Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 14th, 2019 19:00

XPS 8910, Dell vs Intel heatsink/fan

hello again - have another upgrade ? - xps 8910 - am going to upgrade from i5 6400 cpu to i7 6700 - i know dell uses the same heatsink/fan for both cpus - ordered an intel retail box cpu with heatsink/fan - just wondering if i can use the heatsink/fan that comes with it or should i reuse the dell one. have read that dell fan is wired different and intel fan will cause errors . thanks for any input.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 21st, 2019 11:00

@johnman58j wrote:

thanks for the reply RoHe, turns out the intel fan/heatsink does not attach to the motherboard the same as the dell one - so i just reused the dell and all is well . the speed increase with the new cpu coupled with the new ssd is great - had to chain down the tower to keep it from flying out the front door !!!! ha ha . one thing though - still not sure if i should change the bios setting for sata controller from raid to ahci now that the ssd is installed. with the original hhd the setting is at raid but with the drive cloned to a ssd [only drive in system now] wondering if it should be changed to ahci for better ssd performance or will it really make any difference - have read that switching it could cause errors. thanks again.  

If it ain't broke, don't break it.

If it's working ok with BIOS set to RAID, don't mess with changing to AHCI. That can be done without reinstalling Windows, but why take the risk..?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 15th, 2019 11:00

@johnman58j-

The question is will the Intel heat sink attach and screw in place on the Dell motherboard? Looks like the XPS 8910 uses 4 "captive" screws to hold the Dell heat sink on the motherboard. Don't know how the Intel heat sink mounts. And if you can't install the Intel heat sink, will the the Intel fan mount on the Dell heat sink?

It's likely the Intel CPU fan will give you a "fan error - press F1 to continue" error every time you boot. PC should still boot after pressing F1, but BIOS won't be able to control CPU fan speed.

You probably should search this forum to see if anyone mentions using a non-Dell heat sink and/or fan in the XPS 8910.

Don't forget that you'll need a small tube of thermal paste (eg, Arctic Silver, etc.) and apply a thin coat to the surfaces before attaching the heat sink to top of the new CPU.

BTW: Ignore the spammer that will be gone soon...

23 Posts

October 20th, 2019 13:00

thanks for the reply RoHe, turns out the intel fan/heatsink does not attach to the motherboard the same as the dell one - so i just reused the dell and all is well . the speed increase with the new cpu coupled with the new ssd is great - had to chain down the tower to keep it from flying out the front door !!!! ha ha . one thing though - still not sure if i should change the bios setting for sata controller from raid to ahci now that the ssd is installed. with the original hhd the setting is at raid but with the drive cloned to a ssd [only drive in system now] wondering if it should be changed to ahci for better ssd performance or will it really make any difference - have read that switching it could cause errors. thanks again.  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 21st, 2019 09:00

Intel uses pressure fit plastic push pins that frequently fail.

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a11110800ux0153-Heatsink-Mount-Cooling/dp/B007PPZW7Y

23 Posts

October 21st, 2019 12:00

thanks for the reply speedstep - i saw those cheap looking push pins on the intel fan /heatsink that's why i reused the dell one. thanks again. 

23 Posts

October 21st, 2019 12:00

sounds good RoHe. i will take your advice and leave it alone. TY

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 21st, 2019 13:00

You're welcome.

Please mark this thread "Answered" - thanks.

No Events found!