Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2019 18:00

XPS 8500, error code 2000-0142

Hello.

My XPS 8500 has been slowing down and hanging sporadically (but many times per day). The windows task manager process list shows the disk at 100% when this happens, but shows no one process using very much disk capacity ... all the processes maybe add up to a few percent.

I ran diagnostics and received an error code 2000-0142. It would appear that perhaps I need a new hard drive?

The hard drive is a 1TB SATA 7200 RPM HD part number 8WDYM.

Given the age of the machine (approx 8 years old), can anyone recommend a replacement HD?

Many thanks.

Larry

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 26th, 2019 03:00

I recommend a Western Digital Black 1TB hard drive (WD1003FZEX). I would recommend backing up your data before your current hard drive completely fails.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

July 26th, 2019 05:00

consider upgrading to SSD (sata) boot drive. any will work and make the PC run like you've never seen.

11 Posts

July 26th, 2019 07:00

Already backed it up. Do you feel that this WD drive will be able to work in this computer? As long as it's a 7200RPM 3.5"?

11 Posts

July 26th, 2019 07:00

Do you happen to have a recommendation on a specific SSD replacement drive?

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

July 26th, 2019 08:00

go to Newegg.com

click on SSD drives, (sata)  all those work, every one that is why SATA spec, exists to WORK as a standard.

I can plug in 1000 drives, and all work 1 by 1,

the only limit will  be if you have huge drive and not using GPT format , the 2GB problem can rear its ugly head

but is not the drives fault.  its just the limits set long ago on MBR and even that can be tweaked higher using larger clusters. but I am sure you know to use GPT ,right.?

a fresh w10 install does all that  all by itself. using MS installer.

just buy it and use it.  Newegg has great return policy, and me, never needed to use  that ever.

one why that can play out , well, is buying video cards that fail, so very easy on UEFI  PCs (full blown)

but not SSD  ok?

just last week I did fresh install w10 on 128GB old SSD on my Dell T3610(love it), and (it was erased first by me) then it installed fresh, version 1903 for sure. not older) and it just asks the silly MS questions, that I click no to 10 times, and in minutes its working,. like do you want cor-tuna. and the like.

11 Posts

July 26th, 2019 11:00

Thank you. What you say makes sense. However, I'm not sure if the additional cost of an SSD is worthwhile on an 8 year old computer ... where the fan or the motherboard can go at any minute after spending this money on a replacement hard drive. And I also have to see if I can find a backup copy of Windows 10 to install.

Thanks again.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 26th, 2019 11:00

"Do you feel that this WD drive will be able to work in this computer? As long as it's a 7200RPM 3.5"?"

Yes this WD drive will work in your computer. It is SATA and 3.5" and although it is also 7200 RPM it would work if it was 5400 RPM but only slower which why I would not recommend the WD Blue 5400 RPM..

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 26th, 2019 12:00

"However, I'm not sure if the additional cost of an SSD is worthwhile on an 8 year old computer ... where the fan or the motherboard can go at any minute after spending this money on a replacement hard drive."

My 1TB hard drive recommendation was based on drive capacity, cost, simplicity and your request for a hard drive recommendation. A 1TB SSD solution would be more expensive and also require the purchase of a 2.5" to 3.5" mounting bracket. The cost depends on your choice of hard drive and SSD but I estimate the hard drive solution at about half the cost of the SSD solution. I think that your computer is 8 years old does not matter because the SSD can be removed and installed in a new computer.

11 Posts

July 26th, 2019 16:00

Thank you. BTW, is there any reason why I couldn't upgrade that to a Western Digital 2TB hard drive (WD2003FZEX)? I would presume my windows recovery drive would back up from a 1TB and be able to be restored to a 2TB HD?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 26th, 2019 18:00

"I would presume my windows recovery drive would back up from a 1TB and be able to be restored to a 2TB HD?"

It may be simpler to use Macrium Reflect Free Edition to clone your 1TB to your 2TB HD. Cloning is normally a one step process versus backup then restore. Install the 2TB HD (you will probably need a SATA data cable) into your computer. Follow the instructions here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clone-your-pcs-hard-drive-macrium-reflect. Read and follow the part about cloning to a smaller or a larger hard drive. The only warning I have is that since your 1TB HD is failing, if it is corrupted, your clone will be corrupted. After cloning is completed and before booting up be sure to remove your 1TB HD.

11 Posts

August 2nd, 2019 05:00

Many thanks for everyone's help. I bought the WD Black 1TB Drive. Installing it physically was piece of cake, migration of the files was another matter. And trying to find all the apps and reinstalling them is a work in progress. But this machine (8 years old) is running faster than ever. Thanks again.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 06:00

any will work, endless lists. there are only 4 choices, SSD HDD and size.( TB? and phy size L,W,D) cost $ 1,2,3,4 and all 4 are your choices, a good HDD is Seagate enterprise grade. (like they use on real SERVERS) or SSD from Crucial, any will work , pick one us it.

13 Posts

December 6th, 2020 06:00

I have a Dell 14Z 5423 I5 3rd Gen. I upgraded the HDD to SSD and it works faster than my new Dell laptop with 15 10th Gen.If laptop is in good condition and used by a single user than go for SSD upgrade and it will pump up the performance beyond expectation.

1 Rookie

• 

513 Posts

December 6th, 2020 06:00

@lsedels 

Go ahead and get an SSD. Like @Vic384  said it can be put in a new system even if the new system has a SSD the one you take out of the old can be used for storage.

13 Posts

December 11th, 2020 10:00

Thank you. I will go for SSD but I want to know to start the laptop first. Right now laptop is not starting at all. I tried to run ePFA diagnostics, it ran one and laptop started but after that laptop did not start again. Any suggestions?

No Events found!