Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2020 07:00

XPS 8940 SE, new, bad motherboard

I received a new XPS 8940 SE last week (i7-10700, RTS 2060, 1tb NVMe) and so far have found it to be very fast and quiet. I updated all drivers and  bios. As I am working, I noticed that the power button led is flashing 3 amber and 2 white lights. I ran support assist and also pre-boot troubleshooter and all came back normal. This one troubled me as in the Service Manual this sequence of flashes indicate that the motherboard needs replacing. I contacted Dell support and sure enough, they scheduled an appointment to have the motherboard replaced! The system is running flawlessly and I am using it now as my go to desktop. Quite strange and disappointing for a new Dell. I have an XPS 8700 which is still running flawlessly for 6 1/2 years!

Anyone else having motherboard issues with the XPS 8940 SE?

19 Posts

October 3rd, 2020 06:00

Thanks for the recommendations.  I suspected it was a firmware problem as swapping the GPU, motherboard,  and a new PC did not fix the problem.  The monitor that has a problem is an older monitor (5 years) which I use for setup.   I'm ready to move the 8940 to a newer ASUS monitor which I know doesn't have this issue (it's replacing an XPS 8700 which served me well for 6 years).  So I'm done with troubleshooting for now.   I will look at for the firmware update as I run Support Assist on a monthly basis.

Ciao

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2020 12:00

And maybe look for a firmware update for that monitor too...

October 30th, 2020 12:00

Are you still sure it was your monitor? I am having the same issue on my computer. I do not want to go through the same experience you did. Any suggestions?

October 30th, 2020 12:00

I have the same problem with my GTX 1660Ti

19 Posts

October 31st, 2020 07:00

By process of elimination, I think it was the monitor.   The XPS8940 works without error with a newer monitor.

November 10th, 2020 16:00

My unit had the same issue, but ended up restarting repeatedly so I got a new 8940 anyway. It has the same 3,2 amber to white blinking lights and I am thinking this is a flat out incompatibility issue with the monitor. If I start up the system without connecting it to the monitor it boots up solid white light then plug in the monitor it stays solid white. 

I doubt this led to my unit restarting repeatedly but I think I just have to get different monitors. The problem is these monitors are less than a few years old. I don't know what monitors I can waste my money on to find out what does(n't) work. What kind of monitor did you get?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 10th, 2020 17:00

@Databyter123 

Error 3,2 = PCI of Video card/chip failure

So that implies a video card failure.

You might want to physically remove the add-in video card and connect the monitor to either the onboard HDMI or DP ports. If that reslolves the issue, contact Dell Tech Support about a replacement video card.

November 10th, 2020 17:00

@RoHe 

My new XPS 8940 has the exact same problem. It's so nice when someone else goes through the exact same thing and all the arduous troubleshooting has been well documented. XD

I have a question for you. I dealt with the 3,2 amber white light, the same as is documented in this forum, for a couple weeks before the PC started restarting every 15 minutes or so. Do you think that could be related? I have the same monitors that both have this HDMI-related problem.

19 Posts

November 11th, 2020 07:00

I have an ASUS 27" monitor from 2018 which works without problem.   I did not have the rebooting problem you experienced.  I wonder if the new BIOS that was issued a week ago fixes this issue (?).

5 Posts

April 9th, 2021 20:00

Did you continue getting the issue when no monitor was connected?

19 Posts

April 10th, 2021 07:00

No, I not have the issue with my current monitor.   The problem happened on older monitors.

11 Posts

February 23rd, 2023 13:00

Why are dell consumers so forgiving of repeated motherboard failures?  Starting with the XPS 8900/8910 thru to the 8900's, they all have motherboard issues.  Whoever the contractors are who are building the Motherboards are building garbage or Dell is ordering boards with low-end substandard components.  Within the first year of release, you are lucky to get a new board.  Mostly they start replacing bad boards with refurbished boards and after the first year, that is all you get.  I have serviced a lot of Dell machines and have come across machines that have gone threw 5 or more boards within the first 3 or 4 years.  Users need to get extended warranties.

No Events found!