Unsolved

D

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 17th, 2019 21:00

XPS 8930, Clean upgrade 1903, Dell USB Recovery Tool

Do not know if it makes a difference but this is a Windows 10 PRO system

I have been experiencing Dell Media Connect problems under 1809 and working with Dell Support .  I used the Dell USB Recovery Tool to give them a clean install of 1809 to work troubleshoot with and the problem was not resolved.   

After several more unsuccessful attempts by Dell at repairing DMC I then promised them a clean install of 1903 for them to test with when Dell thought 1903 was stable enough.  I intended to rebuild my system under 1903 while they troubleshot it.

Rather than telling me to use the Dell USB Recovery Tool they sent me a link to Microsoft to obtain the ISO which I used to build an install USB and upgraded with no Windows problems ( BUT had a new Dell Support Assist problem BSOD BAD_POOL_CALLER). 

I disconnected all but boot the boot SSD and since I was worried about deleting the Dell diagnostic partition I only deleted the C: or OS partition rather than all partitions before the install.  Did not feel comfortable doing it this way.

I thought the Dell USB Recovery Tool for 1903 would allow me to go back and delete all partitions and recreate the original environment (Image & Diagnostics) under 1903 but appears can only go back to "download a customized Dell recovery image of Microsoft Windows or Linux that was preinstalled on your Dell PC."

All I really want is to do is delete all the partitions to allow them too be re-created by the 1903 install BUT at same time retain the Dell Support Diagnostics partition.  Do not care about the Factory Image unless dell requires if for some reason.   

Can I simply leave the Dell Support Diagnostics partition (last partition) intact and remove all others then reinstall using the Windows 1903 ISO.  Will the diagnostic partition then be available with F12.  Any other possible problems?

Or is there any another way to do this.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2019 07:00

There is NO "Dell Support Diagnostics partition"

Enhanced Pre-Boot System Diagnostics (ePSA) is in bios now. Has been for some time.

• 

17K Posts

June 18th, 2019 09:00

dnorcott,

If you delete all partitions then there will be no way to restore the system other than downloading the Dell Win10 iso.

The "DELLSUPPORT" partition is the backup restore partition.

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 18th, 2019 09:00

This may be a duplicate.  Posted, Edited, then it message disappeared.
My XPS is about 6 months old. Do not know if this effects shown partitions BUT:
1) A month in after suspected system corruption restored to factory image.
2) Reinstalled 1809 Using Dell Recovery USB tool to provide clean test bed for Dell
3) Clean install of 1903 (deleted C: partiton) again for Dell test bed 

Disk Manager shows 3 system partitions PLUS a "DELLSUPPORT" parttion and an "Image" partition.  

Is the DELLSUPPORT 1.12GB NTFS a unused relic or is it something other than the Diagnostic partition.

If I do not need the DELLSUPPORT partition and I have created the Recovery Media, then if I do a clean Windows install (delete all partitions on boot drive) and use only the MS Windows ISO will this in any way affect my Dell  extended support.  Do they only require the ability to go back to the factory image?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 19th, 2019 10:00

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 19th, 2019 11:00

Sorry I seemed to have mislead everyone as to the question I was asking.   

I  do not  want to delete the partitions to gain space and an quite happy to leave them there if they are picked up by subsequent installs of Windows and remain useful.

I have accumulated five "boot" USBs for various restore and repair scenarios and can install Windows or my XPS8930 factory image to a blank system drive.

What I wanted to do was a clean install on any major update (in this case 1809 to 1903) by  deleting all partitions and have windows re-create them.   

I guess my question now becomes twofold
1) If I do not delete the Dell partitions will the install recognize them keep there functionality intact (think DELL SUPPORT may integrated into WinRETools so don't think it will work)

2)If I delete all partitions what functionality have I lost.  I still have a USB (build with Dell OS Recovery Tool) in unlikely event I want to restore the factory image.  I believe that same USB gives me any diagnostic/repair functionality that the DELLSUPPORT partition may add.  Is this correct.

The only other issue is Dell Support.  Do they require the presence of these partitions. 

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

June 20th, 2019 04:00

Hi dnorcott,

Thanks for posting the update.

As I understand it, the diagnostics are on a separate partition, if all the partitions are deleted, then they will have to be recreated in order to restore the factory image.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 21st, 2019 08:00

@dnorcott wrote:

1) If I do not delete the Dell partitions 

2)If I delete all partitions what functionality have I lost. 

1. Yes, delete all partitions and clean install.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/m-p/6073081/highlight/true#M3401

2. None

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

June 25th, 2019 09:00

That link is a good detailed guide line for the process. Thank you! 

I have had (including work machines) probably 7 or 8 Dell systems and up until now have not worried much about wither or not I retained any of the Dell partitions on an new OS install.  Last Dell PC ran with no Dell partitions and only drivers loaded by windows for last several years of its life.

What has changed now is for the first time I have taken extended warranty on a new system so want to ensure at some point I am not told I have to have a specific configuration for them to troubleshoot with.

Can anyone shed light on this aspect.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

June 25th, 2019 11:00

If you are having any issues with the system and it involves the hard drive, the system would have to be returned to the same configuration as it arrived from the factory.  There shouldn't be a problem with tech support, however you really shouldn't delete the restore partition.

No Events found!