Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 24th, 2018 14:00

Upgrades for Dimension 4550

Hey everyone, I'm wanting to teach my little boy about fixing/ repairing computers. So I thought I'd start by showing him how to upgrade PCs, and replace parts.
So we have a Dimension 4550 with a P4 2.4GHz processor, currently have 1GB of DDR Ram, 80GB HD, Windows XP SP2, and a Radeon 9250 graphics card.
Now I understand the upgrades won't make it as nice as the newer PCs out there. But I'm hoping to use this opportunity to show him it's not that hard to replace parts, if you know how to do it. Now down the road I'm hoping to do a complete build with him. But just wanting to get familiar with the parts right now.
Now I do have some experience replacing parts, and working on PCs. But I thought I'd ask for advice and input, since its been a while since I've worked on this one.
I figure I'd upgrade to Windows 7, maybe upgrade the RAM (if possible), and add a secondary drive. Any other upgrades you can recommend will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mez70

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 25th, 2018 06:00

I would not start with upgrading a computer especially an older one. You have a working computer, there is a lot you can teach your son about the computer before getting inside of it. You could teach him about the BIOS, the OS, installing and un-installing software and drivers, connections to the keyboard, mouse, and monitor, etc. Then you can look inside the computer and go through the service manual. These are all things you need to know before you start to upgrade.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

February 25th, 2018 06:00

Start with something on the order of 5-7 years old and you might make a good learning experience.

This system is on the order of 16 years old -- it won't take enough RAM or a decent enough video card to make a good platform for running Windows 7.

5 Posts

February 25th, 2018 09:00

Thanks for the replies. It's funny how you mentioned the BIOS. Looks like I'm going to have to start with that anyways. While looking at the system info, I noticed it states the BIOS version is "00". It's been a while since I've used this desktop, but I know that's not correct. So I'm going to open it up and check the battery, and look into updating it too. I also wanted to mention while looking into the system info, I got a message saying, "Can't access the Windows Management Instrumentation Software. Windows management file may have been.moved or missing."
Any further input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

5 Posts

Oops, I meant updating the BIOS, not the battery lol.

5 Posts

February 25th, 2018 18:00

Thanks for the help. I was able to use the first method to fix the issue. And I was able to update the BIOS too. My son thought it was all pretty cool.
I found some compatible RAM locally for a really good price too. I'll go ahead and buy a 1GB stick, just to show my son how it's done.

5 Posts

March 20th, 2018 08:00

Hey guys, I wanted to let you know so far the project with my son, and the 4550 is going well. We've doubled the RAM, installed a new OS, and replaced the video card. He's really liking it! Especially because these little upgrades and improvements have made some noticeable improvements to the 4550s performance. Now I came across a post here advising people that if you want to upgrade the CPU, and go from 2.4ghz to 3.06ghz, then you have to roll back the BIOS version, and go from a08 to a06. Can anyone tell me if they've successfully tried that? Thanks again for your advice. I know this project is a small one in the big picture. But it's really making a big impression on the little one. He's already mentioned taking $$ from his video game fund, and starting a PC building fund.
Here is the link to the post about rolling back the BIOS...
https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/Dimension-4500-4550-upgrade-options/m-p/4255435
No Events found!