Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

December 29th, 2018 18:00

Studio XPS 9100, debug or replace? crashing (CPU fault)

My 2011 7-year old Studio XPS 9100 has started crashing.

• Cleaned/reseated RAM; blew dust out
  • All PSU pin voltages are correct. PSU is 2-3 years old.
  • WinDbg crash minidump analysis shows "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
    A fatal hardware error has occurred" pinpointing the CPU. (FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_MAE_PRV)

Looking online shows that debugging this error may be quite time-consuming and I'd like to get your advice regarding trying to debug this issue or just buying a new PC.

• My modus operandi has always been "buy a powerful, expensive PC and run it for 10 years."
  • My PC had run fine until now (except for needing a PSU replacement one time).Would I face increasing problems in the near future with aging, unsupported components?
  • One small flaw: I seem to recall reading years ago that this PC could only handle a maximum of 6GB RAM (crippled Windows), although the motherboard supports twice as much. (I have updated to Windows 10 since then.) While I've managed with 6GB, it's certainly proven a hassle with dozens of open browser tabs. (and yes, I use The Great Suspender.)
    • So one advantage of getting a new PC would be getting rid of this maddening 6GB limit.

So, would you try debugging this issue or buy a new PC? And why? Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 5th, 2019 15:00

Did you get a BSOD error message when it crashed this time? Does it reboot after being off for a while? If it reboots, reboot and immediately press F12. Look for option to run  diagnostics, including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Copy error messages, if any.

Assuming it boots to desktop, look in Windows Event Viewer to see if it logged a problem around the time of the last crash.  Open Windows power options screen and completely disable hibernation and sleep, and USB Selective Suspend. You can set it to turn monitor and HDD off after X minutes. Save the changes to power plan and reboot. Then run your stress tests again and then leave it alone like you did when it crashed on Fri.

Are all fans working? Got a spare video card you can swap in?

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

January 11th, 2019 15:00

I usually don't get BSODs when it crashes; the screen typically goes blank, or some video corruption appears on the existing display.

I ran the diagnostics after booting with F12. I wasn't given an option for advanced disk checks, but did run the advanced diagnostics when asked. No errors were reported but the display occasionally jittered. This seems significant to me, as those diags are running, I assume, in a barebones environment independent from Windows and drivers.

Even though all signs point to a CPU problem, I got myself a $20 used video card to temporarily replace mine. I will boot back into normal mode, set your recommended settings, check system events and run Prime95 this weekend, and report back.

1 Rookie

• 

152 Posts

January 16th, 2019 16:00

I picked up a cheap XPS 9100 motherboard for a project I am working on and it seem to work fine.  I did have to jumper pin 9 of "FUSB"s 2, 5 and 6 to ground as I have only the motherboard and did not want to buy that front  panel USB assembly.  It is running with a xeon X5620 which runs cool at under 80 watts even with 12gb ram.  It has an SLIC in the bios like all the older Dells and is currently running win7x64.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

January 17th, 2019 04:00

I'm happy to report that my PC has been running fine for a week without a single crash, on a cheap $20 used video card! It seems that through all these CPU-related uncorrectable hardware messages, it was the video card all along.

I can now return the unopened "plan B" 2019 XPS box that's been sitting here for a few days; it seems I won't have a use for a replacement just yet. Now that it's stable, I can give my Studio XPS 9100 some love by upping its RAM from 6 to 22 GB and buying a used video card in the $100 price range. Let's see how long I can keep this rig running. 1 year? 3 years?

I'd like to thank @Techgee for his inspiring story of his long-time XPS 9000, @Joseph Stateson and especially @RoHe for his extensive replies.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 17th, 2019 10:00

Glad to hear swapping video cards has solved the problem. :Yes:

Was that a typo when you said you're going to increase RAM from 6 to 22 GB? Doubt that's a supported RAM config and the max Dell has validated on this model is 24 GB.

Glad to have helped...

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

January 17th, 2019 11:00

Forget the 22GB; that was a brain fart. I will either add 3x4GB to my existing 3x2GB (18GB total) or chuck it and get 6x4GB, depending on the price. I prefer staying with high-quality name-brand memory. Here's a possibility at $190 CDN, but I wouldn't mind paying less.

Do you have any recommendations on buying RAM for my machine?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 17th, 2019 13:00

Don't need to know about your personal habits! :Embarrassed:

Dell PCs can be fussy about RAM. Many users around here buy RAM for Dell PCs from Crucial. Crucial guarantees RAM they recommend for a specific PC model will work or they take it back at no cost to you. Will the one you linked offer the same guarantee?

Keep in mind that all RAM will run at the speed of the slowest that's installed. So no point paying extra for RAM that's faster than the existing 3x2GB RAM, if you decide to keep those 3 modules...

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

January 17th, 2019 14:00

@RoHe wrote:

no point paying extra for RAM that's faster than the existing 3x2GB RAM, if you decide to keep those 3 modules...

Good point. I'll get 24GB of brand new memory. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/scanview/33EF462131D926C3 shows two possibilities once filtered to 8GB total capacity:

Which would you advise I pick?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 17th, 2019 15:00

What's the speed of the RAM you have now? The specs say this PC supports up to 1333‑MHz DDR3 DIMM.

The ones you linked are both 1600-MHz. I don't know if the chipset and BIOS can support anything faster than 1333. If not, they'll just force that RAM to clock down to 1333, but it will still work. All I can say is Dell hasn't validated this model with RAM running faster than 1333.

So before doing anything else, see if somebody has posted on these forums that  faster RAM actually runs faster than 1333 in this exact model.

If RAM has to clock down to 1333, then you have to consider whether to replace the existing 3x2 GB RAM and go up to 24 GB (but running at 1333) or keep the existing 3x2 GB and add 3x4GB for a total of 18 GB at 1333.

The Ballistic RAM you linked is 1.5V and the other link is 1.35V. So the Ballistic will use more energy and create more heat.

CL8 is better than CL11, but doubtful you'd even notice the difference comparing a full set of 6 of either, and not likely if you add 3 to the 3 existing modules.

If you decide to replace the existing RAM you need 3x 8-GB kits so that's CD$228 for Ballistic and CD$174 for the other type. It's your wallet, but is it worth the difference..?

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

January 17th, 2019 16:00

I didn't want 1600MHz speed; that's simply what the Crucial website gives me as compatible with my PC. I understand I won't get any better speed by sticking 1600 memory into a motherboard topping out at 1333.

• Someone upgraded their Studio XPS 9100 using Crucial Ballistix 16GB kits of 1-8GB, DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800). Using 6 sticks it has 48 GB. It is fully recognized and seems to work fine. (Notice: 16GB per stick. I'm looking at 4GB to remain within Dell specs.)
  • Crucial says the two I posted are compatible, which isn't guaranteed if I hunt for memory myself.
    • If I go to Crucial's DDR3 page and filter with Non ECC / PC3-10600 / Unbuffered, all I get are 5 results that state "For Mac". And even then, their 4GB sticks are $222 for 6, so I'm not saving any money by purposely buying DDR-1333 speed memory, at least not at Crucial.

So… given that you say I shouldn't see much difference in performance, the non-Ballistic seems to be the correct choice?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 17th, 2019 20:00

Like I said, Dell hasn't validated anything beyond 24 GB total or using modules larger than 4 GB. Does that mean bigger modules and more total RAM won't work? No.

8-GB and 16-GB RAM modules for home PCs probably didn't exist or were so expensive when this PC model was released that Dell didn't test them. And their validated specs only mean that Dell can't/won't guarantee the system will work correctly if you deviate from their specs.

That thread you linked doesn't mention anything about speed. So is that RAM running at 1333 or at its rated 1600 speed? I dunno...

There's nothing wrong with using 1600 modules, especially if Crucial says they're compatible with this system.  BIOS and chipset will down-clock them to 1333 if that's their limit.

As for Ballistic vs non-Ballistic, I can't/won't make that choice for you. I gave you some things to consider and now it's entirely up to you to decide what's best for your needs and budget.

But forget about those that are listed for Mac. Crucial won't guarantee them to work since they didn't recommend them for your XPS 9100.

No Events found!