Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

3 Posts

February 9th, 2019 14:00

XPS 8930, Bios rollback, Wake failures, and PSM return

XPS 8930 no longer wakes from sleep after the latest bios update. As there a way to rollback the BIOS or fix the problem somehow? I also have updated the power settings numerous times to prevent sleep and power saving mode, but it regularly gets changed. Is there any way to prevent this without upgrading the OS to be able to use group policy, etc?  I also have other XPS 8930 at work, but only applied the bios update on my personal machine.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 9th, 2019 17:00

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Find the "USB Wake Support (S3)" option in the Power options area of BIOS setup, and set it to Enabled. (Disabled is probably the default setting.)

Do not make any other changes in BIOS setup, but save the change to Wake Support and exit setup.

Better?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 9th, 2019 17:00

(Couldn't edit my previous post...) BR>
Open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click a USB root hub and on its Power Management tab, uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all root hubs.

And while in Device Manager uncheck that same box for any Human Interface Device that has a Power Management tab.

Then open the Windows Power options screen. Identify the active plan and follow the links to Change settings>Additional Options. Disable Hibernation, Hybrid Sleep, USB Selective Suspend, and PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the Power plan and reboot.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 11th, 2019 22:00

@Ted2102 wrote:

1. XPS 8930 no longer wakes from sleep after the latest bios update. 

2.  but it regularly gets changed.

1. In BIOS, try flipping/switching options on-or-off like:
- CPU C6 Report.
- S3 sleep only (instead of S4/S5)
- Disable "Deep Sleep"
- USB Wake Support in S3 (sometimes enables waking from Sleep with a mouse)

2. In UEFI-Mode (yes, that's the right Mode) ... pretty sure this is by-design. I think Windows itself can change some BIOS options.

No Events found!