Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2018 17:00

XPS 8900, stopped accepting any sound input

I have having an odd issue.  My computer no longer accepts any sound input from any type of input device.  I have tried with my 3.5 jack microphone, my USB webcam, and even my Bluetooth headset i use for my phone.  in each instance the sound panel says the devices are working normally, but show no input received on the sound level meter.  when using Skype the other person says they cant hear me.

To make it stranger, sound output works normally.  my USB speakers still work fine, and that Bluetooth headset i tried played the sound output normally as well.  The final strangeness is if I set the input device to "listen to this device" in the sound options it will correctly playback the sounds it hears, and the sound level display bounces like normal.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?  I have tried rebooting, and just ran a driver update for the sound input, but the problem is still there.  I havent tried to skype with it set to 'listen to this device' though

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 22nd, 2018 17:00

Have you checked your settings in Skype?
Tools > Options > Audio  - Is correct microphone selected from the list?

Does Skype have permissions set in Win 10?
Start > Settings > Privacy - Does Skype have permission to use the microphone? 

June 22nd, 2018 18:00

That was it! Somehow my computer turned off all microphone permissions so nothing could listen to it.  No idea how that happened, but it works again.  Thanks dude!

let me check that. i dont routinely use other voice input progams so that might be it

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

:Yes:  :Yes:

If you recently updated to the April'18 release of Win 10, it might have had those permissions turned off by default, but that's just a guess...

At least it's working now.  :Cool:

No Events found!