Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2018 13:00

XPS 8920 sound card upgrade

I’m upgrading my audio to a Sound Blaster Audigy Rx. The instructions are asking me to uninstall the audio drivers before I install it and load their drivers.

I’m reasonably certain that Realtek is the driver I need to uninstall because it drives (Speaker / Headphones) Realtek Audio Default device.

Sound, video and game controllers

Intel® Display Audio

(graphics card) High Definition Audio

(graphics card) Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Realtek Audio

My question is will I still be able to use the -Front Panel- headphone and microphone jacks.

(The sound card I’m installing doesn’t have the ability to plug those jacks into the card.) I would appreciate some help.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

February 12th, 2018 13:00

I don't see how the front panel headphone and microphone jacks would work if you uninstall the Realtek drivers. I am not sure whether or not you have to uninstall the Realtek drivers; Control Panel allows you to manage audio devices and you can have multiple audio devices from other sources including via USB, via HDMI from video cards, etc. 

February 12th, 2018 10:00

yes you should be able to 

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

February 12th, 2018 15:00

You'd need to make a physical connection between the new card and front panel ports - so, if you install a sound card, the answer is - no, the existing front panel ports will not function.

No Events found!