Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2022 14:00

XPS 8950, freezing up

I've had my XPS 8950 with i7-12700K, 3060Ti for two weeks and every single day it's frozen up on me. Just usual standard ms apps, not even gaming and the first time it happened was just a few minutes after turning on for the first time. So annoying!  Friday it managed to stay up for 7hrs, but this morning.... 3 freeze ups in 2hrs so far.

Dell "Premium" support have been giving me the run around for over TWO WEEKS, having me do all kinds of things.  Clearly feels like a hardware issue. I've even done a fresh install of Win 10 (downgrading from 11) and the issue persists.

I've not had it in safe mode, but happens otherwise even with just the wired dell mouse and keyboard as the only connected devices. Doesn't matter whether I'm actively using it or it's idle and it's totally random, it can take 10 mins to freeze or 6hrs.

All the latest firmware, drivers, etc. and I've eliminated the ram.

No crash reports, obvs, because it just freezes.

Anyone else getting similar?

I think I may have tied this down to my Samsung T5 1TB SSD, which was connected via the USB-C port on the back.  The same happened if plug in at the front. However, since removing it, it's been ok for a few hours. I've since plugged it into a standard USB port at the back with a different cable.

This was after chatting with a technician from Dell who suggested removing all  USB devices and letting the machine sit in the bios for a bit, to see if it still froze.

15 Posts

July 8th, 2022 12:00

The unit was finally returned for repair, though I've since decided they can keep it. I just want out. Too close to the 30 days and something tells me all they're going to do is re-install Windows for the 3rd time.

Lost interest in Dell completely.  Asked for a refund and was told the following by support:

The refund was already approved. We already process the refund.

And when asked what the amount would be and why I hadn't had anything by email to confirm this, I was told;

It's equivalent to what you purchased from us.

After that, I went to check with Customer Care and was told;

Once you have the device back we will check for refund approval and raise the refund request where first the system is pulled back to Dell and then the refund request is initiated.

What a game this is and a total waste of time. They ship it back to me and then they refuse a refund.  Right!

1 Rookie

• 

115 Posts

July 4th, 2022 05:00

Our XPS 8950 has not experienced this type of issue. You may want to have Dell send you a NEW DEVICE and sending this one back, as it seems defective.

15 Posts

July 4th, 2022 07:00

Looks like you are right.  I just did (another) clean windows reset, updated the drivers after and did the windows updates.  Installed chrome, sat on the dell support page for a few minutes and it was frozen.  Just the wired kb/mouse connected.

I've really been sent around the houses on this for over 2 weeks by dell support and to top it off, now they've agreed to take it back they can't even seem to get the service tag correct.  I just had a return service created for me with somebody else's machine tag.  Dell.... Never again!

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

July 4th, 2022 08:00

My 8950 with 12700k and 3060TI has had no issues that you are describing. I got mine end of December 2021. I would be persistent with dell about getting a replacement.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

July 4th, 2022 08:00

This is a common problem on XPS 8940's...

Nvidia cards and certain BIOS's.

Could be the 'rogue' code was put into 8950 BIOS? Try using an older BIOS, it might not have the problem.

It is the BIOS on the 8940's, even Linux users have hit it.

Just seems odd it is now happening on the 8950? One way to 'prove' it, DISABLE the Nvidia card and use the HD750 on-board video... see if it happens that way (yeah, it might not perform as well, but this is a valid test to pinpoint the problem), but you might need to physically remove the card however if it should still happen.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 4th, 2022 10:00

@Si75   -  Is anything being reported around time of a freeze in Windows Event Viewer or in Windows Reliability Monitor?

If it's not freezing in Safe Mode, something loading at normal boot is the problem. You can go to the Startup tab in Task Manager and disable one or a few things at a time and reboot normally. See if it still freezes.

Just don't disable essentials like your anti-malware app, unless you're using McAfee. In this case, disable McAfee and PC should automatically revert to using the built-in Windows Security (aka: Windows Defender) so reboot immediately and confirm that Windows Security is running.

Use the PC for a while after booting normally. If it doesn't freeze, re-enable one item at a time on the Startup tab until you find the one that's causing the problem (eg, Dell SupportAssist or Dell Update...?)

BTW: Did you do a factory Reset or a clean install of Win 11? If the factory image is corrupted, you'd just be reinstalling a bad image by doing a Reset. So you might want to do a clean install using the Win 11 Media Creation Tool at the Microsoft site.

15 Posts

July 4th, 2022 11:00

Nothing, when it freezes it's properly frozen.  No time to write to logs, etc.  Reminds me of when a graphics card would lock up your system from 25 years ago.

When I downgraded and did a clean install of Win 10, that was via the MS media creation tool.  Froze.  Upgraded back to 11, froze.  Did a windows reset with all files being deleted, froze.

Whilst it didn't freeze in safe mode, I did pretty much all I could in terms of disabling devices and services without losing my mind.  I even checked which devices hadn't had a driver loaded in safe mode, disabled them and then booted normally.  Froze.

It's easily reproducable, I just boot to the clean install, login and wait.  Takes anything up to 30 mins, as little as 5 or so.

It's packaged up for return now...  It passes all the bios hardware checks, but what a game this has been trying to diagnose it myself.  If it's freezing on a clean install of Windows after 5 mins then it's clearly got an issue of some kind.

15 Posts

July 8th, 2022 09:00

Years ago (20?) Dell was a reputable company. Coming back to them 20 years later, it seems to have been totally destroyed by the complete lack of customer support. I have been messed around from start to finish after they sent me out a duff machine. Then they messed up the return (which took ages to arrange) and used someone else's service tag.  Then another wrong service tag. 

I have totally lost confidence in Dell. Currently the machine is with them and I'm asking for a refund, three times I've been told a refund request will be raised and yet STILL they are insisting I take delivery of it once it is "repaired".  

A total and utter shambles. Never again Dell, never again!

• 

25.7K Posts

July 8th, 2022 10:00

Greetings!

This is Abhijit, one of the Supervisors at Dell Social Media Support.

This case was brought to my attention. I've reviewed your journey with us, and I apologize for the inconvenience you’ve experienced.

We are keen on having the issue addressed. Don’t worry, I’ll be making sure there are no unnecessary delays in resolving this issue. The service is in progress and as per the update the system has arrived at the repair center today and our team is working on it. We will keep a close look at the case and share the updates with you.

Take Care & Stay Safe.

Abhijit

No Events found!