Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 27th, 2019 07:00

XPS 8930, faint squealing noise, no hard drive, just SSD. Fan?

Just purchased Dell XPS 8930 from Micro Center 2 weeks ago and I'm trying to figure out what this noise is.

There is no hard drive in the system, only SSD, so I'm assuming it's fan related.

However, the noise resembles a hard drive type of noise, very faint and intermittent.  It sounds like a tiny pully squealing mixed with a hard drive, that's about as best that I can describe it.  And it's different from the continuous normal fan drone (which I also hear).

I think there is a fan on the graphics card too, could that be it?   Although it occurs all the time regardless of heavy graphics card use (which I don't do anyway).

It may be "normal" due to cheap fan components.  Just wondering if anyone else has heard this noise?  Can it be fixed? 

Here are specs:

Intel Core i7-8700 Processor 3.2GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4 RAM; 1TB NVMe SSD

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 3rd, 2021 09:00

Different part number for Big vs Smaller.

Dell 080MM Fan 13P1-5YN0811 VM20H

Dell 120mm Fan 13P1-4ZN0201 7M0F5

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

It is a fan,  all fans fail all fail for bad bearing sooner or later, .

what fan it is only remains. (personally I use 2 ways to find, 1 unplugging things with a fan)

and a cheap $5 stethoscope from any car store sold. in my kit.

IDK how many fans you have but this is the list

1: cpu,  (unplug it only for 10 seconds max.)

2: case fans.

3: GPU (if no cable to fan easy to reach pull the card.)

4 PSU. (last, if all tests above pass it must be be this( easy no?>)

the tricky one is the PSU,  all mine can be hot wired, tested, all mine (but 1) is ATX spec, PSU.

but if you unplug the PSU it goes dead and so does the MOBO and all things there.

so I pulled the cables off 1,2,3, first.

and BINGO?

Noise is where you find it, just like gold.

any shop can fix this so since you posted here, I guess you are like DIY>? ? IDK if you are or even own  a screw driver, or have  tool box.

here is how  to make a PC safe (not blow up PC ) buy doing the long hard reset

at step 6 you pc is safe to work on, ok>?

http://www.pcdied.com/PSU/hard-resets.html

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Coil whine from the power supply can be a source of strange noize.

Most power conversion devices contains coils, such as transformers or inductors. These components use electromagnetism to convert AC main power to low-voltage DC power. The varying magnetic fields generated by these components can cause them to physically vibrate at high frequency, resulting in a high-pitched noise. This is why you sometimes see a “glue” or wax on coils inside electronic devices. The glue helps reduce the vibration and noise the coils generate during normal operation. A coil of copper wire without any “core” metal plates can be made to whine. As the magnetic field increases and decreases (generally about a thousand times a second), the force of the field causes the dimensions of the coil to change slightly, and this vibration leads to a whining sound.

11 Posts

September 27th, 2019 19:00

Thanks guys, much appreciated information.

Outside of trying to solve this internally, has anyone here tried reducing desktop noise with some kind of makeshift silencer outside of the case?

Some kind of soundproofing foam or a soundproof hood (not covering the vent) or anything else that might block the sound of the machine?

Sorry but the noise just drives me slightly nuts, trying to figure out any kind of solution.  Thanks again.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 27th, 2019 19:00

@ES7  Some kind of soundproofing foam or a soundproof hood

Covering up a problem is rarely a good solution. Consider changing your top exhaust fan from 92mm to 120mm, and adding a lower front intake fan. Since it appears you have a 5.7" short graphics card, which allows for better air flow, you should not need the top front intake fan. Choose better quality, quiet fans. Also consider changing the tiny CPU cooler to the blower fan/heatsink style, which is available from Dell.

(click to embiggen)

IMG_3835.JPG

92mm fan vs. 120mm fan (70% more area)

IMG_3738.JPG

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 28th, 2019 19:00

And read this, just in case:

11 Posts

September 29th, 2019 14:00

Thank you, yes will try those things.

Quick question, the 120 mm will fit the 92mm slot OK?  The bracket looks like it may line up differently.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 29th, 2019 14:00

@ES7    the 120 mm will fit the 92mm slot OK? The bracket looks like it may line up differently.

You need to get the 120mm top exhaust fan bracket from an Aurora R5/6/7 from the big auction site.

top exhaust fan bracket part # 7M0F5

XPS-8930-Exhaust-Fan-and-PSU-Upgrade 

Might as well pick up the lower front intake fan mounting bracket while you are there (same Aurora sources)

1 Rookie

• 

44 Posts

September 29th, 2019 17:00

Just for kicks, have you tried pressing around all over the outside of the case to see if maybe that is the source of the noise?

October 2nd, 2019 13:00

I'm with you 100% on this.  I too was fooled into thinking buying a Dell was a good idea.  Bought a brand new XPS 8930 last month and it sounds like a Boeing jet is taking off AT ALL TIMES.  Not just when there's a lot to process and the CPU is heating up .....no .....at all times.  And the squealing is the first thing I noticed.  And unbelievably annoying noise.  I'm still shocked that they'd ship this thing out like "Yep, this one's good to go."  Remarkably poor customer service as well.  I will never be purchasing a Dell again, and will be broadcasting the same to anyone willing to listen.    $2K+, brand new computer and it shows up sounding like some Gateway refurb.  Ridiculous.

October 2nd, 2019 13:00

Or, in making brand new computers that cost a bunch of money, perhaps Dell could use fans that don't squeal upon first use?  A brand new computer and it shows up with a shitty, squealing fan?  So silly.  Of all the things to skimp on.  My god ....charge me $10 and put in a fan that doesn't already .  

2 Posts

September 5th, 2020 15:00

OMG, thank you so much!  That fixed it, after several calls to Dell were of no use. The metal cart I had sat it in was vibrating at a maddening high frequency. Military grade.

1 Message

May 3rd, 2021 08:00

Thank you very much for helping diagnose this issue with my brand new Dell desktop!  Coil whine was the source of the high pitched slight moaning sound. Two solutions: 1. Most importantly, I had made the lazy (& dumb) decision to reuse my old power cord = 90% fixed / 2. Put a little foam between the PC and the hard surface that it's on = 100% quiet now.

No Events found!