Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

6 Posts

May 21st, 2020 15:00

XPS 8900, failed drive

Hello,

I have an XPS 8900 that has one SSD which runs Win10 and other applications.  I also have a SATA drive that has some data.  The SATA drive recently stopped working.  I received the error code 2000-0151.  All of my important data is backed up on this drive, but I wouldn't mind snagging a couple of settings from it if possible.  Any ideas on how to temporarily reviving or getting to the data?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 21st, 2020 15:00

The drive is physically bad.

https://www.ontrack.com/

Unless you are willing to pay ontrack data recovery $5000 to get your data back its gone.

Ontrack data recovered data from hard drive that was in space shuttle and crashed into the ground.

Nasa paid a huge amount and ontrack recovered all the data.

Drive savers wont charge a diagnostic fee if they cant recover any data.

https://drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 21st, 2020 17:00

The HDD has probably failed, but you might want to check the SATA cable connections at both ends between the drive and motherboard with PC powered off and unplugged. Then reboot...

14 Posts

May 21st, 2020 19:00

Sorry man, but if I were to bet on this I would bet you need a new hard drive. By all means run a hard drive diagnostic test to confirm this. If you have not changed the original disk setup you should have a Dell Utility Partition. You can run a diagnostic from there. 

To test your CD/DVD drive from the utility partition:

1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.

2. Select Boot to utility partition.

3. Select Test System.

4. Select Custom Test.

5. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your CD/DVD drive.

6. Insert a CD or DVD.

7. Click Run Tests.

8. Write down any error messages.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 25th, 2020 18:00

I have used both companies.

"In most cases, Ontrack offers free evaluations of drives. "

This is not my experience with multiple repairs over the last 20 years.

They have always charged $350 to $550 for evauation.

Then $3500 to $5500 for actual recovery of the data.

In the case where they worked on a drive but could not recover data they charged the eval fee.

The point is most consumers are not willing to pay to recover data at that price.

Drive savers has never charged for recovery if they cannot get any data.

YMMV  always get written estimate in writing.  Never pay up front for the whole thing.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 25th, 2020 20:00

What I can say for certain is that when money was paid most of the time the data was recovered and the customer was very happy. There were no unhappy customers because we never over promise or try to hide actual costs.

This is the case from both companies.  I can also say for certain that I will use data recovery where the customer is willing to pay.  You just have to give them a realistic idea of what its going to cost so they can decide what they want to do.

No Events found!