Start a Conversation

Unsolved

MV

12 Posts

January 12th, 2022 08:00

XPS 8950, noctua fans, error on startup

I replaced both front and rear fan with noctua 120mm  Pwm. Both show errors on start up.Other post suggest that the low starting speed causes this. The 4 pin wiring is the same on the Noctua  and dell fan. I have ordered   Cooler Master  SF120M With a 600 rpm starting speed, will follow up.

January 13th, 2022 17:00

Replaced front case fan and added 1 more 120mm fan on top. Replace  Liquid cooling fan .

All were replace with Cooler Master SF120M    No error on start up.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 13th, 2022 22:00

Even if it is the correct voltage and correct number of pins ... sometimes Dell/HP switch pins around. 

Or, the initial RPM is different than stock. It reads "out of spec" and the machine thinks it is bad.

I suggest you reinstall the stock fans. If they are bad, ask Dell for new ones. These XPS machines are traditionally very quite when not under heavy load.

January 14th, 2022 15:00

Liquid cooling fan show error this morning . Back to stock fan.

1 Message

January 19th, 2023 12:00

I replaced my front fan by a Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM and also got this errors at system boot (also bought one to replace the rear fan, but didn't dare to replace it yet).
When you get the boot error you get the option to run diagnostic tests of (all) your systems hardare. I did that, and after passing every thing quickly, it took a very long time to complete the test of my front fan, after which it failed.
After that I continued to start up the system, and after it was turn off later on, it never showed the error message again.
Looks as if the machine learned something about the new hardware from this testing.
Don't exactly understand what happend, but I'm happy with it!

No Events found!