Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SR

13 Posts

March 18th, 2019 07:00

Home Theater Desktop requirements for 4 k TV

I have Sony XBR 900E tv which has 4K Ultra HD Resolution + HDR + Motion Enhancer to Native 120 HZwith 4k upscaling.

I want to buy a Desktop , purely toorrent movies and shows in 1080p or 2160p. And then directly play them on TV so basically just want a powerful future proof entertainment Desktop for Home Theater.

Please help me choose from following or what is the minimum requirements >>>???????

Processor
8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8400 6-Core Processor (9MB Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)

8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor (6-Core, 12M Cache, up to 4.6 GHz)

Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 18th, 2019 08:00

You don't need a desktop computer for that. In fact you would be downgrading your tv video. Use the services from your TV cable provider. Rent movies right from your tv, connect to your home network and access online services too like Netflix, Hulu and all the rest. The tv has all the computer functions built in. Check your tv manual online. The only thing you might need is a stereo receiver and good speakers for enhanced sound or just a good soundbar attachment. Sound is always better with external speakers.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 18th, 2019 13:00

Yes, I have a Kodi-box (see my Profile pics) but projector is only 1080p . Works real nice and this old machine is only a Conroe quad-core and a old/low-end AMD card.

I'm setting-up an old Vostro-460/XPS-8300 to replace it. I just so happen to have a new LG-4K-TV in test room, but haven't had much time to mess with it.

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro-Desktops/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/td-p/6054983

In your case, I think what it comes down to is once you install a card with HDMI-2.0 (or whatever you need for HDR) ... it will also do 4K at 60hz ... maybe  :Smile:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=333745

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2019 15:00

2nd Gen Core I7 with GTX 1050TI video card will do 4k just fine.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/technologies/4k/

My Tv box is an Optiplex 9020 with Core I7 and GTX 1060 6 gig video card.  It also does VR and Games and and and.  Running Windows 10 1809.

Cards as Old as GTX 660Ti were rated for 4k

The GTX 1050 TI performs as well as the 2012 GTX680

4K @ 24hz is standard

4K @ 60hz requires a lot more

4K @ 120hz is double acutal or not depends on how many bits color and other factors.

Today's Ultra HD 4K TVs are all marketed with "motion," "action" and "clear" numbers that start at 120Hz and go up from there. They're all basically made up.

Nor is a 4k Ultra HD TVwith a resolution of 3840x2160 pixels -- going to necessarily outshine a "1080P" HDTV with 1,920x1,080 pixels, or just one-fourth of the 4K screen's resolution. TV manufacturers started an arms race of sorts, ramping up refresh rates in increasing multiples to 120Hz, and even eventually 240Hz. 

this just yet another "more is better!" marketing ploy

blur is largely created by your brain. Basically, your brain notices the motion, and makes assumptions as to where that object (or overall image) is going to be in the next fraction of a second. The problem with LCD and current OLED TVs is that they hold that image there for the full 60th of a second, so your brain actually smears the motion, thinking it should be moving, when in fact it's just a series of still images. Refresh specs: If it uses any sort of modifier ("TruMotion 240Hz"), or doesn't explicitly say it's the panel refresh, it's probably not. The few companies that disclose the actual panel refresh information on their websites are quite clear what the panel is doing, and what the backlight and processing assistance does.

No Events found!