Unsolved

1 Rookie

• 

70 Posts

July 19th, 2022 15:00

XPS 8940, Intel says...

XPS 8940

XPS 8940

Intel's Driver and Support Assistant website indicates that Intel has a new video driver that will work with the Intel onboard Video adapter in my XPS 8940. The last driver update from Dell was Version 27.20.100.9664, A00, dated Sept of 2021. The latest Driver from Intel is Version 30.0.101.1994, dated May of 2022.

Intel includes a warning that says:

"Installing this graphics driver from Intel may remove customizations from your computer manufacturer (OEM).

If a newer graphics driver is available from Dell, we recommend you install that driver instead. To learn more about installing an Intel driver on your OEM system, refer to this article. If you encounter any issues with the Intel driver, please report them to us.

If you have a 6th Generation Intel® processor or higher, your computer manufacturer’s customizations will remain intact after upgrading to this graphics driver. To identify your Intel® Processor generation, see How to Find the Generation of Intel® Core™ Processors."

Has anyone here used the most current Intel Driver (since Dell in numerous updates behind), and have you had any issues using the newer Intel Drivers instead of waiting for Dell to update theirs?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 19th, 2022 16:00

If you have an add-in video card and none of your monitors are connected to either of the onboard Intel Graphics ports, updating the Intel driver won't make any difference to you because you're not using Intel Graphics.

And check in BIOS setup to make sure the Primary Display option is set to use the add-in video card.

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

July 19th, 2022 20:00

I have had no issues using a recent-ish Intel driver on my Vostro 5890 with Intel graphics. There's an issue with the older drivers that still rankles (and which Dell still hasn't patched): a memory leak that can cause frequent system instability and hangs. (Systems with Gen-11 CPUs are supposedly immune.) I had this problem from the day my system was delivered last October, and could get no relief from Dell, but 30.0.101.1191 and later drivers from Intel fix the problem. I'm still on that rev but I imagine newer drivers will work just as well.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

July 20th, 2022 07:00

I have updated the files, but like Ron said, I know it would not matter as I have an Nvidia card that controls the monitor.

I'll also add Dell doesn't seem to 'grab' the latest vendor (including Intel's) driver updates/releases and 'test' them. They will only have the last one they tested.

As for Nvidia, I have taken and installed every one they release without a functional problem. I suspect if I were using the Intel 'card' the same would apply.

Only problem that could happen is you might have to restore your PC before you installed the Intel update, and that requires you to use some backup program. Still, one would think that that would be a low possibility issue. I think Windows would default to its video driver (low resolution) if it couldn't load the video driver, and if that were the case you could use Device Manager to rollback to the prior driver on the video card.

Bottom line, I've never had any problems getting a vendor's drivers. Now it is possible that in some cases Dell DOES make changes to handle the cards they sell (not the embedded Intel ones) but that is rare I guess? 

No Events found!