Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 3rd, 2018 20:00

XPS 8930, Samsung 860 EVO SSD upgrade

I recently got an 8930 with a 2TB HD. I decided after the fact to add an Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I would like this to be the computers C: drive. What would be my best course of action to get the pre loaded windows 10 on to the ssd and load from there on out?  I haven’t turned the new computer on yet if that helps. Thank you. 

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

June 4th, 2018 04:00

It doesn't matter if you have turned the computer on yet or not, but it may be better to turn it on first with the HDD just to make sure everything is working before installing the SSD. When ready just install the SSD and then use Samsung Data Migration software to clone the HDD to the SSD. Be sure to disconnect the HDD when cloning is complete before booting from the SSD. Your HDD will serve as a backup in case there is a problem. When everything is working to your satisfaction, connect and re-initialize the HDD for use as additional storage. 

140 Posts

June 4th, 2018 21:00

After you've completed the installation as described by Vic384, you'll want to consider whether you want to use the Samsung NVMe driver.  If you do, you'll have to change the Sata setting in the bios from Raid to AHCI.  You'll get better speed out of the drive if you do this and then install the Samsung NVMe driver.

If you haven't already purchased the EVO 960 you might want to get an EVO 970.  Better performance for just a little more.  The 500gb model only costs about 50 cents more on Amazon.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

June 5th, 2018 04:00

Koeven's post reminded me that I forgot to mention that Dell normally sets SATA Operation mode in the BIOS to RAID, but Samsung's Magician software requires AHCI mode to work properly. You can switch to AHCI mode by changing the BIOS setting and running a procedure to "Switch Windows 10 from RAID/IDE to AHCI operation" within Windows 10 without having to reinstall. Here is a link to the procedure: https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

I don't think you will need the Samsung NVMe driver because the Samsung 860 EVO is not an NVMe drive. 

5 Posts

June 5th, 2018 10:00

Thank you so much, i will give this a try hopefully before the weekend and let you know how it goes.

No Events found!