Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 6th, 2020 08:00

XPS 8500, orange light will not turn off

Hello,

Googled the heck out of this, but can't find a response:

My PC has no problem booting up. But when I go to shut down, this happens, and I hope someone can tell me why and how to fix it.

1. I do CTRL ALT DELETE, then select SHUT DOWN.
  2. The computer does shut down (power button goes off, the computer goes quiet).
  3. But then the orange light (some people call it amber) INSIDE the computer, that is always on when the computer is on, does not go off. It just stays on (solid, not blinking).
  4. To turn the light off, based on suggestions on Google, I unplug the PC. The orange light still stays on, so I then hold the external power button down until the light does go off, which it does after about 3 seconds.
  5. When I go to boot up, it does so with no problems at all. The computer is not behaving strangely in any way while it's on.

The reason that I don't just leave this alone and continue my manual turn-off method described above in #4 is because I read somewhere that potentially this is a symptom of a potential motherboard failure. I don't think so anymore because nothing else I've read suggests that. But something else I read said that this could be because something in my computer stays on, so the orange light stays on. 

Possibly important: Just before this started, I activated "Hibernate" because I thought it might be useful. It wasn't, for my purposes, so I deactivated it a couple of days later. Did I trigger something by doing so? Just a thought.

Anyway, thanks for any useful suggestions!

4 Posts

May 14th, 2020 08:00

LOL!!!!!  Thanks.

I don't need to cover it - it was never an annoyance just a possible troubleshooting issue.

My question referred to the possibility that, as a new behaviour on my computer, that possibly it was an indicator that something is wrong with my computer. No one knows the answer and I am now convinced that since no one else seems to think it's a problem, then neither will I.

I consider this matter closed and really do appreciate the time people have taken to try to answer the question.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 6th, 2020 09:00

Do not use control+alt-delete to turn off your computer!!! That was false info you got. That procedure is for emergency only. Use the Start button to turn off. Right click on it to select Shutdown. That light on the main board stays lit if the computer is still plugged into an live outlet. It is not a warning of anything, It is perfectly normal.

Always post your OS when asking a question. 

4 Posts

May 13th, 2020 11:00

Hi! Thanks for the shutting down advice. Regarding the light, it never used to stay on, that's just something that started recently. My OS is Windows 10 Home.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 13th, 2020 11:00

The LED on the motherboard is supposed to stay on 24/7 as long as the PC is connected to a working outlet. It means the PC is getting "flea power" and this is perfectly normal. After you unplug the PC, pressing/holding the power button drains the residual power and the LED goes off.

That LED probably always stayed on but you didn't notice it, unless you were previously turning the power off at a power strip or surge protector or just unplugging the PC from the outlet.

4 Posts

May 14th, 2020 05:00

Hi Ron!

Your response is much appreciated, but I can say without a doubt, that this is new behaviour for my computer. It's actually impossible to not notice the light because now it shines its light on my desk surface through the vent holes at the bottom of the computer. That's how it got my attention and that happened a couple of months ago, after owning the computer for years.

Thank You.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 14th, 2020 06:00

If the light bothers you, cover it with a black electrical tape (or hood assuming motherboard is lying flat).

No Events found!