Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

25 Posts

November 15th, 2018 18:00

XPS 8930, supported CPU?

Looking to upgrade my grandson's XPS 8930 i3 8100 . He wants a i5 9600k ,but not sure if it is a supported cpu. I found this googling but not sure if it is accurite , https://www.dell.com/kn/business/p/xps-8930-desktop/pd?ref=PD_OC   . Any thoughts if an unlocked cpu is worth it on an 8930?

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

November 16th, 2018 03:00

In my opinion, it is not worth it for a couple of reasons. First, the cost is about $410 for the process alone and I am not sure the fan (If it comes with one) that comes with the processor will work or fit in the XPS 8930. Second, the BIOS in the XPS 8930 has limited overclocking capabilities and while the latest XPS 8930 supports this 9th generation processor, it may require a BIOS update that is not yet available.

25 Posts

November 17th, 2018 14:00

Thanks Vic84, Newegg has the i5 9600k on sale for$250 and after looking in service manual for the xps8930 page 84 Dell has a blower/heatsink for 95watt cpus . I'm wondering if anybody at this forum has a k processor in their xps and how thats working for them?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 17th, 2018 16:00

Why would you think the list Dell published for CPUs compatible with the XPS 8930 isn't accurate?  If Dell listed it, they've validated this PC model with that CPU.

BUT... keep in mind that 9th Gen CPUs like the i5-9600K are brand new, just released. So I doubt you'll get comments from anyone who's had a chance either to upgrade an existing XPS 8930 or to buy a new one with a factory-installed i5-9600K.

And you may need to update BIOS to the latest version before installing a 9th Gen CPU, if you don't already have the latest, to make sure BIOS supports the new CPU. Keep in mind that there are always risks when updating BIOS so you could brick the motherboard. You should read Dell's policy about BIOS updates, whether the PC is under warranty or not, so you know what you're getting into...

I'm sure other users will love to hear about your CPU upgrade experience if you want to be our Guinea pig! 

25 Posts

November 17th, 2018 17:00

the reason I questioned the accuracy is in web address after .com/kn/business.......doesn't look quite right , then across top of page it goes -  for work >desktops&workstations>xps>xps8910. then the language options are more than I've seen before. So was thinking this might be from a Dell site for another country.

Then does Dell ever explain if a given bios covers specific cpus? I haven't seen anything like that on the drivers page.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 17th, 2018 18:00

@rwgordon wrote:

the reason I questioned the accuracy is in web address after .com/kn/business.......doesn't look quite right , then across top of page it goes -  for work >desktops&workstations>xps>xps8910. then the language options are more than I've seen before. So was thinking this might be from a Dell site for another country.

Then does Dell ever explain if a given bios covers specific cpus? I haven't seen anything like that on the drivers page.

You wrote XPS 8910 but I thought you were talking about XPS 8930...??

Your link goes to the Sales page for St Kitts & Nevis, 2 islands in the Caribbean! (Check lower right corner of that page for country.)

Dell is currently offering an XPS 8930 Special Edition with either a 9th Gen i7-9700 or i9-9900K ("i9" is not my typo!) in the US, nothing "lower".

The latest version of BIOS available for the XPS 8930 is 1.0.13, regardless of whether the Support page is for US or S&N. So one might assume if the i5-9600K is listed as supported on the S&N sales page, BIOS with the same version number from the US support page would also support that same CPU.

Dell doesn't typically post what specific CPUs are supported by any particular version of BIOS, at least not on US sites. So only Dell will know for certain, unless somebody posts about successfully upgrading to an i5-9600K. Besides, when Dell lists specific hardware that's supported, that means they've tested and validated the system with that specific hardware. It doesn't necessarily mean that other (unlisted) hardware won't work, only that Dell hasn't tested that other specific hardware and won't guarantee performance. 

Perhaps a Dell employee might weigh in here, so stay tuned... 

25 Posts

November 17th, 2018 21:00

I am talking about upgrading grandsons 8930, seeing 8910 on page I was reffering to raised my concerns about available options. 

If I do go with upgrade hopefully worst case would be bios would think cpu was i5 8600k . Upgrade is going to be xmas present so it will be awhile , we shall see!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 18th, 2018 13:00

@rwgordon wrote:

I am talking about upgrading grandsons 8930, seeing 8910 on page I was reffering to raised my concerns about available options. 

If I do go with upgrade hopefully worst case would be bios would think cpu was i5 8600k . Upgrade is going to be xmas present so it will be awhile , we shall see!

More likely it just won't boot at all.

No Events found!