Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

XX

March 13th, 2018 16:00

XPS 630i CPU Fan issue - Win7 x64: Nvidia Performance refuses to initialize with ATI video card

When I had Nvidia video cards installed, bought from XFX, Was able to adjust the all the fan speeds and run profiles when running gamed/video processing, and such. (Win7, x64)
It was when the (2) 8600 GT needed replacement & XFX offered either 8600 GS (downgrade) or an ATI Radeon 6750 with 1GB RAM. Went with what I thought was an upgrade and ran into a serious issue of not being able to initialize the Nvidia Performance to regulate the CPU Fan Speed.
So what I did was set the CPU fan speed to 50% with the Nvidia cards, swapped video cards for RMA replacement, and hoped the setting would stay put when I replaced the video cards with the ATI 6750. Needless to say that did not work because Nvidia Performance will not run without an Nvidia card installed. As such the CPU got hit with heat issues.

I have an OS on every HDD, in case I have an issue wit the main OS I have something to fall back on. Did this since beta testing days. Am currently inside Vista x64, recovering  from an Nvidia driver update that damaged the boot sectors on the 3TB HDD. Since am unable to locate rescue media from ages ago, and a couple of moves, have to rebuild from scratch.
In Vista x64 I can run Nvidia Performance with an ATI video card installed. No problem in Vista x64!

Installed Windows 7 x64 on a smaller HDD, did updates, installed Nvidia drivers & ATI drivers. Went to run up Nvidia Performance and received a pop-up that Nvidia Performance did not locate an Nvidia video card. Unable to run. - Something along those lines.
So in Windows 7 (x64) and unable to initialize the Nvidia Performance, and as such am unable to adjust/chance the CPU fan speed with an ATI video car installed. However I do not have the available resources to purchase an equivalent video card, unless can find something under $75 or less.

Thinking about an Nvidia GT 730 - but that fails against the Radeon 6750 in comparison. And XFX told me the 6750 is outdated, and even having a double-lifetime warranty they refused to replace it. So much for XFX's warranty.

What I need is a way to adjust the CPU Fan on this Nvidia motherboard that has the 650i chipset. I have software that can adjust the ATI video card fan speed (MSI Afterburner) and PCI Fans (XPS Thermal Monitor). However have not found anything that can adjust the CPU Fan!

SpeedFan sees the CPU is heating up but has no control over the CPU fan. Is there SOMETHING out there that can adjust the CPU's Fan with an ATI video card installed? Not sure this machine is worth upgrading due to its age, even though it is still working!

Looking for real ideas that work. Chris M?

March 13th, 2018 16:00

Nvidia Motherboard, 650i Chipset, Version 2.0, Model NVK84CRB

Wished the BIOS had an area to adjust the Device Settings as I can from the Nvidia Control Panel. Unfortunately Dell left out that part in the BIOS we can access. They did give us a software version, however that only works with 100% Nvidia products installed. Swap out a video card to an ATI and then there is an issue... /sigh

Of coarse am wondering, if I bought a cheap $30 Nvidia card just to have it installed in the other PCI Express port, would I be able to access the Nvidia Performance Control Panel, or would it further reject cause of having an ATI video card installed?

Only space Nvidia video card I have on hand is an AGP, which does me no good in this situation. Argh!

PS: This is the original Xelkos from the 90's but Dell killed that account from lack of use, yet won't give me back the nickname. :P

PPS: Chris M was the Go-To Guy for us back in the XPS 630i era. :)

367 Posts

March 13th, 2018 19:00

Software control can't be done on dell machines as they almost all use Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) which is completely controlled by the motherboard. So to try and mitigate the issue; 

Try these things:

1. Try to find an option in the BIOS called "Fan Control Override" make sure it is off this can cause the fan to run at max all the time.
  2. Try adding thermal paste to the CPU. It could be cooking itself that's why the fan revs hard.
  3. Reseat both the processor and heatsink sometimes that will make the thing be quiet.

March 14th, 2018 04:00

No option in the BIOS. If there was I would not be here. :)

So have to consider if it is worth upgrading to a Quad Core Duo 2 and putting a different heat sink/fan on it to where i can control it, or just wait for the PC to die. It's my main PC, but I do have a Lenovo Z40-70 laptop should things go bad. Having a 4TB WD Passport to save recovered data to has been a blessing.

So the other idea I had was...
If a cheap ($30) Nvidia video card was installed in the other slot, while still using the ATI HD 6750, would I be able to access the Nvidia Control Panel - or would it still not function with ATI video card installed.

Unfortunately I only have a spare Nvidia in AGP, which obviously does me no good.

March 15th, 2018 02:00

Another idea: Has anyone found a 4 pin manual fan control module that plugs into the OEM CPU fan cord, that can be powered through a spare power collector?

Seen some on New Egg but the ratings were rather poor. Think that something like this could be possible.

Maybe if someone knew what the 4 wires leading to the CPU fan were form past power & ground, what do the other two wire's function?

Wished we still had an electronics store around here. Best one I've seen was MarVac in Sacramento, CA. That place had anything and everything!

367 Posts

March 17th, 2018 20:00

You could buy a fan controller but you'd need to rewire it to fit the proprietary 5 pin connector.

x3GO2ff

or you could buy an adapter from China.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pin-Latch-Dedicated-Fan-to-4-Pin-Cable-Adapter-Interface-Connector-For-Dell-/322343482086

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 19th, 2018 23:00

@Xelkos XPSwrote:

Nvidia Motherboard, 650i Chipset, Version 2.0, Model NVK84CRB

PPS: Chris M was the Go-To Guy for us back in the XPS 630i era. :)

Yeah, Chris-M is still around.

I like keeping old (nice) computers out-of-the-landfill as much as the next guy. But if this is your main PC, I think you got your money's worth after 9 years. It's time to get a new one.

Demote it to lesser-role (as is) or recycle it. Save your money and put toward the new one. At least think about it. 

No Events found!