Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

July 26th, 2019 09:00

XPS 7760 AIO running windows 10 hangs on logo screen. Suggestions?

Thought recent BIOS auto update (7/24/19) would alleviate problem, but it still exists.  I have to force shutdown, wait until the computer completely powers off and restart.  Usually, it restarts on the second attempt.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 26th, 2019 15:00

For starters, check the system diagnostic lights when PC won't boot. See page 144 in Service Manual.

How old is this PC and when was last time the motherboard battery was replaced?

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

July 26th, 2019 16:00

Also, motherboard & battery never replaced.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

July 26th, 2019 16:00

PC is only 3yrs old and of course the warranty expired this past March.  Typical.

Diagnostics reveal 2,1 - System board error.

Am I up the creek without a paddle?

Cheers

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 26th, 2019 17:00

If you reboot and immediately press F12, does that menu open? If yes, look for the option to run all the diagnostics and copy error code(s), if any.

Also suggest you replace the battery on the motherboard. It's possible BIOS got scrambled because the battery is weak or dead. Check the Service Manual for instructions to replace it. Working inside a AIO can be tricky because everything is crammed inside behind the screen. So if this is beyond your abilities, maybe you have a geeky friend to help.

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Install fresh battery, probably a CR2032 3-volt coin cell, ~US$2)
  6. Close up
  7. Reboot

You might get an error message after rebooting once the battery is replaced, but that's a good sign and typically means BIOS settings have to be changed from the defaults to one of the other options for the corresponding setting. In this case, post the error message here...

Hopefully, you won't be DOA...

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

July 27th, 2019 09:00

7/27/19

Ran diagnostics - all passed, no errors.

R&R'd the system board coin-cell battery CR2032.

Received error msg on reboot, changed to factory settings.

Computer still hangs on logo screen on startup. 

Diagnostic lights still have the pattern 2,1 - System Board Error

Any other ideas?

I really do appreciate the assistance.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 27th, 2019 13:00

Sorry to say, but it was probably a blooper to run a BIOS update while the PC was already misbehaving.  Read this about trying to recover to the previous version. And if you're lucky...

Was PC unplugged and you pressed/held power button for ~30 sec after removing old battery, before installing the new one?

Odd that it passed the diags but still giving 2,1 blink code. What error message did you get, aside from the 2,1?

Always power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before working inside.

How many RAM modules installed? Make note of which slots, if all slots not occupied. Then remove them all and carefully reseat in slots. Check all cable connections to/from motherboard at both ends. See if it boots now with no external peripherals connected, aside from mouse.

If no boot, remove all RAM modules and try to boot again. You should get 2 or 4 beeps from the tower, meaning no RAM detected. If not, suspect motherboard failure. If you hear the beeps, install RAM modules one at a time in the same slot to see if you can ID a bum module. If they all work in that slot add them back one at a time checking if it boots each time.

BTW: Don't know where you're located, and assuming you used a credit card to purchase PC, some (US) cards will extend a manufacturer's warranty for up to one additional year. So check with your bank to see if you have that coverage.

You can contact Dell's Out Of Warranty Repair to find out how much it might cost to repair this PC, assuming you don't have extra coverage from the bank, and then decide what to do next, fix or replace. Be sure to select your country or region in lower right corner of that OOWR page to make sure you get the info from the right peeps...

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

July 28th, 2019 07:00

All steps were followed as per your instructions from the previous email.  No other error codes besides 2, 1.  

The Out Of Warranty Repair is $99 for a one time fix.  To purchase a year of Warranty and Service Extension is $100.  I think the warranty is logical in this case.

I appreciate your help through this.  Hopefully I can remedy this issue.  I really do enjoy this computer and plan to keep it humming along as long as possible.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 28th, 2019 11:00

Did you check your credit card to see if they'll give you an extra year's warranty for free like mine does? Maybe they'll pay the $99 for the one-time fix..?

Does the 1 year of Warranty and Service Extension for $100 include the fix for the current problem? Or does it only cover repairs for things that happen after the extended warranty is activated? Be sure you check on that, or you might end up $199 in the hole...

Post back and let us know what happens, and hopefully they fix the problem...

No Events found!