Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2022 15:00

XPS 8930, added SSD, now no video

How do I know if I have a bad video card? I upgraded my wife's XPS 8930 with a new SSD and in the process did a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro. Today, the computer did not appear to be booting so I suspect she turned it on and off a few times. When I looked at it, it was powered on and seemed to just have a blank screen. No video.

Unplugging and plugging in USB devices produced the familiar tones as if Windows was running. Soundbar was powered. Green light on the back was on. Keyboard numlock/capslock on/off okay.

Unplugged/replugged HDMI cable and nothing. Plugged it into the onboard graphics HDMI and nothing.

Removed the video card and plugged into the onboard HDMI port and everything worked.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-white-LED-no-video-or-beeps/m-p/8078731/highlight/true

Found this (page 3 of the thread) about "Secure Boot" not supported. Is this my problem or is it the video card?

If it is the video card, or if not having secure boot is really bad, what video card is suggested. She wants to drive two 4k monitors.

Thank you.

12 Posts

May 19th, 2022 14:00

This is a short card, and there is no power connector to the card. Fan works on the card. It came installed from the factory.

I suspect the card wasn't fully seated, although I have not had to remove it. But I have not tried it again. She's happy with it as is for now, so I'll try it again next week while she is at work.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

May 18th, 2022 16:00

I hate poor designs on Motherboard which require you to remove GPU just to replace/install an SSD

Once the machine is powered on do you notice the GPU fan spinning ?? 

About GPU upgrade : Just driving dual 4k is not enough information. If she is not into graphic editing  o Games on those 4k Monitor any mid range GPU will do the job. 

Link for one such card. 

One suggestion : Dell is known to leave very small space inside chassis, please check measurement of the card before purchasing 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 19th, 2022 12:00

Since onboard Intel video works, that says the motherboard, SSD etc are all ok. (NOTE: You can only use onboard video if the add-in video card is removed, so that explains your observations.)

If you didn't install a different video card and it was working before you installed the SSD, the Secure Boot setting in BIOS is irrelevant. Unless, at some point you installed a "retail" video card which would likely require Secure Boot to be disabled. Even so, that BIOS setting shouldn't have changed, while you were working inside, assuming the motherboard battery is ok.

I suspect you didn't reconnect the PCI-e power cable from the PSU to the video card after you reinstalled that card in the x16 slot. The power cable has either a 6- or 8-pin connector and typically plugs in along the top edge of the video card. Without the extra power supplied by that cable, the video card won't work.

12 Posts

May 20th, 2022 15:00

Reinstalled card and made sure it was well seated, and it works. It's a beast with the SSD and 64gb of memory. I only meant to put in 32, but got two 16gb sticks -- which it doesn't support, oddly enough. Got two more instead of dealing with a return and exchange for 3 more 8gb sticks. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2022 12:00

Glad you got it working.

Why did you say the XPS 8930 doesn't support 2x 16 GB? Did you actually test that config with the modules you bought?

Just because 2x 16 GB isn't listed in the Service Manual doesn't mean this config won't work. Dell only lists configs they've actually tested/validated, but they only test "likely" configs and never all possible configs.

BTW: you're not supposed to post offers to give/sell hardware on this forum.

12 Posts

May 22nd, 2022 14:00

Yes, I tried it. Got the blink code on power button for memory error. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2022 21:00

Sure those 2x 16 GB modules are compatible?

Did you remove the original RAM module?

What slots did you use for 2x 16 GB?

Did you clear BIOS after installing 2x 16 GB?

12 Posts

May 23rd, 2022 05:00

One stick was bad and replaced. I thought it was because 2 16gb sticks weren't supported. I never tried 2x16 after getting the replacement.

I used slots 1 & 2. (White)

I removed the original 8gb stick

Never cleared the BIOS. Not sure what "clearing" the BIOS means. It recognizes changes in RAM automatically.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2022 12:00

Sometimes you have to "clear BIOS", especially when there's a change like going from 1x 8 to 2x 16 GB, to make sure BIOS sees the change correctly.

In theory, BIOS should correctly recognize changes automatically, but then reality gets in the way.

Maybe you should try 2x 16 GB out of curiosity, if nothing else.  2x 16 might be a bit more efficient than 4x 8 GB...

No Events found!