  It is also hooked up to the monitor via HDMI to HDMI 2,   it is a XPS 8300 but this one has a graphics card with 2gb of ram, but also runing HDMI....  Id I start the computer from a cold boot,  everything is fine  (Like the 8900)   but with the 8300  I do a reboot and the monitor works just fine in both HDMI Port on thee TV. 

My way around it just do a shut down vs restart... but I'd like to fix it so I can do an restart if I need to so I thought I"d ask here. 

I have turned off the sleep modes,  set the computer to "Performance mode)  and from the cold boot.. everything looks and works great, it is only on a restart that this happens..    Yes,  the computer is coming up,  just the monitor is not seeing a source (HDMI) on that port. 

Hope this makes sense, 

Dave

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

November 14th, 2018 05:00

Using the TV remote, have you tried selecting a different input source on the TV and then switching back to the HDMI source you are connected to after your reboot? Also on the computer there are two video outputs, DisplayPort and HDMI, is there a way to make sure the video signal is coming from the HDMI output on reboot?

Note: Typo on subject line "Sony" vs "Samsung" in text.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 14th, 2018 11:00

Didn't think you could buy an XPS 8930 without an add-in video card. :Surprise:

Have you tried the other HDMI input port on the TV, since you said there are two?

When you restart and there's no HDMI signal, does the PC's power button blink? Count the number of blinks.

What version of BIOS are you running? Do you have the latest Intel chipset drivers and Intel Graphics drivers installed?

63 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 19:00

Ron,  Yes you can buy the 8930 with out an optional Video card (at least 3 weeks ago )  I worked with Dell Pro Tech Support on Wednesday for 2 hours and made sure everything was up to date...  and they are.  We even ran the hardware diagnostics and everything passed the tests.   I only use 1080p 60hz on the HDMI off the back panel to the monitor.  There are 2 HDMI ports on the TV,  I"ve checked both ports and different cables, still the same. 

The power light comes on and stays lite when I do a restart,  no blinking.  

63 Posts

November 22nd, 2018 19:00

Vic,   I"ve tried about every combination of hookups, even bought a new HDMI cable...

The monitor works with my XPS 8300 and my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 laptop with HDMI out... both the other computers work fine with the monitor.... NO problem at all... cold boot or restart.... they work fine!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2018 10:00

You didn't answer any of my previous questions...

1. What version of BIOS?
  2. What color is PC's power button when there's no video output? And if it's blinking, count the blink code.
  3. Do you have the latest Intel chipsets and Intel HD Graphics video drivers installed?

New questions:

1. Exactly what 'sleep' settings did you turn off?
  2. Have you looked at your active Power plan's Additional Options? Did you disable Hibernation, Hybrid Sleep, and PCI Express Link State Management? And disable USB Selective Suspend, for good measure.

We're trying to help, but we're working in a vacuum when you don't answer our queries...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 23rd, 2018 12:00

Try turning off Fast Startup.

That should help make Restarts and cold-boots more similar.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

November 23rd, 2018 14:00

The Fast Startup setting is found in All settings / System / Power & sleep (on left) / Additional power settings (on right) / Choose what the power buttons do (on left) / uncleck the option "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"

63 Posts

November 24th, 2018 18:00

Sorry for the delay iin getting back to all of you... as an update,  I received my DP to HDMI Cable last night,  today I had some time to go in to the studio and hook it up... No Change,  

RE BIos version,  When I was out in the studio testing the cable the service assistant showed a Bios update... I went ahead and did it. .No Change but had to go back in and change what I had done....  It did not help my Restart issue.

When I restart the system the system shows restarting, then the screen goes blank,  and it seems to just sit there the monitor says no source...  The power light is solid white when it is back up but no video.

I will try to get out and check the other setting tomorrow... if not, I'll do it Monday

By the way,  My mistake,  the TV - Monitor is actually a Samsung Smart TV with 2 HDMI ports on it... ..

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 25th, 2018 12:00

@davidk1952 wrote:

Sorry for the delay iin getting back to all of you... as an update,  I received my DP to HDMI Cable last night,  today I had some time to go in to the studio and hook it up... No Change,  

RE BIos version,  When I was out in the studio testing the cable the service assistant showed a Bios update... I went ahead and did it. .No Change but had to go back in and change what I had done....  It did not help my Restart issue.

When I restart the system the system shows restarting, then the screen goes blank,  and it seems to just sit there the monitor says no source...  The power light is solid white when it is back up but no video.

I will try to get out and check the other setting tomorrow... if not, I'll do it Monday

By the way,  My mistake,  the TV - Monitor is actually a Samsung Smart TV with 2 HDMI ports on it... ..

A new Intel Graphics UHD driver was posted on Dell's site on 11/23/18 for the XPS 8930. So make sure you grab that before going any further. And also check you have the 4 latest Intel chipset driver(s) and the Intel Management Engine firmware update for Win 10.

And if that doesn't help, any chance you can test an HDMI monitor with this PC instead of the Samsung Smart TV? That'll tell us if the problem is with the PC or with the TV...

Not sure what you meant when you said you had "to change what I had done" after doing the BIOS update.

You might want to try turning Intel Ready Mode Technology off in BIOS setup too, if still no joy...

63 Posts

November 25th, 2018 19:00

I was looking at the information on the UHD Graphics driver update... Is there anything that tells what the update was for?  Some manufactures are pretty good at detailing what the update - Fix was for.  I will again check my version, but I am pretty sure when I ran the Updated it caught all the Up Dates... but I"ll check it again tomorrow.   Any chance you might know what the update was for?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

November 26th, 2018 04:00

I don't know what the update was for, but I am confused about the difference between Dell's driver Release Date, Last Updated date, and Version number. Sometimes the Last Update date is changed but the Version number remains the same as a previous version. I would not go by Last Release date alone.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 26th, 2018 11:00

We only know what Dell posts on the page for each driver or BIOS update because that's all they make public.

I suspect, but have no evidence, the latest Intel UHD graphics driver may be to ensure compatibility with the latest release of Win 10, build 1809, that you'll get through Windows Update sooner or later. Older Intel graphics drivers caused installation of 1809 to fail. That was at least part of the reason Microsoft withdrew 1809 (several times) back in Oct.  MS wants the Intel graphics driver to be updated before installing 1809.

I'd install this update even if it only ensures compatibility with 1809 because we're trying to fix your video issue.  Your current driver might be corrupted, so this gives you the potential to fix that and get prepared for the new Win 10 build at the same time. A 2-fer!

As for driver dates and version numbers, rule of thumb is always choose the one with the latest (highest) version number, regardless of release dates, last update dates or anything else. Dell has never been explicit about  those date changes, but sometimes an older driver might get re-posted on a server so it gets a new date, or maybe they modified the driver's installer app and gave it a later date. Our requests for explanations of dates etc always go nowhere. :TongueTied:

No Events found!