Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2019 13:00

XPS 8700: In clean install of Windows 10, does Windows automatically find and install Intel Management Engine (AMT & HECI)?

After doing a clean install of Win 10 on my 8700, does the first Windows update that finds drivers, etc., also find the Intel ME (AMT and HECI) driver from scratch? I'm getting ready to run Windows update for the first time.

On the Dell website, both the Intel chipset and the Intel ME driver are from 2015. I plan to install the Intel chipset (v 10.1.1.7) before running Windows update, but I don't know whether to also install the Win ME (v 11.0.0.1153) before the update, or if Windows 10 would find it from scratch and install a higher version. There's currently no mention of any Intel ME in the device manager after the clean install.

Thanks for any info.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 13th, 2019 18:00

You probably should install all Intel drivers listed on the Dell site first. Then run Windows Update to see if it offers anything new. 

BTW: There's a very new version of BIOS listed for this model to fix a number of recently discovered Intel security issues. So you may want to install that too before running Windows Update. Keep in mind that there's always a risk that a BIOS update can fail and brick the motherboard, so read/follow the instructions carefully, and also read Dell's policy about BIOS updates first.

38 Posts

August 13th, 2019 18:00

Thanks.  I've been considering the upgrade to A14, ,but I'm kinda scared about messing with a BIOS upgrade at the same time I just finished this clean Windows 10 installation.   I have a Win 7 drive I could run the BIOS update on.   I just started another forum thread on that issue to see if folks have had a relatively smooth result, or whether it might be good to wait a few weeks.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 14th, 2019 10:00

" I have a Win 7 drive I could run the BIOS update on."

That's not going to prevent or solve any problems. The BIOS update is stored on the motherboard, not on the hard drive. It either works or it doesn't. Just do the update manually, assuming you decide to do it.

1. Download the  BIOS .exe file onto your desktop manually
  2. Close all apps and all open windows
  3. Disable your anti-viral suite
  4. Right-click the BIOS .exe file on your desktop and "Run as administrator"
  5. When PC reboots, make sure your anti-viral suite is enabled again and running

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 14th, 2019 10:00

No version of windows from XP all the way thru 10 installs AMT HECI SOL or management drivers or chipset drivers.

IRRT requires DOTNET 2.0  3.5 4.X to be installed.

DOT NET is also Never there by default from XP all the way thru Windows 10.

38 Posts

August 14th, 2019 23:00

Thanks.  The BIOS update to A14 seems to have transpired flawlessly.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 15th, 2019 10:00

No Events found!