XPS Desktops

Last reply by 07-02-2020 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

XPS-8930 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Question

Does anybody know what Make and Model of SSD is used in the XPS-8930 Tower Special Edition?

It is listed as a 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (SKU 400-AXKN).

I saw in the XPS 8930 manual that it lists a maximum of 1TB for the M.2 slot as 1TB.  Is this a misprint or does it have to be partitioned into 2 drives in order to access all the space (2 TB).

I am upgrading from an XPS 8910, so using an SSD for a boot drive is new to me.  How does this work?

Thanks!

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheRoots   I was wondering if all 2TB of the SSD could be 1 boot partition, because the manual mentions a 1TB maximum in the M.2 slot

My 2TB M.2 SSD has one boot partition. The manual is a typo or just out of date.

View solution in original post

Replies (6)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheRoots   Does anybody know what Make and Model of SSD is used in the XPS-8930 Tower Special Edition?

Mine is 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Toshiba. There may be others.

I am upgrading from an XPS 8910, so using an SSD for a boot drive is new to me. How does this work?

Push the power button and the computer boots up . . . fast.

@Anonymous , thanks for the info.

I was wondering if all 2TB of the SSD could be 1 boot partition, because the manual mentions a 1TB maximum in the M.2 slot.

Thanks again.

@Anonymous  this is the Storage section from the XPS 8930 specifications:

Screenshot_20200702-030141_Samsung Internet.jpg

3 Argentum

Hi, @TheRoots ,

"I saw in the XPS 8930 manual that it lists a maximum of 1TB for the M.2 slot as 1TB. Is this a misprint or does it have to be partitioned into 2 drives in order to access all the space (2 TB)."

Sorry, can't answer that directly, however, it is NOT unknown for Dell to list (in their Specifications) the "Limits" on what is supplied at the time the Manual was first produced!

As an example, I understand (from @Anonymous Post in your other thread) that you can now get RTX Nvidia Graphics Cards - yet, theses are NOT listed in the Specification Manual!

Regards,
John,

(I detest "CAPTCHA - Photos". The Photos are always blurred & the questions refer to Americanisms - hence NOT always Internationally understandable!)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheRoots   I was wondering if all 2TB of the SSD could be 1 boot partition, because the manual mentions a 1TB maximum in the M.2 slot

My 2TB M.2 SSD has one boot partition. The manual is a typo or just out of date.

@Anonymous 

Thank you.  Thank you what I suspected, but I didn't want to buy more than what could be addressed.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor