Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 12th, 2019 08:00

Problem with USB ports

I have a new xps 8930 computer. I have plugged in 2 storage devices (one, a portable hard drive, 1 flash drive) & both times i got the message that there was something wrong with them. This hasn't happened with every flashdrive / portable hard drive I have plugged in, but now, I am almost afraid to plug in anything, afraid they will become corrupted. The ones that I had the problems with, I have used on other computers before with no problem. Now that there is an issue with them on the xps, they no longer work on anything. In the past, I have never had a problem using usb ports, but something seems very wrong. Any ideas?? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

39 Posts

July 20th, 2019 07:00

Well, I have received an email saying I should mark one of the replies as an "accepted solution." There were helpful & sympathetic replies on saving my data on these storage devices, for which I am grateful for, but not really a solution to the issue I seem to be finding on my XPS. But, thank you all for your input.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 12th, 2019 08:00

USB rootkit malware will prevent a drive from mounting.

39 Posts

July 12th, 2019 09:00

When I plugged in the hard drive and flash drive that I mentioned, the computer saw recognized, but said there were problems with them.  It asked me if I wanted to scan & repair, which I did, but it didn't help. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 12th, 2019 10:00

Is this a brand new PC? Or have you had it for a while and it previously recognized these same USB devices correctly? If it's brand new, contact Dell Tech Support right away. Have Service Tag handy...

Are these USB2 or USB3 devices and are you connecting them to USB2 or USB3 ports on the PC?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 12th, 2019 11:00

Can you test these USB devices on another PC?

If they work on the other PC, back them up on that PC, at least temporarily, and then connect one of them to the XPS 8930 and let it "fix" the problem, and confirm you haven't lost any data.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

USB ports do not damage drives.

39 Posts

I just checked the drivers & they are up to date. 

What you wrote in paragraph 2 is probably why I got so concerned when 2 drives developed issues, I just do not want to lose backups I faithfully make, pics, data, etc.  Thank you for understanding that.   

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Are all your drivers up-to-date, especially Intel chipsets and ASMedia USB3.1 firmware update? (Hold off on the BIOS v1.1.6 update, if you don't already have it.)

From time to time, I get a similar error message on my Dell desktop, especially when connecting an SD card reader via USB2 that's got the card from my digital camera in it. It is scary because we don't want to lose data and pix. But -so far- when I've allowed the PC to fix the problem, it has worked out ok. Your results may vary!  :Wink:

39 Posts

It is about 6 months old.  I don't use the usb ports very often, so I didn't have the concern until the last 2 times I tried to use them & saw there seemed to be an issue.  The ports are 3, the drives are older, so probably 2, but not sure. 

39 Posts

July 12th, 2019 15:00

They did work well on the Dell Inspiron I had before this XPS. Then I had issue with them on this XPS.  After the problem developed with the drives, I tried them on another pc & there was a problem with them.  I will try your suggestion.  Thank you for your input.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 12th, 2019 17:00

Are you saying these same USB devices also had problems on some other PC after trying to access them on the XPS?

In that case, you may not be able to back them up on the other PC, and you may have no choice but to risk  repairing them. I'd do it on the XPS since that's the PC you apparently want to use them with normally...

39 Posts

July 13th, 2019 08:00

Yes, to your 1st question. Thanks to all for helpful posts. I really do appreciate it.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 13th, 2019 19:00

You're welcome.

Post back and let us know what happens after you let the XPS fix its problems with those USB devices.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 20th, 2019 15:00

No law says you must  mark a post as the "Solution", especially if you haven't gotten one yet. And by marking yours as the solution, you may discourage others from further attempts to help you.

So are you saying you let the XPS 8930 try fix its problems with your USB devices but that didn't help?

If you haven't already done it, you may want to update all the chipset drivers from the support page. And you might also want to try a Windows OS repair, but back up all your personal files on external media first, to be safe...

No Events found!