Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BB

6 Posts

April 6th, 2022 14:00

XPS 8940, wake on lan (WOL) not working

Upon contacting Dell support to get help with setting up WOL on my XPS8940 Dell support initiated a replacement of my XPS8940 motherboard. Now the motherboard has been replaced but WOL is still not working. I have followed the setup instructions provided by Dell article # 0001755283.  The problem is that after shutdown of the XPS8940 the Network LEDs are not on ( this is required per the above Dell article) . If the network LEDs are not on, the computer can't receive the magic packet which will wake up the computer. Why are the Network LEDs not on after shutdown of the computer?  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 7th, 2022 18:00

Version of Windows?

Which Killer Ethernet do you have?

Version of Killer driver?

Is PC connected to a surge protector or power strip? Are you leaving them turned on? Have you tried without connecting through them?

Open Device Manager and double-click the entry for Killer Ethernet. If there's an Advanced tab, go down that list looking for things like Shutdown Wake Up, Wake on Magic Packet, and Wake On Pattern Match, and make sure they're Enabled, if not already set that way.

Exit Device Manager and reboot. Then shut down normally and check Ethernet LED status again...

EDIT: Version of BIOS?

April 7th, 2022 19:00

1. Windows 11Pro

2. Killer E2600 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

3. Driver Version: 10.47.121.2021

4. PC is connected through surge protector which is always on

5. I have done all required adjustments to the Killer E2600 NIC including  Power Management and Advanced setup.

For your info: I have two other  computers (HP and Lenovo) on the LAN.  Both are setup for WOL and both are responding to magic packet wake up without a problem. Unfortunately the Dell XPS8940 does not keep the Ethernet NIC powered on after shutdown. This prevents the computer from responding to WOL.

There seems to be a problem with the  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 8th, 2022 10:00

You didn't mention the version of BIOS...

Sure about that Killer Ethernet driver number? The support page says 3.1121.1158, A34 is the latest, though that might just be the package number and not the actual driver number.

Sounds like you'll have to work with Dell Tech Support to get another motherboard installed...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 8th, 2022 11:00

@bhs-berkeley   - Just spotted this thread which may have the solution for you too...

Let us know if that solves the problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

@bhs-berkeley  Keep in mind that BIOS 2.4.0 is causing random freezes/crashes on XPS 8940. Lots of threads about this problem.

So you may want to downgrade BIOS back to 2..3.0 which is the only known work-around, until Dell replaces 2.4.0.

I updated the BIOS. Current version: 2.4.0

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

I just pinged my Dell contacts about this....

April 8th, 2022 20:00

RoHe thank you for the thread. It seems another person had similar WOL issues with the XPS8940 and was able to figure out which settings would work for him. He did not spell out in the thread what those settings were. Also his BIOS snippets seems to show other configuration settings than what I see in my current BIOS. For example his BIOS has a "Deep Sleep" setting whereas my BIOS shows a "Block Sleep" setting instead. I think Dell needs to come up with specific instructions how to achieve working WOL settings on the XPS8940.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 9th, 2022 14:00

@bhs-berkeley  That other thread doesn't mention any BIOS version number so it's possible the options were are different than what you see in v2.4.0.

So just disable Fast Startup in Windows, which was said to be the WOL fix in that thread:

1. Boot to desktop
  2. Open Power & Sleep screen
  3. Click Additional power settings
  4. Click Change what power buttons do
  5. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable
  6. UNcheck Turn on fast startup
  7. Click Save changes
  8. Do a full power-off shutdown, not just a Restart.
  9. Then power on and boot to desktop
  10. Power off normally and check Ethernet LED status now

NOTE: With fast startup disabled, your boot times will be noticeably longer than they are with FS enabled. So you make a trade-off of getting WOL to work vs fast boot times.

April 10th, 2022 13:00

RoHe: As I said before I have followed exactly Dell Article Number 000175283 " How to setup Wake on Lan on your Dell System". This Article requires to disable fast startup and gives precise instructions how to do that. I have disabled fast startup a long time ago.  The Dell support team checked my settings by remote computer control. Since the correct settings did not fix the WOL issue, Dell Support ordered the replacement of the motherboard. Now the new motherboard has been installed, but WOL still does not work. The Dell engineering team must analyze the WOL problem of the XPS 8940 and publish a fix.  But thanks for your help anyway.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 11th, 2022 14:00

Hi, I am Riya assisting on behalf of kavya.

We have received an update from our product engineering team.

Could you please share the below details?

What is the tool that you are using as WOL on his network?

Is this issue observed from a complete shutdown as well as sleep/ hibernate?

Is this the first time you are trying this or has this worked earlier?

Are you using any docking station or adapters?

Also, could you follow the below steps and share an update on this 

While the system is off, disconnect the LAN & then plug it back in & check if the system starts when the packet is sent.

If waking outside Windows OS (complete shutdown) but not within Windows OS (Sleep / hibernate) it will be a driver issue.

Disable OS fast startup

Disable WOL, in BIOS & reset the BIOS (ensure that WOL is enabled again)

Disable all power save options for NIC & & then check if the issue persists

April 14th, 2022 17:00

Hi Riya, Sorry I did not reply sooner, I was away for a few days.

I believe we are going in circles on this issue. You are asking me the same questions over and over again so please focus on the issue. If you cannot help then say so. 

I say it again: I have followed exactly Dell article number 000175283 "How to setup Wake on Lan on your Dell System" .  After following all steps correctly, Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work on my  XPS8940 computer. Yes, I have enabled the BIOS for WOL, and yes, I have disabled fast startup on Windows 11pro and yes,  I set the power management properly on the Killer E2600 Ethernet network card. I am sending the WOL magic packet from my router which has the dd-wrt firmware with WOL. I am waking up two other computers with WOL from my router.  On the XPS 8940 the network card stays not powered on after shutdown and therefore cannot receive the wake up signal from the router. The problem is:  Why does the Killer E2600 Ethernet Card not have electrical power after shutdown. The network card LEDs are not illuminated after shutdown. This is the issue that must be addressed.     

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 13th, 2022 08:00

XPS 8940 users should update to BIOS 2.7.0. Then check the Dell BIOS for the applicable WOL options based on the Dell articles.

How to setup WOL on your Dell System

WOL, troubleshooting best practices

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 14th, 2022 09:00

Not sure if you ever got this working ...

My experience is that I've only had luck getting Windows machines to WoL (with a Magic-Packet) when it is in S3-Sleep-Mode . S3 is not the default Sleep-Mode any more, so check your BIOS options.

More generally, some machines are not 100% stable every-time they are awaken. You can get lucky, but for this reason, I don't use Sleep-Mode as much as before. 

Finally, I have a brand-new custom build here with a MSI motherboard. The LEDs of the (on-board) NIC port flash ... even when the machine is completely off and shut-down. They must be running from the PoE cable voltage . Can't see how that would indicate whether WoL was working or configured properly. 

No Events found!