Closed

L

3 Posts

March 18th, 2023 13:00

XPS 8950 Cooler Leak

XPS 8950

XPS 8950

Hi everyone,

So I recently purchased an XPS 8950 and everything set up and was working great for a week or two until I starting hearing loud gurgling sounds likely coming from the AIO liquid cooling system. Opened it up today and saw that the pump is leaking an oily fluid from the bottom of the casing and there's fluid all over the power supply casing. Very disappointed with this!

My question is should I replace or return this and move on from Dell? Is the cooling system leak common? I'm concerned this is just an indicator of things to come and am not sure if I have confidence in Dell products.

I'm not a computer expert and chose the parts for this build for music production. Not sure if I'm up for building one on my own. Custom builders with my same level of components would be significantly higher (~$1400).

Any advice from experienced XPS customers world be appreciated. Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

March 18th, 2023 18:00

Dell oem AIO leak is very uncommon, but it can happen.  It is a bit of bad luck.  If you still have warranty you should get a full replacement.

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

March 19th, 2023 08:00

Very rare. Just like Helium Disk may leak Helium. 

3 Posts

March 19th, 2023 11:00

Ok good to know. Thanks for the feedback. Just my luck I guess.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

March 19th, 2023 13:00

it is wise not to service or attempt clean up leaked cooler fluid.  close the pc and do not use it any more leave it for return.  traditionally asetek (Dell oem cooler maker) used ethylene glycol mix in the AIO which is toxic.  not sure what they are using these days but the report of oily fluid speaks of chemical you definitely want to stay clear off.

3 Posts

March 19th, 2023 15:00

Thanks for sharing. I did touch it because I didn't know what is was and was trying to find where the leak was. Nasty stuff.

No Events found!