Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2020 17:00

Uninstalling Dell Update for Windows 10 using Revo Uninstaller

I'm running a new XPS 8930 desktop-(about a month old), and have been researching the issues involving Dell Update for Win 10. I currently have Dell Update/ver 3.1.1. pre-installed on my Win10/64bit system. I also have Dell Support Assist ver/3.4.1.49 pre-installed as well. I've been told having both these apps together on one system will eventually cause problems, and it was suggested to uninstall Dell Update completely-(using Revo Uninstaller to completely remove all traces). The Dell Update has only worked once for me-(1st scan/check approx 2 days after my first system bootup-2/18/2020) At that time it located 4 available updates-(2 urgent, 2 recommended), and I installed them all successfully, but since then it runs checks and locates no new updates. There are no error messages displayed, it's exactly like a normal operating check, but just not finding anything new. I attempted to uninstall Dell Update, using the Revo Uninstaller/ver 2.1.1, but during that process a small window came up in the Revo program, advising me to close the following apps before installation?   Dell Client Management Services was the app listed as needing closed. I cancelled the uninstall and checked my entire system-(in addition to checking the installed app list that Revo Uninstaller first displays where you select which app to uninstall), and was unable to locate this Dell Client Mgmt Service app whatsoever on my system. I also opened Task Mgr to see if it was listed as running, and it was not listed there as well. I'd like to uninstall this Dell Update app, but I wasn't sure how to proceed, so I backed off till I investigated this further. I've watched some posted vids on YouTube showing how the Revo app uninstall works and it seems athis is Revo uninstall windowthis is Revo uninstall window pretty straightforward process, although I didn't come across any vids showing this Dell Client Mgmt Service app issue appearing in any of those vids. Has anyone experienced this issue with an uninstall of Dell Update 10 for Windows, using the Revo uninstall app?   Many thanks!!!!!

258 Posts

March 15th, 2020 10:00

This thread prompted me to call Dell Tech Support and ask. Tech Support said I can remove everything except Dell SupportAssist since everything is now included in Dell SupportAssist, which makes sense when you look inside Dell SupportAssist.

So, I have uninstalled the following via Control Panel\Programs and Features and restarted when done:

Dell Digital Delivery Services (no Dell software purchased)
Dell Mobile Connect Drivers (no mobile devices connecting to Windows)
Dell SupportAssist Remediation
Dell Update - SupportAssist Update Plugin
Dell Update for Windows 10

This leaves Dell SupportAssist still installed and working to get device driver updates automatically and/or manually.

No mess, no fuss, no micro-freezes.

Edit:  A Dell automatic update today, 3/16/20, updated Dell SupportAssist installed 1/24 191 MB 3.4.1.49 to 3/16 177 MB 3.4.5.366 without incident.

Edit:  When I first got the machine, I uninstalled McAfee antivirus and the Killer Control Center.  To uninstall Killler, you run Rivet Networks' uninstaller and then re-install their drivers only package.  And I uninstalled a few other junk apps in the Start Menu.

GK

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 14th, 2020 11:00

Do you really expect Dell Update to find/install new updates every time it runs? Dell Update runs on a schedule, but that doesn't mean it's going to find new updates every time. If your system is up-to-date, it's up-to-date, period.

If you don't trust Dell Update, just navigate to the support page for the XPS 8930 and check manually for yourself, or enter your Service Tag and let the site show you the latest drivers, but that doesn't mean those drivers aren't already installed. So you'd have to compare the version number for the "new" driver with the version that's already installed on your system.

You should be able to disable Dell Update on the Startup tab in Task Manager...

EDIT: We won't see the image you posted, even though you can see it, until the moderators approve it.

12 Posts

March 14th, 2020 12:00

No, I'm well aware that it won't have new updates every time I run a scan/check, but after a month of checking periodically to make sure I haven't missed any updates, it seems a bit odd it hasn't come up with anything. I also understand updates don't arrive usually on a regular basis, but as they are developed over time. As to checking Dell's Drivers/Downloads webpage by entering my model and Service tag and checking that list, I've already been doing that and the list it displayed pretty much matches with what I currently have installed on this XPS. Revo Uninstaller when launched displays a list of all installed apps with their respective version numbers, prior to any uninstall. Since installing Revo here recently I've found this to be a useful tool in that checking process. My main concern was what I've been reading about some of these Dell apps(especially Dell Update and Dell SupportAssist on the same computer having software conflicts. I've already noticed SupportAssist won't run hardware scans-(this has already been reported on other forums-MBAM, McAfee, etc, where they possibly feel that security software may be the cause. I'm waiting word on that development. From what I've read Revo can fully uninstall an app completely if I would choose to remove it. I was wondering why Revo would advise me to shut down an app-(Dell Client Mgmt Service) before continuing the uninstall, when it appears I don't even have that app anywhere on my system-(after careful checking). I appreciate your input and response. I may hold off for now uninstalling Dell Update, or possibly try disabling it thru Task Manager as you suggest. I wasn't aware posted pics have to be okayed by the moderator before they can be displayed for all to see. I haven't posted on Dell forums for several years, so apparently some changes have been made during my absence. Thank you!!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 14th, 2020 14:00

I have a new XPS 8930 which I updated back in Nov'19 when it arrived and haven't seen very many updates since then, and I check manually every so often. I did find another new firmware update for my Micron SSD this week, plus there are recent updates for both Dell Update and the SupportAssist Plug-in but don't need because I've uninstalled them.

SupportAssist and SupportAssist Remediation Service don't cause software conflicts, but they can cause random very short freezes on the XPS 8930. So if you see those freezes, you can change the Startup type for SupportAssist Remediation Service to manual (or disabled) using Start>Run>services.msc but that probably will block Dell Update from running...

Don't remember seeing complaints about Dell Client Management when I uninstalled Dell Update, SupportAssist or SupportAssist Remediation Service with Revo last fall. But I would have already disabled them from loading at boot, before I used Revo to uninstall them.

You could always reboot in Safe Mode and see if Revo will uninstall Dell Update without complaining, but to be honest I don't know if Revo will run in Safe Mode.

I see that your image has been approved...

And please break your posts up into small paragraphs to make them easier to read...thank you. 

12 Posts

March 14th, 2020 17:00

Thanks for the information!  The one time Dell Update worked-(2-20-2020), there were 4 updates, one of which was an updated BIOS-(nov 25, 2019), I dl'ed/instld  those w/o any problem. The DU app window always lists;  "Never" under Last-Check and doesn't change. It has "last Update", which lists 2-25-2020. That may have been an auto-install as I don't recall doing a manual one then.

Some of the posts I've seen here on Dell and other forums suggest uninstalling Dell Update and Dell Support Remediation-(the latter supposedly because its an older app and not effective). Those posts have suggested uninstall those two, but can keep the SupportAssist and the Support assist plugin. They suggested make sure you get the latest SupportAssist version as well to use.

I transitioned from a Dell 8700 XPS  Win 8.1/64bit to this 8930, and none of these new Dell apps were on my old system, so I've got no experience with these new apps, hence my inquiries.

You mention you've uninstalled Dell Update, SupportAssist, SAPlug-in and SA Remediation, and go to Dell's software/drivers webpage and log in, and DL what drivers you find are new. I mentioned earlier I have checked this before and with Revo's installed app list, it will make it easier, but I still wouldn't mind keeping the SupportAssist app, it they can figure out the bug with its Hardware scan-(the rest of its features work okay) and because its Software/Drivers update feature works okay now.

258 Posts

March 15th, 2020 09:00

It sounds like you are trying to solve problems you don't have.  I would leave it alone.

If you want to uninstall anything, right-click it in CP\Programs and Features.  Forget about removing all traces... it's a don't care, none issue.  Otherwise, use your utility and don't cancel next time... and hope it knows what it's doing.

My 1/15/2020 XPS 8930 is running these Dell bits (have to wait for the moderator):

Annotation 2020-03-15 112914.png

I uninstalled the Dell bits that were not doing anything like Digital Delivery (I didn't buy any Dell software to be delivered) and Mobile Connect (I don't connect mobiles to Windows), and disabled the Remediation Service to stop the regular micro-freezes:
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-freezes-for-3-5-seconds/m-p/7502259/highlight/true#M46495

GK

5 Practitioner

• 

238 Posts

March 15th, 2020 09:00

@bw7920 

I uninstalled the Dell Updater with Revo Uninstaller Pro on my Dell XPS 8930 SE, on the advice of Dell, who stated that it is an older app, and all updates can, and should be done via the SupportAssist program.

You should be aware that the message about an open app is not coming from Revo; it is coming from the Dell Update program uninstaller.  Just say yes, all will be good.  Revo calls the default uninstaller for each program you seek to uninstall.  It does not use its own uninstaller, unless you do a "Forced Uninstall", which is not recommended unless there are no other options (the program is not listed as installed).

Have Revo scan for leftover files/folders and registry entries and delete them.  I have been using Revo for years.  It is a great uninstaller, and also has many other useful utilities.

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

12 Posts

March 15th, 2020 14:00

Okay, very good!!!  Thanks a lot for the help!!!!

12 Posts

March 15th, 2020 14:00

Okay, many thanks for the help!!  I will attempt to uninstall it. If I have any further problems reference this, I'll post here again.  

258 Posts

March 16th, 2020 12:00

Just an FYI... a Dell automatic update today, 3/16/20, updated Dell SupportAssist installed 1/24 191 MB 3.4.1.49 to 3/16 177 MB 3.4.5.366 without incident.  Probably a good thing I purged the retired piecemeal Dell apps yesterday.  I wonder what they removed from the code... leaner is usually good.

Review the Dell SupportAssist Settings... I disabled automatic updates and deselected the Privacy information sharing option.

GK

No Events found!