Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

10 Posts

June 4th, 2020 08:00

XPS 600, code 4 two beeps

Hello Dell Community! I have a 2007 Dell XPS 600 desktop that I am wanting to bring back to life after not using for about four years now. I had this PC give me problems back in 2016 and couldn’t figure it out and gave up. Here I am in 2020 wanting to get my gaming machine back up and running and I’d also like to see what it’s specs are compared to modern builds. It did have an upgraded graphics card at the time. I used to play world of Warcraft on it and want to get back into it and ideally others. Would be nice to also see what data I left on it before this computer was giving me issues as college had just ended and anything prior to then could be on here.

Anyhow, enough back story. This desktop is giving me a green light code 4 when I try to boot up, with two beeps and a black screen. I have the PDF owners manual and service manual for this computer, and even the list of light codes and beep codes mentioned don’t include a single “4” showing for list of errors; nor just two beeps as a beep code (most if not all are three pattern beeps).

It was frustrating back then and is now to have a manual that doesn’t mention the issues I’m having, and I’ve seen some people mention this phantom code 4 but with no solid answers and several other issues relating to power.  Let me break my scenario down:

- I replaced the CMOS battery and no change.

- Power is fine, power light goes amber to green as per normal startup routine and holds green. The system holds power. The codes all cycle through the trouble lights and land on code 4 after sitting on 1&4 for maybe 10-20 seconds. I’m only mentioning 1&4 as it’s the last one I see before it lands on 4 with two beeps and the 1&4 stays there a little longer than the other checks. I don’t know if that makes a difference or if it’s normal.

- The two beeps is ONLY two beeps. One after another. I’ve seen beeps are normally consistent in pattern and on-going, but I just get two beeps and that’s it. The 4 stays lit the entire time then on.

- The fans seem to be fine, I have heard them spin on and off while trying to boot.

- I’ve tried reseating the power cable, reseating and running with select RAM trying to check for RAM failures, no change in diagnostic.

Could anyone shed some light on this? Worst case I’m thinking this case is so big and engineered well that gutting it and using the case for a modern build might work nicely. Before I consider that route though I’d like to see if I can operate with what I have, as this was pretty beastly with the games I played pre-2016.  Thank you to anyone who has read and has any input!!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 4th, 2020 10:00

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln284978/a-reference-guide-to-the-dell-optiplex-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en

4 RCM BIOS checksum failure—Recovery mode
  • Reset the BIOS and clear the NVRAM.
  • If this occurred after a Windows update, verify that your startup was not corrupted.

June 4th, 2020 13:00

Thank you so much, this is getting me in the right direction!  My one question in this process, is it says to use the password jumper for the RTCRST, I'm noticing I have jumpers on both sets of pins.  Would I need to remove the password jumper then in this case or just leave it where it is?  Should it be on the pins or not while I use the other jumper on the RTCRST?

Don't know how important it is, just noticing it doesn't mention if you happen to have two jumpers in both locations lol.

June 4th, 2020 13:00

I just did the jumper on RTCRST with no change, waited longer than ten seconds while the adapter was connected to be sure.  Am I supposed to turn the computer on while the jumper is connected or just have power connected?

June 4th, 2020 14:00

Also, how do I know which pins out of the three are the right two to be using?

My friend gave me this computer before I had it and the jumpers may not even be in the correct position on the three pins.  How do I know i'm actually resetting or if im on the wrong pins out of the three?  I can't find a proper picture of it in manuals anywhere it just shows the position of the three pins not which pins are actually the active ones to reset with.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 4th, 2020 16:00

Have you read page 19 in the Service Manual about using the RTCRST jumper (#15 on motherboard, page 75) to reset BIOS?  It tells you where the jumper should be moved and where it should be placed when you're done:

a. Locate the 3-pin CMOS jumper (CLR CMOS) on the system board
b. Remove the jumper plug from pins 1 and 2.
c. Place the jumper plug on pins 2 and 3 and wait approximately 5 seconds.
d. Replace the jumper plug on pins 1 and 2.

And you don't plug PC in or turn it on until step 4 in that procedure. Read the manual...!

June 5th, 2020 08:00

Hi Rohe thank you for your response and yes I’ve been reading procedure all over online and PDF manual. My question with the pins is none are clearly labelled, how do you know which pin is PIN 1 of the three pins? I have two jumpers, one for PSWD and one for CMOS, I know their locations and I’ve tried several ways to try and to it with both. No success yet, it would be nice if these manuals displayed labelling of the pins though, similar to how the manual shows pin breakdowns on power supply connectors.

June 5th, 2020 08:00

To add more detail here, I tried the procedure in both positions. Ideally, it would either work or not work on both positions as one position would be correct and the other just a resting spot for the jumper. So either way at this point, I should have done the procedure by now? And there is no change to my green light code 4 with two beeps cannot get through POST.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 5th, 2020 11:00

Pin numbers are usually printed on the motherboard. Or "CLR", "Reset" or something similar may be printed on the motherboard near pin 3 which is the one used to clear BIOS. Pin 2 is always used. And pin 1 is used for "normal" operating mode.

But I don't know why you're futzing with that RTCRST (BIOS CLR) jumper in the first place. If you pull the motherboard battery and press/hold power button for  ~30 sec, BIOS is cleared and reset to the defaults when you reinstall the battery.

And why are you futzing with the password jumper? If you can get into BIOS setup, there is no password.

How many PCI-e x16 video cards are installed in this PC? If only one, have you tried the other PCI-e x16 slot?

If you have two video cards, you cannot have any card in the PCI-e x1 slot.

Have you reseated everything in its slot and checked all cable connections to/from motherboard, to/from drives and to/from front panel?

Have you disconnected everything, except the boot drive and one video card, and removed all RAM except the module in slot 1 (closest to CPU), cleared BIOS by removing the battery and then tried to boot? And then swap all the other RAM modules into slot 1 and repeat...

Do you have a spare, compatible video card you can test in this PC?

Are you sure the RAM is compatible with this system?

June 5th, 2020 12:00

Thank you Ron,  I will have to look for the CLR or RESET markings on the motherboard.  Glad to hear that there is some sort of indicator, I read somewhere the procedure was "remember the original position", lol.

I'm fussing with it because I thought on desktops this would need to be reset, along with changing the battery? I replaced CMOS on my laptop and read underneath the jumper procedure that laptops reset simply with the battery removal but I thought desktops take this next step over laptops? If taking out the battery is the exact same thing, don't see why they would even include this.  I did NOT hold the power button when I put the battery in, I guess I need to retry this? Normally I am working inside my computer with no power attached; i'm assuming keep power unplugged from the wall while removing the battery and holding power? (Sorry if that sounds beginner, I just want to follow the right precautions)

I currently don't think I am getting into bios setup?  I can't see anything on the screen, the codes cycling through is the POST happening before startup, correct? The light turns on, fans go, goes from amber to solid green, codes cycle through and get stuck on "4" with two single beeps one after another, then silence with the solid green "4" lit.

My old friend and dad had owned this PC since new and were very tech involved, they installed an upgraded nvidia graphics card on this PC. They had three of these beasts gaming in their basement.  From what I see, I am only seeing one video and one audio card.

I have not gone through reseating every single connection.  I have attempted this with the RAM slots as I ran into a failed RAM on my laptop that way.  I do not have any spare parts to play with, and I compatibility i'd like to say yes because it was running but how could I confirm that?

I was hoping that a code system would prevent me from trying to diagnose this like a car problem lol.  The manual has no mention of this error yet it clearly is possible with the machine.  Sad that they did not include all possible errors in the troubleshooting manual.  I guess from here an easy step is to retry reseating the battery and holding the power button, and then from there checking connections. I'm still shocked how there's a code that does not have a direct problem associated with it.....

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 5th, 2020 12:00

There's a capacitor on the motherboard that holds a charge for a while even after PC is unplugged and motherboard battery is removed. So pressing/holding the power button for ~30 sec drains that charge and clears BIOS. Some peeps just leave PC unplugged for a few hours or longer to let the charge drain "naturally", but why wait? Dell only documents beep and LED error codes they've programmed into the PC, assuming -for example- compatible RAM and video card are installed, etc. Sometimes unexpected things happen and cause an undocumented code. If your friends are so tech savvy, maybe they can help you solve the problems since they know this system..? And sorry, for the long, run-on paragraph. The forum's formatting and toolbars suddenly don't seem to be working for me. Just another undocumented "error code"!

June 5th, 2020 16:00

Ah I see, I can go ahead and give it a try but I don't think this is the problem.  This system was not in use for at least 3 years, so battery probably died, and I took the old battery out and had it out overnight before getting a new battery in.  I've done the jumper procedures as well, so my guess is this has nothing to do with resetting bios.

Seems like rambling now, but this should be easier imo.  Lack of documentation makes it for a harder troubleshoot. I appreciate the help.

No Events found!