Highlighted
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

There are a number of places to mount a fan.    Ideally you would install fans in two locations

1) The upper front intake area after moving the HDD to the rear bracket in the lower chassis.   The upper front area is a dead spot and hot air accumulates there and removing the hard drive and adding the intake fan increases airflow to the upper half of the chassis that is already problematic because of the cramped area from the swinging power supply being there.

2) The lower front intake area helps to cool the area below the GPU and PCI-e slots and hard drives you have in the lower part of the chassis.  Remove the lower slot tabs on the back of the machine.  If you have both hard drive brackets in that location and are not using one or the other, remove them, they just block airflow.

If you have a full size GPU installed like I do that is 10.5" long, the GPU basically divides the case into two parts as it restricts the airflow from the lower intake fan to the upper compartment.  So if you are having problems with CPU temps, you need to add a intake fan to the upper area as well to balance the case pressure.

Summary here:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-GPU-and-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-PSU-Case-Swap-Upgrade...

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

There are a couple of LittleBear84 mad fan pics of possible locations of fans in the XPS 8930 case.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-GTX-1080-Hybrid-GPU-Upgrades/...

In the upper intake front location, if you remove the upper HDD bracket you can place a fan there.  You can go to the extreme of drilling mounting holes for 120mm fans in the front of the chassis there but you can certainly use some advanced mounting tape to mount the fan in that location inside the chassis.  Full size 120mm x120mm x 25mm fan will fit.

In the lower front intake area, you can certainly install a fan using 546insp methods.  However, there is a mounting location at the XPS 8930 front intake for a Aurora R5/R6/R7 fan bracket that snaps in.  The XPS 8930 shares the same chassis with the current Aurora.  That would be the easiest way to put a fan there....just change the fan out if you want to put a different fan in that bracket.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-CPU-Liquid-Cooler-GTX-1080-Hybrid-GPU-Upgrades/...

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

I think all you would ever need is a PWM 120mm fan in the lower rear of the front of the case and tie it into the top fan so they work together and it won't require removing any hdd bays. I think you just need an overall airflow from the front to the rear top but whatever you do block ALL venting around the new fan like I did so ONLY outside front air enters. Mounting with thick weather stripping will let your new fan "float" so it doesn't transmit any noise to the case. My computer is completely quiet now and the occasional fan noise from the top rear is gone. I can hold piece of light paper up to the side of the front of the case and the new front fan will hold it there.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

@546insp wrote:

I think all you would ever need is a PWM 120mm fan in the lower rear of the front of the case and tie it into the top fan so they work together and it won't require removing any hdd bays. I think you just need an overall airflow from the front to the rear top but whatever you do block ALL venting around the new fan like I did so ONLY outside front air enters. Mounting with thick weather stripping will let your new fan "float" so it doesn't transmit any noise to the case. My computer is completely quiet now and the occasional fan noise from the top rear is gone. I can hold piece of light paper up to the side of the front of the case and the new front fan will hold it there.

I have to respectfully disagree.   Having a fan in the lower intake position is better than having no fan at all but here is a case with a full length card from a couple of views.......the GPU blocks effective airflow from the lower compartment and the power supply is above the GPU and hinders airflow even further.  How can you can effectively get airflow from that lower intake fan position up past those obstacles?  What it will do is lower temps by helping to create better airflow, balance case pressure and lower GPU temps.

img_4042_crx_sm-100705892-orig.jpg

img_4046_crx_sm-100705891-orig.jpg

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

Not everyone has a long gpu like that and that is only the side view. I think the air does go around everything since it's pushed by the front fan and pulled by the top fan but without a test done with thick smoke it's hard to say exactly how it flows. I do know my lower front fan addition dropped the top exit temps quite a bit and completely cured my loud fan problem. After taking a look inside I see that the psu partially blocks both top and bottom front fan positions so I would say either both upper or lower front fan mounting would work about the same but no need to remove the hdd bay with the bottom mounted option. The main thing is to get 100% outside air coming in which I haven't seen anyone in here achieving yet. You have to completely block off all venting leading back to inside the case with tape (around your newly installed front fan).

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
flbigdog
1 Copper

Yes, get the front fan from the Aurora R5-7, with the included black plastic bracket, runs around $19.99 on ebay right now. Buy a PWM fan splitter, open the case, slide battery compartment open, slide fan into place, it clips right into the front, install splitter, reconnect old fans, and you're done.

Good luck, I can add pictures later if needed.

Edit* pic addedIMG_7794.jpgAurora R5-7 Series front chassis fan in 8930.

mr_archer
2 Iron

Thanks for posting. I have an SSD and 3 Harddrives so the directed air flowing over the bottom mounted drives will definitely help. And, who doesn't love a OEM plug and play mount. Thanks!
0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

@mr_archer wrote:
Thanks for posting. I have an SSD and 3 Harddrives so the directed air flowing over the bottom mounted drives will definitely help. And, who doesn't love a OEM plug and play mount. Thanks!

That's nice but don't forget to block off all the air around it so it won't make a U turn and blow back in.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
mr_archer
2 Iron

Thanks for the tip. So, I order the R5-7 front case fan and splitter and I end up getting a R5-7 TOP case fan. So, I'm obviously a little ticked but I take a look at the stock top case fan and notice it's much smaller. I see the tabs on the R5-7 frame plate appear to fit the 8930 case, but upon trial fitting, I see that when mounted, the front screw hole is off, but worse, the fan is at least 1/4" too forward of center for the top grate.

Assuming the SE's use the bigger top case fan, is there a different fan bracket used on the SE? It appears the bigger fan has twice the CFM so this should be a nice upgrade, but would prefer a plug and play bracket to avoid voiding the warranty.

Anyone sort this out?I 've searched and see a few posts about upgrading the top fan, but little detail and it appears they went aftermarket and drilled for screws or taped. Looking for a more stock solution. Thanks for any input. In the meantime, I'm hoping this eBay seller send the correct fan without too much trouble.

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

@mr_archer wrote:

Thanks for the tip. So, I order the R5-7 front case fan and splitter and I end up getting a R5-7 TOP case fan. So, I'm obviously a little ticked but I take a look at the stock top case fan and notice it's much smaller. I see the tabs on the R5-7 frame plate appear to fit the 8930 case, but upon trial fitting, I see that when mounted, the front screw hole is off, but worse, the fan is at least 1/4" too forward of center for the top grate.

Assuming the SE's use the bigger top case fan, is there a different fan bracket used on the SE? It appears the bigger fan has twice the CFM so this should be a nice upgrade, but would prefer a plug and play bracket to avoid voiding the warranty.

Anyone sort this out?I 've searched and see a few posts about upgrading the top fan, but little detail and it appears they went aftermarket and drilled for screws or taped. Looking for a more stock solution. Thanks for any input. In the meantime, I'm hoping this eBay seller send the correct fan without too much trouble.

I would just put a PWM 120mm Arctic brand in the front with double sided tape and the splitter it comes with and be done with it. (Like I did) Did you see my posts on it? Screws cause noise, arctic is quiet to start with. Is that one you ordered 120mm?

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos