Unsolved

Closed

J

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

April 22nd, 2021 13:00

XPS 8940, Samsung EVO 970 Plus, slow performance

Has anyone successfully used an EVO 970 or EVO 980 SSD in an XPS 8940?

I've changed the BIOS from RAID to AHCI.

I've installed the Samsung NVMe driver.

I've confirmed that it is seated properly and is using PCIe x4

I've even tried installing Windows 10.

Can only get 800-900 MB/s sequential read & write speeds. Should be getting +3,000 MB/s.

Thanks.

• 

25.7K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

101 Posts

Yes, I'm using the 970 Evo Plus and it's working fine.  What driver are you using?  I performed a clean install just to make sure all worked well.

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

April 22nd, 2021 14:00

I have also done a clean install then installed the Samsung NVMe version 3.3 driver.

Samsung Magician also shows that I've got the latest firmware and that the SSD does have a PCIe 3x4 interface.

101 Posts

April 22nd, 2021 18:00

I'm not running Magician because I've had a few quirks with it over the last couple of years.  I do have the latest firmware though.  I assume you're not having heat issues??

• 

17K Posts

April 23rd, 2021 08:00

jc_m,
Below are the storage specs for your computer. 

This section lists the storage options on your XPS 8940.

Your computer ships one of the following configurations:
  • One 3.5-inch hard drive
  • One M.2 2230/2280 solid-state drive
  • One 3.5-inch hard drive and one M.2 2230/2280 solid-state drive
  • One 3.5-inch hard drive and one M.2 2280 Intel Optane memory
NOTE: This computer is shipped with two empty 2.5-inch hard-drive cages and one SATA extension cable.
The primary drive of your computer varies with the storage configuration. For computers:
  • with a M.2 solid-state drive, the M.2 solid-state drive is the primary drive
  • without a M.2 drive, the 3.5-inch hard drive is the primary drive
Storage type Interface type Capacity

3.5-inch hard drive

SATA AHCI, up to 6 Gbps

Up to 2 TB

M.2 2230/2280 solid-state drive

PCIe Gen3.0x4 NVMe, up to 32 Gbps

Up to 2 TB

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

April 23rd, 2021 09:00

No heat issues.

And it has the latest firmware.

16 Posts

April 29th, 2021 09:00

I'm having very similar problems with the latest top-of-the range XPS 8940.

• 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i9-11900K 
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 Ti™ 
  • 16GB, 8Gx2, DDR4, 2933MHz
  • 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
Ran the PassMark PC Systems Benchmark test as shipped - straight out of the Dell box.  Overall PC System PassMark of c.8000 (94th percentile).  About what I expected, given this is a standard, off-the-shelf build, not optimised for gaming.

But on closer inspection of the component tests, it is apparent that there is a serious problem with the performance of the supplied SSD, a 1TB SK hynix NVMe PC611.  I downloaded all the latest drivers and BIOS  from Dell (only 3 updates), but this made absolutely no difference.

On PassMart, there are similar Dell XPS configs with the same SSD (Intel Gen 10 and older graphics cards) but mine is definitely 50% below par on the hard drive benchmarks.  The PC611 has an average DiskMark of 21,273, the Dells were all in this range +/-20%.  My DiskMark is only 10915.  

Also ran CrystalDisk 8 to ensure there wasn't a problem with PassMark.  Same issue.  Slow sequential read and write rates of 860 MB/s and 830 MB/s respectively.

Read on for what happened when I installed a Samsung SSD 980 PRO ( Spoiler alert: Nothing changed!)  

16 Posts

April 29th, 2021 10:00

Yesterday, I installed a Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 (Model: MZ-V8P2T0 in a SABRENT M.2 to PCIe X4 card (Model EC-PCIE) in the spare slot next to the graphics card.

I understand that the Dell XPS 8940 only supports PCIe 3.0, but it is one of the top 20 NVMe M.2 SSDs on the market, so there should be some noticeable difference in performance.

But it made no difference what-so-ever.  Both the SK hynix PC611 and the Samsung 980 PRO return near idential sequential benchmarks, whether run using PassMark, Crystal or now with Samsung Magician.  Magician reports sequential read speeds of 905 MB/s and 906 MB/s for the 980 PRO and the SK SSDs.

My conclusion is that something within the Dell configuration (motherboard, BIOS, drivers, etc.) is throttling both PCIe SSDs.  Otherwise there should be some difference in the benchmarks from two different SSD manufacturers and specifications.

April 29th, 2021 11:00

mine is similar system:

xps8940   11700K processor, 

Nvidia 3070, 

Samsung NVME PM9A1, 64 GB memory, 

Win 10 pro, Killer WIFI

16 Posts

April 30th, 2021 04:00

Further updates that may help others diagnose what is going on here:

After installation, various metrics and features of the Samsung 980 PRO were disabled in Samsung Magician, although the SSD was functional at the Windows 10 level.

Magician reported "Compatibility Issues" with the Intel Corp 18.31.2.1034 device driver.  I initially thought to test the bespoke Samsung device driver available with most Samsung SSD products to overcome this. But Samsung have not released a supported driver for the 980 PRO and expect to use the standard Windows drivers.  And Windows Device Manager showed that the Samsung Disk Drive was using a Microsoft driver.

Further investigation of the Device Manager folders traced the incompatible Intel driver to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) driver used to support RAID.

I changed the BIOS from RAID to AHCI - you need to restart Windows in Safe Mode to effect the change, or it won't boot up first time.

The Compatibility Issue went away in Samsung Magician.  I could now see that Device Manager under Storage Controllers showed the Standard NVM Express Controller was operational using Microsoft driver 10.0.19041.844.

Having read about the potential impact of RAID vs AHCI on SSD performance, I hoped the benchmarks would now improve.  But there was no difference for sequential read/write speeds!

However, the IOPS (random) rates improved for both the Samsung 980 PRO and the SK hynix drives by using AHCI.   I now get PassMark figures of 1286 / 1215 for the 32KQD20 test and 98 / 70 for the 4KQD1 test.  (Figures are for 980 PRO / PC611).

As expected, where the SSDs ability to push data across the Dell's PCIe 3.0 4x interface is not the limiting factor, the different SSDs' performance starts to become apparent.

A final test I've run using the PassMark Advanced Disk Test with both the Samsung and SK SSDs running sequential reads with very large block sizes, show both SSDs' transfer speed capped at almost exactly 500 MB/s each as they contend for PCIe bandwith.

It's as though the Dell XPS8940 is only using a single PCIe 3.0 bus lane running at maximum throughput - 1000 MB/s shared by the two SSDs at 500 MB/s each - instead of the 4x lanes (4 GB/s) it should be using.  

16 Posts

May 2nd, 2021 11:00

Some progress in isolating the fault:

I've been asked to rebuild the system as shipped, so that Dell can continue to provide support.  To remove the Sabrent M.2 to PCIe card from the X4 PCIe motherboard slot, I first removed the RTX 3060 Ti card, to have clear access.   Then I thought: "How would the SSD perform in the PCIe 3.0 graphics card slot I've just freed up, if I run the monitor off the integrated Intel UHD 750 video?"

Yes!  Samung 980 PRO now gives a disk PassMark of 37,722 (99th percentile).  Sequential read is a respectable 3,380 MB/s and sequential write at 3,275 MB/s (up from c. 850 MB/s) - basically 4 times faster.

What about the Dell-supplied SK PC611 SSD?  Temporarily installing that in the Sabrent PCIe card in the freed up graphics card slot also gave the expected benchmark results.  Disk passmark of 23,798 (top quartile), with sequential read rate of 2,260 MB/s and sequential write at 2,060 MB/s (again up from c. 850 MB/s) - over twice as fast.

Just to be absolutely sure it was nothing to do with removing the RTX 3060 Ti card, I repeated the tests in the 4x motherboard slot with the same slow results reported previously. 

Why the difference?  The PCIe x16 lane graphics card slot (of which only x4 are used for the SSD tests) is linked directly to the Intel CPU.  The other PCIe x4 and M.2 slots are linked to the CPU via the Intel PCH chipset (H470) over DMI 3.0.

Looking at the PassMark results for Dell 0427JK motherboards, all Disk Passmark figures look bad, except for one system with a Samsung 980 PRO using Intel 750 integrated graphics - presumably it's been installed in the graphics slot as described above.  For the rest of us with a high-end graphics card and badly performing SSDs, what's the next step?

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2021 14:00

@1km1km1km I think you have hit the limitation of the DMI 3.0 interface between the PCH and the CPU. If you require high-performance graphics and high-performance SSD then the next step is a different CPU and chipset with more than 16.PCIe 3.0 CPU lanes. I think the work you did to analyze this problem was commendable. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 2nd, 2021 16:00

All - I contacted my Dell tech contacts about the SSD performance issue in the XPS 8940 ~1- 2 weeks ago.

I'll pass along the info that @1km1km1km posted which might help them figure out why the NVME slot is so slow..

16 Posts

May 3rd, 2021 02:00

Thank you @Vic384. What is still a mystery is why the DMI 3.0 - which should have the equivalent bandwidth to a PCIe 3.0 4-lane interconnect - could be the bottleneck.

16 Posts

May 3rd, 2021 02:00

@RoHe - Thanks for your support with this. DellCare have also confirmed via PM that they are passing it to their engineering team for a response.
No Events found!