AGM_NYC
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 8700 A12 Bios PROBLEM

Thanks Dell-Chris M

Since Dell seems to have broken many PC with Bios A12, i hope they can expedite a bios release fix to at least bring us back the performance of Bios A11 before trying to resolved the bigger issue.

If there is a way to enable a trace/log during the BIOS boot to see what is causing the delay i am more than happy to assist Dell in trouble shooting this issue.

My Current configuration is:
OS; Window 7 Pro with all the latest patches installed.
PC: Dell XPS 8700
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Ver 14.8.16.106 (per Intel recommendation)
Drive Configuration:
     OS Drive: SSD 447 GB (Samsung)
     3  X 4 TB Drives (Western Digital)

My boot time with A11 Bios when a Raid-5 was used went up to 4 minutes. With Bios A12 it went to 26 minutes.
Boot time without a Raid is 30 second only. Obviously there is some kind of conflict between the Bios, the motherboard and Raid configuration.

Best
Alex

AGM_NYC
1 Nickel

Dell-Chris M,

Forgot to add that it would be a good idea for Dell to removed the current BIOS A12 upgrade for its support portal so that other user don't get hit with the same misfortune some of us have already been hit with. 

Cheers

Alex

Time Lord
1 Nickel

No I didn't write anything down. "New bios. Urgent! Cool." How about a new A12a bios that adds revert? Or take the A11 bios and call it A13? I'd rather suffer an exploit than not be able to game. My online gaming is shot. This stinks really bad. Will be eagerly awaiting a fix.

0 Kudos
rd52
1 Copper

Re: XPS 8700, A12 BIOS, sluggish performance

You might be able to get the bios back to 11 by clearing back to factory specs by removing the cmos coin battery.  There are further directions on the web about the procedure.  This should reset back to default, then install the bios upgrade that you want.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

@rd52 wrote:

You might be able to get the bios back to 11 by clearing back to factory specs by removing the cmos coin battery.  There are further directions on the web about the procedure.  This should reset back to default, then install the bios upgrade that you want.

Sorry, but resetting BIOS A12 to the defaults won't have any effect on whether you can revert to A11 or not.

Most BIOS updates don't allow you to revert to a prior version, without using extra command line attributes.  But reverting can cause problems and even brick a motherboard.

And it appears that recent updates to fix the Meltdown/Spectre issues may be locked so you can't revert, even when using those command line attributes.

There are numerous reports that Intel's fixes for Meltdown/Spectre impact performance, eg here. So your best bet may be to wait until Dell releases another version that might address performance issues. 

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
mmaier
1 Nickel

You can try InSpectre.exe (https://grc.com/inspectre.htm) and use the DISABLE Buttons, maybe this helps.

Manfred

0 Kudos
dante metaphor
1 Copper

Hi It is possible to downgrade bios by using the /forceit option

To do this is simple as opening a command prompt (start > type 'cmd') and navigating to the directory where the old bios is located (cd *path/to/old/bios.exe*) and entering XPS_8700_BIOS_A11 /forceit 

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

@dante metaphor wrote:

Hi It is possible to downgrade bios by using the /forceit option

To do this is simple as opening a command prompt (start > type 'cmd') and navigating to the directory where the old bios is located (cd *path/to/old/bios.exe*) and entering XPS_8700_BIOS_A11 /forceit 

That's the command line attribute I was referring to, which assumes A12 wasn't "locked" to prevent reversion. Keep in mind if that command fails to revert BIOS to A11, you may end up with a bricked motherboard. So you attempt to revert at your own risk.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos

* Reboot, press F12. Run Quick Diagnostics. Does it pass?
* Boot into Windows safemode. Is the system sluggish, slow performance?
* Reboot into normal Windows
* Disable the Dell SupportAssist application. Is the system still sluggish, slow performance?

0 Kudos

mvsoske found a fix for his XPS 8700. It was service running in the background. In his case it was the "Acronis Active Protection Service". But you should disable all services, reboot, then add them back one at a time, rebooting after each one.

Some service is robbing the CPU power causing my slowdown so I went to the System Configuration app, unchecked all of the Services that were running, restarted, and am now back to normal speeds! I then went through restarting one Service at a time, and rebooting, until the problem appeared again. I found the culprit. Recently, I upgraded my Acronis backup software but this time they added a program called "Acronis Active Protection Service" and this was the program draining my resources. I didn't notice the problem until after I upgraded the BIOS. So maybe, something in the BIOS update and the Acronis service are not compatible and might be something that is affecting the others if they also are running Acronis 2018. Again, just wanted to tell you my problem is solved.