Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2018 16:00

XPS 8900, has BIOS version 2.2.1 been updated?

When XPS BIOS version 2.2.1 was released in December, it caused problems for some people (rendered this computer unusable). Maybe this only affects one computer in thousands, but I don't want to take a chance that something like that will happen to me, so I've been waiting to update the BIOS on my 8900. Now when I check my drivers & downloads page here at Dell, it shows the release date of BIOS 2.2.1 (Dec. 22, 2017) and shows that it was updated Jan. 11, 2018. Has Dell updated the BIOS so that now it'll (hopefully) prevent the problems people had with the original version? I'm wondering whether the BIOS has been updated because the version hasn't changed, it's still version 2.2.1.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 29th, 2018 16:00

@dfhall wrote:

This thread is marked as solved.  However when I click on the link to the solution I get a number of replies to this post, none of which are labeled as the solution.  

Is there a reply to Mike777's  question of the most appropriate XPS 8900 BIOS version that is considered "the solution?"

Who decides when a problem is solved on this forum?

When you click the link Go to Solution in a thread, the post that has been marked as the solution is surrounded by a green box, and it should be the first post visible below the original post (OP).

Only the person who started the thread, eg, the user who made the OP, and forum Moderators can mark a thread as the solution.

1 Message

January 29th, 2018 22:00

I installed BIOS update 2.2.1 several weeks ago.  The computer was running normally until a few days ago when there was a power outage.  I had to pull the CMOS battery to get the system to boot again.  This triggered the state that others have described - BSOD Memory Management stop code when booting to anything MBR.  Could still boot UEFI.  Downgrading the BIOS did not fix the problem either.  Only disabling PTT has for now allowed me to boot again.

3 Posts

January 31st, 2018 09:00

Just an update. Dell support has been... less than helpful. Despite my insistence that this is a problem unique to this system and BIOS version, the support rep has been effectively ignoring me and ringing me through a series of generic troubleshooting steps.

When she had me install Windows the *second* time I took the initiative and changed the boot mode to UEFI, loaded Windows up on a USB drive, deleted all the partitions to clear MBR, and then after reinstalling it was finally able to boot up. So yet another point for UEFI.

The only problem now is that Windows is not reading its OEM product key from the hardware (after I specifically asked the rep if that would happen and she assured me it wouldn't).

2 Posts

February 5th, 2018 14:00

Same problem for me. It **bleep** up my Windows, which didn't boot anymore ("Inaccessible boot device"). I tried to restore system with restore points (worked one time, and I thought it was solved, but no).

The only solution was to "repair Windows keeping my files" (which in fact move all your Windows + Program Files in a windows.old folder + reinstall a new one + put back your documents but not your AppData content)

I confirm the "legacy" boot didn't worked anymore.

Now I have a Bios revision that was removed from Dell support page, and I don't dare replace it with an "old" version. Who knows if it will not destroy anything else?

Please Dell, release a 2.2.2 version soon :)

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

February 6th, 2018 10:00

Dell has released a new version of the BIOS (here). It still has the same version number (2.2.1), but has a release date and "last updated" date of February 6, 2018. I think I'll wait a little while before installing this. Just in case...

2 Posts

February 6th, 2018 15:00

Since the changelog and version number (2.2.1) did not change, and since the size (5780 KB) and digital signature (signed 12/11/2017) are the same as the old one previously published TWICE during last month without change, ...

... i assume they just made the old (and bugged) version available, including the (noyt fixed yet) buggy Intel microcode update on Spectre (Variant 2), CVE-2017-5715 that :

- Dell is still saying "URGENT do NOT deploy anymore" on their own KB (see 01/22/2018 updates on both SLN308587 https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308587/microprocessor-side-channel-vulnerabilities-cve-2017-5715-cve-2017-5753-cve-2017-5754-impact-on-dell-products?lang=en and SLN308237 on https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308237/dell-client-statement-on-intel-me-txe-advisory-intel-sa-00086-?lang=en )

- and Intel says the same on website (see https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/01/microcode-update-guidance.pdf and https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-reboot-issue-identified-updated-guidance-for-customers-and-partners/)

- and Microsoft did release an out of band critical update to disable any windows usage of the faulty microcode update pending a new intel patch, and Dell BIOS patch, with KB4078130 (from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4078130/update-to-disable-mitigation-against-spectre-variant-2 and https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4078130 ).

As owner of an XPS 8900 with faulty BIOS 2.2.1 that bricked my Motherboard and CPU, i cannot recommend to install this BIOS update, even if someone at Dell did push back the wrong publish button, it is NOT FIXED YET.

7 Posts

February 7th, 2018 05:00

So are we saying not to download this new February 2018 version of 2.2.1?  I did download the 10 Dec 2017 version back in December and my system appears to still be working properly.  It is a shame Dell does not provide more background information on these issues and I have to go to this site to find the facts.

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

February 7th, 2018 06:00

Dell has updated their knowledge base article (here). Part of what it now says is:

Patch Guidance
Update 02/05/2018
Dell has received updated Intel microcode for select platforms to mitigate against the Spectre (Variant 2) vulnerability CVE-2017-5715. Dell has started to deploy the new BIOS updates for these platforms listed in the table of Dell Products Affected below. Other BIOS updates for listed affected platforms will roll out over the coming weeks.
All customers with an affected platform should download the latest BIOS update listed below, even if they have deployed an earlier BIOS version for this vulnerability. Those who have disabled the microcode patch using an OS configuration option should re-enable it manually after applying the BIOS updates.
As a reminder, the microcode update is required for Spectre (Variant 2), CVE-2017-5715. The Operating System patches provide mitigations to Spectre (Variant 1) and Meltdown (Variant 3) and are also required.

I haven't updated yet, but probably will later today or tomorrow. I just want to wait awhile to see if people start having major problems with this BIOS update like some had with the last one (computers becoming unusable...).

7 Posts

February 7th, 2018 07:00

In the last few minutes I checked my Dell Help  & Support window and it still shows I should still download the "URGENT" Bios Version 2.1.10 dated 2 Aug 2017 update.

February 7th, 2018 08:00

My 8900 started freezing in August. Hours of dell support and after sending the unit back to dell twice its still down.

Where is dell with this?   I've read all the posting and I don't see a solution from dell.

The new bios dell posted on 2/5/2018.

Do I need to reinstall windows 7 after updating the new bios?

What are the steps in installing the bios when windows is not loading?

Download and run rufus

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Creating_a_Bootable_DOS_USB_Stick

Follow instructions in creating dos bootable USB above.

Run the BIOS update utility from DOS environment if Legacy Boot Mode(Non-Windows users).
1. Copy the downloaded file to a bootable DOS USB key and rename the file name to less than or equal to 8 characters (8.3 format), like 8900A09.exe.
2. Power on the system, then Press F12 key and Select "USB Storage Device" and Boot to DOS prompt.
3. Run the file by typing copied file name where the executable is located. 
4. DOS System will auto restart and update BIOS while system startup screen. 
5. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot to take effect.

I have not tried the above and cannot confirm it to solve this issue. 

I will report back.

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

February 7th, 2018 16:00

I installed the new BIOS. Everything went smoothly, no problems.

February 7th, 2018 18:00

did windows load up fine right after installing new bios or did you need to reinstall OS?

I tried booting to dos usb and then running the new bios.  Still stuck at windows screen. Then tried to reinstall windows 7 and it froze.

What did work for me was installing bios from Feb 2017 and then reinstalling windows 7.

Edit:  Failed

I ran dell driver update excluding bios and windows update.  reboot. and stuck at "starting windows" screen.

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

February 7th, 2018 18:00

I didn't have to reinstall Windows.

I ran the BIOS update from within Windows. It updated the BIOS, took a minute, maybe 2. Then the computer restarted and Windows opened as it usually does.

4 Posts

February 9th, 2018 13:00

I did the Dec.2.2.1 BIOS update. I didn't have a problem. Then I saw there were people having problems. I saw that Dell  took it down. I was afraid to go back to an early ver. Now there is a new Feb. 2.2.1.I'm afraid to do that one.

4 Posts

February 16th, 2018 13:00

So I updated to the February version of the 2.2.1 update, and the bios bricked my computer.  I still haven't found a solution.  I wish I'd found this thread prior to doing the bios update.  I tried downgrading the bios to no avail.  Does anyone know if this is happening specific to dell 8900 only with ssd drives or is it all drives?

No Events found!