XPS Desktops

Last reply by 07-21-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

XPS 8940, Better 3rd party cooler

Hello there

I would greatly appreciate any help to find a new/better 3rd party cooler for my XPS 8940. It came with the thin and small stock cooler and is overheating the whole time. I got a i9-10900 processor with 128 GB of RAM and I need this computer to generate some GIS layers. These jobs take 2-4 hrs every time and I can see that the processor is throttling or C° 97+ all the time.

I tried the Noctua 15S but the problem is there is no space for the bracket under the motherboard. The stock fan screws directly into the chassis from above.

Thank you very much

Replies (929)

This is a really great thread.

I have 25 years experience in IT and left that role 3 years ago (now I am in the R&D 3D printing world).

Dumb question follows...removing the old paste..paper towel?  Isoprofyl alcohol wipe?

I'm used to building my own systems/gaming rigs.  I needed a system for my YouTube Live Stream and RTX cards are hard to source.  I spent $1900 on this 3070 equipped machine (should arrive in 3 weeks) and it would cost me close to twice that to do my ideal rig (RTX 3090, AMD 5950, etc).  The value is certainly a big plus on this machine.

@LikeHerdingCats 

I use paper towels and regular rubbing alcohol, and a bunch of Q-tips.  Regarding the paper towels, don't use cheap thin ones as they tear easy and leave behind pieces.  Personally I feel that the wipes are too thin and don't pick-up enough of the old paste, especially if it's gunked-up.

@LikeHerdingCats - I only have limited experience that I can count on both hands. But I use the individually wrapped alcohol prep pads. Mainly because I had some here.... They work great for me.

175051589_802737470657114_7463797883876092086_n.jpg

I used paper towel and the Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal Material Remover & Surface Purifier Kit, ACN-60ML, that I bought off Amazon.

@LikeHerdingCats  I use paper towel and the Arctic Silver Arcticlean Thermal Material Remover & Surface Purifier Kit, ACN-60ML, that I bought from Amazon.

Sure thing. 

The front cooler is only attached on two of the four sides (at least I could not find any other suitable holes in the front)..Shouldn't be an issue though unless you're the kind of person that regularly throws their computer out the window Front fanFront fanIMG_20210417_193706.jpg

Hi NHRP,

Just to confirm, is your front fan drawing the air into the case or out of the case?

Thank for your info.

Which version of intel extreme tuning utility are you using?

Because the last one (7.3.0.33) doesn't allow me to chage the voltage offset.

@angel88888 the problem there is not the XTU version, but your BIOS. Last summer, Intel discovered a vulnerability where an attacker with physical access to a computer could manipulate the undervolt feature to bypass some CPU security mechanisms. Extremely unlikely scenario, TBH. But nevertheless Intel asked all motherboard manufacturers to push a BIOS update that locked undervolting. Dell complied, so those of us who bought their PCs since fall 2020 have undervolting locked.

Luckily, there is a way around it  It takes about 20 minutes, involves a bunch of steps and is not for the faint of heart, but it works. Follow the guidance here. I did it and undervolted my i9-10900F by -125mV on core and -30 on cache (after much testing going all the way to -200). This is stable and shaved a few degrees off the temps, as well as about 10-15W power draw at max.

Thank you very much.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor