Start a Conversation

Unsolved

LT

9 Posts

January 3rd, 2020 12:00

XPS 8300, graphics card, memory upgrades

I have a xps 8300 that's struggling with the new graphics programs I'm running. I use this PC in a sign shop that runs a CNC router, plotters, 3d printer and large format printer. One of my ram sticks just died and I figured while I've got the case open I might upgrade the graphics card too. I have the AMD Radeon 6450, what would be a compatible upgrade? thank you (I've also thought about adding a second monitor, but not a requirement)

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2020 14:00

How much RAM do you have now?

You're probably going to need 2 matching modules, otherwise, it might not boot with a mixed pair. Or it will just run in single-channel memory mode which is slower and less efficient than dual-channel mode.

You could also use this as an opportunity to increase the total amount of RAM which might give a bigger boost than a new GPU.

Memory module capacities: 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB
Memory type: 1333 MHz DDR3 non‑ECC memory only (faster compatible RAM will clock down to 1333 MHz)
Minimum memory: 3 GB
Maximum memory: 16 GB
Possible memory configurations: 3 GB, 4 GB, 6 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, and 16 GB

As for a new GPU, Search is your friend...

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2020 14:00

In addition to what @RoHe wrote, when considering a compatible graphics card upgrade you should also consider:

1. That unless you have upgraded your power supply, you are limited by the maximum power of 460 watts of the original power supply.

2. That some graphics cards required supplementary power connectors of 4, 6, or 8 pins.

3. That you are struggling with the new graphics programs you are running not just because of your graphics card, but the performance of your CPU, the total amount of system memory you have, and the speed of your disk drives.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 3rd, 2020 22:00

@Lee The Sign Guy wrote:

xps 8300

One of my ram sticks just died
I have the AMD Radeon 6450, what would be a compatible upgrade?

I've also thought about adding a second monitor, but not a requirement)

Sounds like it is die-ing a slow death. I suggest you make other arrangements (as it is old, and you have signs to make and customers to invoice). 

You read it alot in this forum, but I don't think I have never had a single ram DIMM just die (were you messing with it inside?). If it was OEM or big-name-brand ram, I would guess motherboard.

All about upgrading this machine is here (read carefully):

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro-Desktops/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6054983#M1213

Yes, you need a second monitor. Even an old second-hand 20-22-inch would be a big help.

Edited.

50 Posts

January 5th, 2020 15:00

See my post on XPS 8300 and Windows 10, you’ll find all the info you need there. Mine runs like new

January 7th, 2020 13:00

Thank you for the help - My PC has 16 Ram. I figured out one of my sticks was bad because my computer wouldn't boot, just beep four times. So, one by one I removed a ram stick until it would boot. I then swapped them around and the same thing, It will only boot with this certain ram stick removed and didn't seem to be a problem with the mother board. I just purchased a new GPU, but I can't get my computer to boot with it (so I put the old one back in) the new GPU is a GIGABYTE GT 710 with 2GB, the original one that stil works is a AMD Radeon 6450 with 1GB. Do you know if this new GPU should work? I never got around to installing the drivers, do you think that would help? I have never upgraded a computer before other than the new 550w power supply. Thank you again!

January 7th, 2020 13:00

Normally I have 16bit of ram, but I removed one stick because my computer wouldn't boot, it only beeped at me. So, it's just running 12 (I assume) anyway, I purchased one stick of ram to see if that helps. I also purchased a new GPU, it a GIGABYTE GT 710. I just tried to install it but never was able to get the PC to boot. Should I install the drivers and try again? Thank you for the help! I did upgrade the Power Supply to 550W - other than that, I've never poked around in a computer before. I'm pretty lost! Thank you for the help

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 7th, 2020 14:00

@Lee The Sign Guy wrote:

1. It will only boot with this certain ram stick removed

2. I just purchased a new GPU, but I can't get my computer to boot with it

3. Do you know if this new GPU should work? the new GPU is a GIGABYTE GT 710 with 2GB

4. I never got around to installing the drivers, do you think that would help?

1 & 2 . Like I tried to tell you in my first post ... stop while you are ahead. 

3. I tried an old Nvidia 7300-GT in mine and it worked fine. Yours might be bad, flakey, or incompatible.

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro-Desktops/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6071783/highlight/true#M1312

4. No. Incorrect video-drivers would not prevent the machine from Posting and allowing access to the BIOS.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 7th, 2020 14:00

@Lee The Sign Guy wrote:

Normally I have 4x4gb16gb of ram, but I removed one stick because my computer wouldn't boot, it only beeped at me. So, it's just running 12 (I assume) anyway, I purchased one stick of ram to see if that helps.

A memory-bank takes TWO DIMMs . The pairs should match exactly. Before I tried a mis-matched pair, I would just run one-DIMM in that Memory-Bank ... right 4+4 , +4 = 12gb. It will likely drop-back to single-channel mode though.

No Events found!