Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

February 1st, 2018 07:00

XPS Studio 7100 Dell. 4 beeps constantly at startup.

Good afternoon. I apologise if there is already a thread on this, but I have been trying to solve this issue for days now.

I decided to clean my pc, i reconnected everything and when i powered my PC back on there would be no display from monitor. I get 4 beeps then another set of 4 beeps and it continues. Im pretty sure its not my ram memory sticks because they were all working perfectly fine before cleaning pc. I even tested them out one by one but still get constant 4 beeps.
Im scared i may have damaged the motherboard in this regard because I cant think of what else the problem may be.

I would really appreciate some help.
I had brought this pc around the year 2010..

Kind regards,
Anooo.

• 

17K Posts

February 1st, 2018 08:00

Anoop101.

Below is the beep code chart for this system.

System Beep Codes

The Studio XPS 7100 can emit a series of beeps during start-up if the display cannot show errors or problems. These series of beeps, called beep codes, identify various problems.

1. 3 means 3-3-3-3...That is 3 beeps and 3 beeps and ...: Endless looping until user presses the power button to shut down the system.
  2. The delay between each beep is 300ms, The delay between each set of beeps is 3 sec, The beep sound last 300ms.
  3. After each beep and each set of beeps, the BIOS should detect if the user presses the power button, if so, BIOS will jump out from looping and execute the normal shutdown process and power system.
Power LED Status Beep Description Failure Coverage
Image - Illustrates the power button light is steady amber. 1 BIOS ROM checksum in progress or failure. BIOS Chip System board failure, covers BIOS corruption or ROM error
Image - Illustrates the power button light is steady amber. 2 No RAM Detected No memory detected
Image - Illustratres the power button light is blinking amber. 3 Chipset Error (North and South Bridge Chipset, DMA/IMR/Timer Error for Intel platform); Chipset Error System board Failure
(Power LED Blinking Amber)
Time-Of-Day Clock test failure.
Gate A20 failure
Super I/O chip failure
Keyboard controller test failure.
Image - Illustrates the power button light is steady amber. 4 RAM Read/Write failure Memory failure
Image - Illustrates the power button light is steady amber. 5 RTC Power Fail COMS battery failure
Image - Illustrates the power button light is steady amber. 6 Video BIOS Test Failure Video card failure

Previous   Next 

24 Posts

February 1st, 2018 13:00

Thanks for that.

However, the problem still remains. 

I have taken out the 4 RAM memory sticks, I even reshuffled them about.

Still I get 4 beeps!

I must tell you that I attempted to clean the motherboard by using air pressure can, there was some liquid that may have dropped but it evaporated onto the motherboard. could this be the cause of the problem?

I'm scared I have damaged the motherboard, and it may have died.

I still don't know what the problem is.

should I purchase a motherboard tester to see if it it's not the motherboard and may be some other underlying problem?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 1st, 2018 17:00

Do you have an add-in video card (AMD or NVidia)?

Add-in video cards have memory chips on them, so try reseating the video card in its slot because sometimes a 4 beep error can mean the video card RAM. (You can't remove the RAM from the video card and reseat it.)

After reseating the video card, remove motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec to see if you can clear the error. Then reinstall the battery, close up and see if it boots now.

24 Posts

February 2nd, 2018 08:00

Thanks for the prompt reply / help.

i tried doing that, but still I get 4 beeps.

I even tried taking the graphics card out just to be assured that it's not graphics card problem and left the ram memory sticks in, and still get 4 beeps.

I've looked at purchasing the same motherboard again to test and see if it isn't a RAM sticks or graphics card or is indeed the motherboard.

I never knew fixing a computer would be soo time consuming haha!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 12:00

Computers are black boxes into which you pour time! :Wink:

Did you press/hold power button for ~30 sec (with PC unplugged) after you removed the video card?

If you take all 4 RAM modules out and reboot, do you get 2 beeps? If not, motherboard failure is possible.

Don't  know how much a new motherboard will cost, but only you can decide if it's worth the money to put a new motherboard in this older system, vs putting that money toward a new PC.

24 Posts

April 1st, 2018 03:00

Thanks for the help you guys.

I just wanted to update you on how I solved the problem. 

I tried everything to fitting in new Rams, to replacing graphics card and everything.

The only solution for me was to change the motherboard. i just brought the exact same motherboard and now everything works well.

Thanks again for the help and support.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 1st, 2018 17:00

Glad you got it working again. :Yes:

No Events found!