Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

December 16th, 2018 15:00

XPS 8910, USB, no keyboard or mouse work

I have a XPS Dimension 8910 Tower, connecting a keyboard or mouse to any of the USB ports fails (the  keyboard and mouse are not detected). The failure is pre-boot, so is not Windows related. I have tried all 4 ports on the front, the 4 USB 3.0 ports on the back as well as the 2 USB 2.0 ports on the back. I tried multiple wired keyboards and mice, which work fine on other PC's. When the issue started off the ports were flaky, I had to un-plug and re-connect, to get them to work. Last time I was able to use them, I confirmed USB was enabled in the BIOS. The UEFI BIOS is set to default settings. Connecting a powered USB hub to any of the ports, I am still not able to connect and detect the keyboard or mice off the hub. I have also tried the remaining tips from the thread, https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/XPS-8910-Rear-USB-2-0-ports-not-working/m-p/5098676, like removing and reconnecting the motherboard battery.

The only way I can access my PC is remote desktop from another system after the Dell boots in to Windows 10.

The only thing I have not tried is the USB Type-C port since I have no hardware to test using that port.

I wanted to confirm if this is a common issue with this model or similar Dell systems. Also, if there is anything else I can try.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

December 17th, 2018 14:00

Thanks  Tesla1856,

That's what I suspected, just wanted someone else to confirm my suspicions. I decided to go with a 4 port PCI-Express to USB card, that should allow me to use a keyboard and mouse. I realize I loose all those extra ports, however I doubt if I really needed that many anyway (8 USB 3.0, 1 USB 3.1 and 2 USB 2.0). And it is lot cheaper / easier than replacing the entire motherboard. I did think of going Bluetooth, however that would a lot cost more than the I/O card and would have been difficult to setup without a working keyboard and mouse to start with, plus Bluetooth would not of been accessible pre-boot.

I'll post if that works out fine, hopefully that would help any one else who runs in to a similar issue and is out of warranty.

I have built numerous systems for myself over the years and never had one suffer such a catastrophic failure, whereas I bought only 2 desktops from Dell in a couple of decades. One had the motherboard replaced under warranty and the other died, this way, months after the warranty expired. I expected more from a 2 grand rig that is less than 2 years old.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 16th, 2018 22:00

Sounds like a bad motherboard.

Not common to XPS-8910 (that I know of) but over-the-years, I have seen various machines loose all USB, network, etc.

If you are out of warranty, you might be able to pickup a XPS-8910 MB on eBay. If this is Windows-10, good idea to extract the current key just in case you need it.

If you want to keep that MB, this is the only thing I can think of:

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro-Desktops/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6068393/highlight/true#M1292

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

December 19th, 2018 16:00

Confirming the PCI-Express USB card that I got worked fine. The one I got was also a Renesas chipset, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166038 and worked fine on Windows 10 version 1803.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

December 19th, 2018 18:00

I am glad this solved your problem and worked for you although the card did get a lot of negative reviews.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

December 19th, 2018 19:00

Reading the reviews most of the issues were on either AMD motherboard's or on early versions of Windows 10. Current version's of Win 10 contain drivers for a Renesas chipset. On Win 10 I wouldn't use the drivers on the CD that comes with the card.

The only gripe I have with it was, for extra power it comes with a Molex connector. It would have been better if it was a SATA power connector or came with an adapter. However right now I don't have a need for the extra power, but I have adapters should I need it in the long run.

Anyone needing extra power for the USB ports, like for external hard drIves, should keep that in mind.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

December 20th, 2018 03:00

How did you install the card? Did you just put the card in, connect your keyboard and mouse to it and then boot up or did you have to remote into your PC to install the card?

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

December 20th, 2018 05:00

Hi Vic384,

I just installed the card and connected the keyboard and mouse, then booted up.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

December 20th, 2018 08:00

Hi ramster66,

Thanks for the info. Good to know and file for the future.

October 21st, 2019 09:00

I believe this is a common problem.  I have two XPS 8910 towers, and already had one motherboard replaced under warrantee for this problem.  Now both of them have the behavior again.  The failures start with the first port, then the second port fails, etc.  There are multiple discussions about this issue.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

October 21st, 2019 10:00

My USB ports did not completely fail but were intermittent; sometimes the keyboard was not detected. To prevent the ports from failing completely, I run my mouse and keyboard off a powered USB hub. I believe the problem is with the circuit on the motherboard that provides USB power.

November 29th, 2019 07:00

Thanks. I am also having the same problem. My ports are also very intermittent. If I shut off my computer and turn it back on, I will have either the mouse, keyboard or both not working. I have to switch around the USB ports to get them to work. I thought Dell computers were much better quality than this. Next computer will not be a Dell due to this. Idk maybe it is just the 8910. I was thinking about getting an Alienware for gaming, but idk now. I guess I will try an external USB.

1 Message

July 20th, 2021 08:00

Thanks for the posts,  Have a 2017 XPS 8910 with ongoing USB problems.

I installed a 4 port PCI USB card which worked great, but surprisingly also increased the speed my computer ran at.   Wondering if the power drain was affecting the computer.

No Events found!