Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

June 6th, 2018 15:00

XPS 8900, BIOS setting, Raid vs AHCI

I was prowling BIOS settings to resolve a different problem. I noticed that the BIOS is set to run SATA drives in RAID, rather than AHCI. Which should I use?  I have a single HDD in the system now. Probably will go to a SSD (Boot) and HDD (Data) in the future (next week). 

Windows 10
BIOS 2.0.1 (not upgrading!)
No plans to use Raid 

I saw this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/AHCI-disabled-on-XPS-8900-desktop/td-p/4673037/page/2  which leads me to believe RAID is the "factory default", and that I will have some small, manageable hoops to run through to make the switch. 

Thoughts?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 17th, 2019 09:00

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) Version 16.7.1.1012 is the WHQL release version.

Systems running driver version 15.9.x, 16.0.x, 16.5.x, or 16.7.x should update to the latest version.

Version: 17.2.0.1009 (Latest) Date: 3/15/2019

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28650/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

Older versions

Intel 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 200 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller
Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller
Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller
Intel ICH8R/DO/DH SATA RAID Controller

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 17th, 2019 10:00

@leftblank wrote:

@RoHe:  Thank You Ron.  I will try to remember this in the future.  Also confusing is that IE11 worked properly six days earlier for me in other posts in these forums but changes are sometimes made.  This might also explain why clicking the Kudo button wouldn't work last weekend.

Yup...they did a forum platform software update...

11 Posts

June 17th, 2019 11:00

@speedstep wrote:

Thank You for the information.

Before going any further with that SSD I first have to find a way to recover from poor judgment by running Parted Magic from Ultimate Boot CD (this is the last free version of Parted Magic).  Parted Magic completely and fatally froze when launching after going through several pages of commands too quick to read and then completely locked up at “setting up system devices.”  Last command that I saw executed was to lock a specific kernel. Since then I am unable to boot from DVD/CD including newly created discs and the original OS disc from Dell.  Everything otherwise works and has passed various diagnostics and checks including flashing BIOS again but something apparently remains locked to prevent booting from CD/DVD.  Had even restored a system image just in case.

Thank You

No Events found!