Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 17th, 2018 23:00

XPS 15 9560, docking station, 4K 60Hz?

Hey, I was looking for a docking station for my dell xps 15 9560 Dell WD15, which looks amazing! Power supply and a **power button**. However, it does not support 4k@60hz and my dreams fell apart.

Do you guys know about any other product that might meet the above requirements? (Power supply, a power button and 4k@60hz).

Or maybe dell can confirm it will release one in the future? 

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 18th, 2018 05:00

The WD15 has a Sleep/Wake button, not a power button. Apparently regular USB-C doesn’t allow a proper power button, which is why you’re having trouble. But the WD15 also doesn’t support 4K at 60 Hz. The TB16 has a power button and supports up to dual 4K @ 60 Hz, but it requires your system to support Thunderbolt 3.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 18th, 2018 05:00

Sorry, missed that you specified the system you plan to use it with. The XPS 15 comes standard with Thunderbolt 3, so you’re fine to use the TB16, but you have to get the version that comes with a 240W power supply to use it with that system.

2 Posts

May 20th, 2018 06:00

Thanks! Does the TB16 comes also with a sleep/wake button or is it an actual power button?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 21st, 2018 07:00

@YakirOzwrote:

Thanks! Does the TB16 comes also with a sleep/wake button or is it an actual power button?

It's a power button, but you can use Windows Power Settings to have the power button put the system to sleep rather than shutting it down, and if you press a Power button while the system is asleep, then it will wake back up.  Basically it works just like the Power button built into your system, and its better than a Sleep/Wake button because that can only resume the system if it's sleeping, not power it up from being completely off.  If you have detailed technical questions or concerns, you may find it useful to read the TB16 manual, which you can find at support.dell.com by selecting Choose from products > Accessories > Docks.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2018 13:00

The TB16 sounds good. I've found it quite hard to find something the suits my needs. Will it charge the XPS 15 at the same time?

So 2 4k 60hz monitors and charging the laptop all by one thunderbolt 3 cable from the laptop to the dock.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 6th, 2018 15:00

@oxlade39 wrote:

The TB16 sounds good. I've found it quite hard to find something the suits my needs. Will it charge the XPS 15 at the same time?

So 2 4k 60hz monitors and charging the laptop all by one thunderbolt 3 cable from the laptop to the dock.

Yes, the TB16 will charge an XPS 15 as long as you get the version of the TB16 that comes with a 240W AC adapter, not the 180W adapter version.  And yes you can run dual 4K 60 Hz displays while also charging the laptop (and running Ethernet, audio, USB traffic, any upstream Thunderbolt peripherals, etc.), all on a single TB3 cable.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2018 23:00

Thanks. What connections from the dock to monitors would I then use for dual 4k 60hz? Would I need a further thunderbolt to dual display port cable? Or are there some combination of outputs direct from the dock to still achieve this?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 7th, 2018 07:00

@oxlade39 wrote:

Thanks. What connections from the dock to monitors would I then use for dual 4k 60hz? Would I need a further thunderbolt to dual display port cable? Or are there some combination of outputs direct from the dock to still achieve this?

This and other useful information is available in the TB16 User Guide on the support page here, but the DisplayPort, Mini-DisplayPort, and USB-C outputs all support 4K at 60 Hz, so you can use any two of those.  And since there are DisplayPort to Mini-DisplayPort cables (in addition to regular DisplayPort and regular Mini-DisplayPort cables, of course), even if you had a pair of displays that only offered a single type of DisplayPort input, you could use both of those outputs on the dock with them.

No Events found!