Highlighted
2 Iron

XPS 8930, possible to install a front case fan?

In an effort to cool my hard drive, I was wondering if a front case fan could be fit into an XPS 8930.  When I looked inside, there seems to be enough room for one.  I've never installed a fan before and I'm reading that it could be powered by plugging the power cable into a spot on the motherboard.  On the XPS 8930 motherboard, I do see the words "Front Fan" in a location where such a spot would exist but there's nothing to plug into.  Unlike the "Top Fan" and "CPU Fan" which do have something a power cable plugs into, I don't see anywhere in the motherboard where a front fan would plug into.  Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS 8930?

0 Kudos
113 Replies
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Re: Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS 8930?

You could always plug the fan directly into the power supply with the proper connector but you will not be able to control its speed. I would also like to know if someone was able to physically mount a fan in the front of the case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS 8930?

There won't be a connector on the mainboard - it would have to plug directly into the power supply. 

It's been a while since I have seen the inside of one of these, but I don't recall there being anywhere to mount the fan in one - the case is small and pretty tightly packed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Re: Is it possible to install a front case fan into the XPS

The Arctic (and probably others) PWM fan comes with a splitter that ties into the top fan on the mobo and there is enough room for two 120mm front fans in that "tiny" case.

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Is it meaningful to put a 120mm fan in the front top location when the grill through which it can pull air is only about 100mm x 60mm?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i wrote:

Is it meaningful to put a 120mm fan in the front top location when the grill through which it can pull air is only about 100mm x 60mm?

I didn't put mine in the top and the bottom is nearly 120 x 120. Plus it cured my fan problems.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Tungsten

Ok, I see now. I have read your comments in a few threads. When you are referencing "two 120mm fans"; you mean one in the bottom front and the top exhaust fan. I need to check the size of my top exhaust fan, and perhaps upgrade there, if needed. I really appreciate the comments. This is all very new to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

I wouldn't put one in the top front, it's blocked off by the power supply and you would have to remove the HDD cage there also. Air from a bottom front one will make it's way up past the CPU and out the top rear. Just make sure all the air comes from the outside up front and you will be fine.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

@546insp wrote:

I wouldn't put one in the top front, it's blocked off by the power supply and you would have to remove the HDD cage there also. Air from a bottom front one will make it's way up past the CPU and out the top rear. Just make sure all the air comes from the outside up front and you will be fine.

That is just nonsense. 

The idea is to create a path of airflow from the front of the case up to the exhaust fan and having a front intake fan in the upper position would accomplish that and also keep the hot air from the back of chassis to be recirculated by balancing the case pressure. The concept of airflow is to keep all the air moving to the desired exhaust location.   It’s not always the number of fans that is important, it is all about controlling the movement of air in and out of the case and across key components by balancing case pressure.

Look at how the XPS 8930 chassis is designed and how a full length GPU and the PSU bracket restricts the airflow to the the upper half of the machine from that front intake position.  The airflow from the front intake position to the upper exhaust fan is seriously obstructed. 

Put an i7 8700 in your case  with a higher end GPU and let me know how effective just your front intake fan is in controlling CPU and case temps.  That is why the Alienware Aurora R7 with the i7 8700 with the same front intake fan installed at delivery needs liquid cooling to manage the CPU  temps at gaming loads. Going back to my early statement about controlling the movement of air, the lower intake fan helps move cool air to the GPU, but is not effective in this case in helping with CPU temps at load.   Having a fan there is necessary, but the obstructed case design reduces its effectiveness for overall case temps and balancing case pressure.

FYI, The idea of putting a front intake fan in this case isn’t new.  The XPS 8930 heat problems surfaced right away and  it was discovered by a few early XPS 8930 adopters that the SE version of the machine had a fan in the front intake position shown on ad videos.   The video also showed that there was a different CPU heatsink and fan available that cooled the CPU a little better. 

It didn’t take long to figure out this machine used the same fan as the Alienware R5/R6/R7 in the front intake position and that was the easiest and cheapest way to add a front intake fan.   That’s why  I bought that R5/R6 fan and bracket when I bought this machine to see if it was possible to liquid cool the CPU and  be able to use the XPS 8930 for gaming.

For those with the XPS 8930 and the i7 8700(k), CPU liquid cooling can be done but it isn’t always viable.  Just the lower fan isn’t enough to mitigate the CPU temps at load. The i7 8700 chip is a beast. Add a high end card and the heat builds up in the case fairly quickly. The amount of heat coming out of the top of my case even with both a liquid cooled CPU and GPU while playing Gambit on Destiny 2 at 3440 x 1440 and just 60 fps is scary.

Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Not nonsense at all, a 120mm fan in the bottom front is quite efficient. The problem is nobody bothers to extract the air from the outside only (see my thread on it). They put little fans in the front that blow hot air around inside the case and wonder why they didn't do any good. Not a gamer but my blasting fan days are over.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos