Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MM

2 Posts

January 7th, 2019 18:00

XPS 8930 VR not up to task

Del community,

I have an XPS 8930, with 16G of RAM, and the 1080 graphics card. I think it has a 430W power supply. I received an Oculus Rift for Christmas.  The oculus home software and games are on the SSD. 

The problem is the computer doesn't seem to be functioning to specification.  I'm playing 2 games so far.  My dell exceeds the minimum and recommended specs for both games by a lot. Im playing Onward and Apex Construt. While using the Oculus i felt like something wasn't working correctly. When i was in free motion in Apex Construct, the vision inside the vr headset would be reduced by about 50%. It was reduced around the edges of my fov by about 50% As soon as i stopped motion my fov returned to normal.  

I went on to Onwards wiki to see what the players recommend for the graphics settings,  and set about to try and maximize my graphics because what i was seeing through the headset was not as clear as what i was seeing in people's you tube videos. 

2 of the wiki recommendations were to change the power management setting to 'maximum performance  and to increase super sampling from 1 to 1.5. As soon as I did that i was dropping frames left and right and I was only on the main start screen. The oculus is supposed to be 90 fps, but it dropped to 45 and my graphics card was at 90-95% utilization. 

I'm looking for help and or advice.  I don't think my computer is running at its full potential.  It's not loaded down with hardly anything, and i just purchased it during the summer on 2018.  I just use it for gaming. Also,  in task manager,  with admin rights,  I was not 'allowed' to change the priority of the onward exe program to 'high'. This is my first Dell. Is it common for someone with admin privilege to not be allowed to change priority in task manager? 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 8th, 2019 10:00

For starters, do you have the latest drivers for chipset, video card, USB, etc. installed?

Sure Windows is set to use the NVidia card for the games and not the onboard Intel HD Graphics?

January 8th, 2019 11:00

Ron,

Thanks for taking some time to help. I did check for updates for all of those items. I needed to upgrade the 1080 and USB. I didn't see anything come up for the chipset. The HDMI cable for the oculus is connected directly to one of the 1080 card's ports. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 8th, 2019 15:00

And what about these, which were released ~2 weeks ago?

Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver  12-Dec 2018
Intel Serial IO Driver 12-Dec 2018

Did the USB firmware update make any difference? 

Did you check the Oculus site and their forum and/or the game makers' sites to see if there are any new updates for their hardware/software?  I see people started having fps issues after an update to Oculus software in Oct'18.

What "stuff" is running in the background on your PC that might be hogging resources on your PC? Open Task Manager and look at the CPU column on the Processes tab to see what processes related and unrelated to Oculus are using lots of CPU time when in 3D mode, aside from System Idle Process.

The XPS 8930 BIOS has some options for overclocking which might improve performance but that's beyond my pay grade. :Wink:

No Events found!